• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Battle of the Test Matches

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Australia vs England, Melbourne, Third Test, 1936-37 - catalyst for one of the all time great series comebacks.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I'll go for 1982/3 too. The 1930's game was better in many way, but I'm discounting it as it was so heavily affected by the conditions.

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
Much as chases like those have me blinking back tears (not unlike Edgbaston 2005 and Adelaide 1992-93), can't ignore Melbourne 1982-83.

The one consolation (unlike the other two) was that it was inconsequential to the series.

Last edited:

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
Melboune 1982 - close all the way through and Norman Cowans' finest hour (and very nearly Chris Tavare's worst moment!)

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator

Swervy

International Captain
Much as chases like those have me blinking back tears (not unlike Edgbaston 2005 and Adelaide 1992-93), can't ignore Melbourne 1982-83.

The one consolation (unlike the other two) was that it was inconsequential to the series.
it wasnt inconsequential to the series though, it gave England a chance to retain the Ashes, and if Johnny Dyson had have been given run out early on the first day in the last test (like he should have done, he was about two feet short of the crease) England might well have drawn that series

Fiery

Banned
New Zealand vs West Indies, Hamilton, First Test, 1999-2000

Cairns 10 wickets and 72 in the 1st inn