• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Murali the best bowler in history?

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
JBH001 said:
Not to mention Kaz0holic with his, "Its all against minnows at home!"

Haha! :laugh:
We got comedians here - funny enough they have their own rants.

To answer the thread: Nope.

Break his record to/home and away. Look at the sheer amount of wickets against minnows, the fact that he has no rival for wickets and it pretty much brings him right back down to Earth.

Francis

State Vice-Captain
In my opinion, no. But it doesn't matter who you think the world's best bowler is, he's bloody close to whoever is your choice. Stats mean very little when it comes to Murali for me. I've seen games where Murali has gotten five wickets and won the game for Sri Lanka, and I've seen games where he's bowled 90 overs and gotten more wickets, but took so long that it didn't impact the game. What I'm trying to say is, sometimes Murali's been more effective when statistically he hasn't lowered his average and strike-rate. And I've seen games where he's bowled marathon spells and gotten a load of wicket, but it took so incredibly long it didn't impact on the game enough.

I'm seen a hoard of games where Murali hasn't gotten wickets in the first 20 or even 30 overs, but when he's bowled 80 overs or so he may end up with nine wickets, which actually improves his strike-rate! I'm not knocking getting nine wickets, and bowling as long as he does is astonishing, but it's a long period of time for the opposition to take control and win the game.

It's just something ironic I've noticed. Murali has had great games, and more impacting performances when he's taken a simple fiver for over 100 runs than one of his long marathoon spells where get gets eight. It's something I think a lot of cricket fans should ponder: How much do stats really mean? They're just ratios. I find it rather silly when people say stuff like, "Ambrose is better than McGrath because he has a better average" when McGrath is one run behind Ambrose in average.

Murali's a mortal lock for me as one of the five best bowlers in cricket history. Where in that five? I don't quite know, but he's not number one for me. If he is for you, more power to you. I just hope you decision isn't based entirely on stats.

Last edited:

Francis

State Vice-Captain
Murali averages around 56 with the strike-rate doesn't he?

He's bowled 80 over spells before and gotten nine wickets... that lowers his strike rate. (53.33)

He's bowled 60 over spells before and taken seven wickets... that lowers his strike rate.(51.42)

Then there are games where he's been more successful in Sri Lanka winning the game. Where he might take:

5 wickets from 50 overs, which gives him a strike-rate of around 60.

I know it may not make sense immediately. But getting the wickets needed ten overs more quickly, despite getting less wickets, can save an entire sessions-worth of runs.

Last edited:

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Question - Is Murali the best bowler in history ?

Answer - Let History be the judge of that .

Afterall we are in the twilight of his career . So why not wait and see ... Let history judge him.

My personal opinion , he has singlehandedly won more Test matches than anyone else in the history of Cricket , he takes more Frontline batsmen for wickets [Not tailenders to boost his stats] , but for fear of starting another M v W thread ... I hold back and leave it there ... for history to judge him.:)

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
And another thing - if there is one man who in history of Cricket has changed the fortune's of his Team by his presence in the Team and if it were not for him the Team's fortune would be otherwise .... there is only one person I know who has done that over and over again ....