• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The technically most sound batsman

wasims_fan

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
who would u say is the most technically sound batsman in International Cricket today. I would say its Rahul Dravid and Yousaf Youhana.

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
Good call there. Those two are probably the best at technique. Jayawardene's not bad either though. Tendulkar is an obvious mention.

Often enough though the most defensive batsmen get labelled as the most technically correct. I think the two need to bee differentiated. Many good stroke players are technically good as well.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sarwan is pretty correct as is Ganga....but he's not in the team right now. If he were, he would have to be the most technically correct.

Top_Cat

Matthew Hayden. There's an example of a guys who's attacking and has a decent technique. If any of you guys can find a chink in the armour of him, I'd be surprised.

Rahul Dravid is suspect to deliveries outside off-stump as evidenced by his dimissals in AUstralia last time he was here and in the 1999 WC against Australia.

Yousef Youhanna is right up there, though. Tends to cover his off-stump pretty well and has a decent array of shots.

Sachin is right up there too. Him and Hayden seem to have few patterns to their dismissals, though against deliveries swinging away and bouncing, he's been out a few times. Having said that, most of them no-one else would have even touched.

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
I think this is another one of those threads to help compliment the Sub Continent batsman....
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Getting a bit old already...
:yawn::yawn::yawn::yawn::yawn::yawn::yawn::yawn::yawn:

Simon

Damien Martyn has a very good technique. He is a very good player and can play all the shots in the book.
Id say he is the best judge of leaving the ball in world cricket.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Michael clarke is worth a mention, Pontings and hayden are good too - you have to have have very good technique o be a good puller

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Originally posted by age_master
Michael clarke is worth a mention, Pontings and hayden are good too - you have to have have very good technique o be a good puller
Hmmm but when Ponting is out of form his Technique goes to pot...

Eclipse

International Debutant
Ponting has Fantastic Techneque in his stroke play but his deffense when in poor form can be suceptible. but hey his stroke plays bloody unreal :D

Eclipse

International Debutant
I would agree with broncoman on Damian Martyn I think In Deffence he is the best.

I cant ever remember Martyn being Cought behind or in the slips deffending he does when attacking somtimes but hes as solid as a rock in deffence.

royGilchrist

State 12th Man
So technically sound means batsman with the fewest flaws in their batting.

Inzi has not been mengtioned. Jayewardne for sure. Others have been mentioned.

Im not sure if this is for present day batsmen only, otherwise, Gavaskar stands out in my mind. Viv also was very solid, like they said the best way to get him out was to bore him. Later in his career, Haynes looked near flawless. Obviously Mark Waugh is up there. And one lesser known guy for batting technique, Imran Khan later in his career, comfortable against all kinds of bowling.

Also, someone who is easily overlooked but has a bit of a copy book technique, youngsters learning batting should follow this guy....Alec Stewart. People say he doesnt play well against spin but I think he has excellent footwork against spinners, in 1992 (?) he played Mushy the best I think.

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
as i seid before, if you can pull that well, you gotta have goot tech
Thats a funny theory, ponting is a good puller because of his back lift and low body position, which give him a natural advantage to get inside the line of the delivery. He is not the technically most sound batsman because of his weakness outside the offstump. Also the gap between bat and pad is huge. I dont think technique fades in and out with the form of the batsman, thats his natural style that doesn't change whatever form he is in.