• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Nuwan Kulasekara

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Just wondering about everyone's thoughts on this guy.

I know his record isn't particularly great at international level - in fact it is quite poor so far in terms of average - however I still don't know why he hasn't been given more of a run. To me, he seems perfect for the Maharoof/Fernando role currently being fought over in the test side - he really impressed me with his control over line and length the last time he came to Australia and he showed similar qualities the last time he went to NZ.

With Sri Lanka's much improved bowling attack with now contains Malinga, Vaas and of course Murali, all they need is someone to bowl a good line and length and keep the pressure on at the other end. Too often have I seen Maharoof or Fernando just have absolute shockers with ball in hand and release all the pressure - I think Kulasekera, given another chance, could prove to be quite a useful bowler at both test and ODI level. The fact that Fernando, Perera and Ganegama have been given games ahead of him seems mind-boggling to me.

And while we are on the topic of Sri Lankan sides, how the hell doesn't Michael Vandort get a run in the test side? I'd have him over Tharanga any day of the week.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah I heard he had very good control over his line and length. They should really give him more chances, Maharoof and Fernando are both very ordinary bowlers. Maharoof is very mediocre, while Fernando has been an under achiever for most of his career.

And Sri Lanka will need someone with Vaas like line and length control soon. I heard he bowls at a pretty decent pace as well and can get the ball to reverse.

Last edited:

dinu23

International Debutant
he is a decent bowler but he can also have shocking days like dilhara and maharoof.
and talking of Vandort he'll definitly be in the test team when Sanath leaves.

Lostman

State Captain
watch the SL v Eng 1st test at lords, he was one of the bowlers boycotts mom could have hit.:laugh:

Laurrz

International Debutant
i dont think hes anything special... he's not fast, doesn't look like he can swing it or seam it... and worse of all he doesn't get a lot of bounce from his height

what he does have tho is accuracy i guess... so he could be quite handy in ODI's but not tests

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Laurrz said:
i dont think hes anything special... he's not fast, doesn't look like he can swing it or seam it... and worse of all he doesn't get a lot of bounce from his height
Yeah I agree with that - I'm not saying he would be a world-beater. I'm simply saying that he could perform somewhat of a holding role to keep the pressure on. Even if doesn't take wickets, I don't think it is much of an issue because Maharoof/Fernando/Perera aren't going to do so anyway - they just need someone to keep the pressure on and not offer a release for the batsmen.

dinu23 said:
and talking of Vandort he'll definitly be in the test team when Sanath leaves.
I really think he should be in the team already though. Tharanga is an impressive one day opener but I'd still rather Vandort at test level.

thierry henry

International Coach
omg I had to bring this thread back, maybe you and I can start a Kulasekara fan club Prince.

I spent much of last summer calling for Kulasekara's inclusion in the SL ODI side, and it eventually happened in Australia.

Fernando is completely useless, Kulasekara is a tremendously accurate bowler (no pace, no bounce, no movement- but VERY accurate) and imo clearly miles better than Fernando for the job in the ODI team.

Craig

World Traveller
I have no idea what has happened to Fernando. He had it all, pace, bounce, height and a good slower ball, and yet he has had serious injury problems with his back, no-ball problems and a complete lack of confidence.

Definatly one I thought would make it but didn't.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I've been surprised by how slow Fernando's been this tour. I remember him being consistently in the 140s when I last saw him, he hasn't been near that this time.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Craig said:
I have no idea what has happened to Fernando. He had it all, pace, bounce, height and a good slower ball, and yet he has had serious injury problems with his back, no-ball problems and a complete lack of confidence.

Definatly one I thought would make it but didn't.
He's a "stupid" bowler who doesn't attempt to plan batsmen out as well as being horribly inaccurate to start with. He gets no movement and doesn't bowl with nearly enough pace to make up for it. He also has run-up problems.

Doesn't shock me at all that he has proven useless to be honest.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
thierry henry said:
omg I had to bring this thread back, maybe you and I can start a Kulasekara fan club Prince.

I spent much of last summer calling for Kulasekara's inclusion in the SL ODI side, and it eventually happened in Australia.

Fernando is completely useless, Kulasekara is a tremendously accurate bowler (no pace, no bounce, no movement- but VERY accurate) and imo clearly miles better than Fernando for the job in the ODI team.
Yeah, I really have no idea why Perera and Fernando get picked ahead of him for ODIs. As far as one day matches go, Kulasekara is the perfect first change bowler.

I even think he could play a useful role in tests, now that Sri Lanka have three bowlers who are genuine threats. Whenever he has played tests before, they have attempted to use him as a partnership breaker and that is not how he should be used. With Vaas, Malinga and Murali all in the side and bowling well, Nuwan could be used in test matches to use that great control he has to keep the pressure on from one end and slow the scoring. This is what they are trying to do with Maharoof but he's far too inconsistent at this stage and he bats at #9 below Vaas despite being picked on his allround abilities.

Kulasekara could perform a very important role for Sri Lanka in both forms - particularly one day cricket - now that they have formed an attack consisting of three genuinely threatening bowlers.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Kulasekara: Not the tallest of bowlers, decent with the old ball, but doesn't have pace or movement through the air or off the pitch. Didn't doo well at all, given whom he was replacing. Had one good match with the bat, but nothing else. Yes, he's quite accurate, but lacks power and variety. Batsmen can get used to him very quickly and then get on top of him. There have even been moments when the likes of Razzaq, Astle and McMillan have got on top of McGrath once they get set.

Dilhara Fernando: Often labelled as Sri Lanka's potentially most destructive bowler, he's often had to bowl with an old ball, sometimes against well-set batsmen, so it didn't help much. He's had his chances with a new ball, but not too many. Often known to spray the ball a few times, he's also bowled more han a few snorters. Definitely a lot better and more productive than any other seamer, bar Vaas.

Maharoof: Quite an aggressive bowler when he started, but isn't any more than an up-and-down medium-pacer. He's quite a good stock bowler to support the main four, but not good enough to make the main four. He doesn't cut it as a striker, and is only a value-added bowler like leggie Chandana, so his batting is also very important.

thierry henry

International Coach
Honestly, Fernando promised a little bit- tall and well built (which, let's be honest, is rare for a Sri Lankan bowler), and quick, apparently with the potential to get quicker.

Really though, bowling 140-145kph is nothing at international level. At no stage in Fernando's career has he been a particularly accurate or probing bowler, and after 100 matches his career rpo of something like 5.3 is frankly rather embarrassing.

thierry henry

International Coach
In 15 matches Kulasekara has an RPO of 4.37. The wickets will come if he can keep things that tight. Worth an extended run imo.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Arjun said:
Kulasekara: Not the tallest of bowlers, decent with the old ball, but doesn't have pace or movement through the air or off the pitch.
Spot on really.

Arjun said:
Didn't doo well at all, given whom he was replacing. Had one good match with the bat, but nothing else. Yes, he's quite accurate, but lacks power and variety.
I think it'd be different now though, considering the rest of SL's bowling attack. If they used him in the right role - that being building pressure at one end while the genuine threats of Murali of Malinga - he'd be a very important part of not only their one day attack, but their test attack as well.

Yeah, it'd be great if Sri Lanka could bring in another Vaas or another Murali, but lets face it - Perera, Ganegama, Fernando, Chandana, Maharoof et at are not in that class, and given the rise of Malinga, a super-accurate support bowler to squeeze up runs from one end would be a great thing to have as you could just attack from the other end with confidence that you wouldn't release the pressure.

Arjun said:
There have even been moments when the likes of Razzaq, Astle and McMillan have got on top of McGrath once they get set.
Yeah, that'd apply to any bowler though. I'm sure a set batsman would hammer the crap out of Fernando, Maharoof or Perera as well - in fact they'd do it to a greater degree...

Craig

World Traveller
Isn't the Perera you have mentioned Prince the sam,e one who has been in trouble with his action?

Reading some of these posts I guess it is easy to say the likes of Fernando keep getting games is because of a lack of options.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Craig said:
Isn't the Perera you have mentioned Prince the sam,e one who has been in trouble with his action?
Yeah. Not only is he an obvious chucker, but he bowls complete trash anyway.

Craig said:
Reading some of these posts I guess it is easy to say the likes of Fernando keep getting games is because of a lack of options.
Kulasekara is an option - and a good one at that.

Craig

World Traveller
Prince EWS said:
Yeah. Not only is he an obvious chucker, but he bowls complete trash anyway.

Kulasekara is an option - and a good one at that.
And then after that? Yeah I agree it is starting to look a bit thread bare in terms of quality.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Craig said:
And then after that? Yeah I agree it is starting to look a bit thread bare in terms of quality.
Well it doesn't really matter after that at this stage, because they aren't even picking Nuwan - hence this thread. :p