• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

# 6 for 1946-2006 World Test XI

# 6 for 1946-2005 world Test XI

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

adharcric

International Coach
Now that CW has messed up with Lara over Sobers at 5, we don't really have a choice do we? Have to include Sobers and go for the best we can salvage at this point. :dry:

JBH001

International Regular
Jeez, you guys sure do whine a lot.

Maybe this thread should be called the Aussie Tragic and SS best post WW2 XI?

And the rest of CW can just sit and applaud your collective wisdom?

(it sure would save on having to scroll through pages of complaining)

JBH001

International Regular
Incidentally, unless I am mistaken I was the 13th CW poster to vote for Lara.

Heheh :p

Seriously though, a side without Lara? No way - I would rather have dropped SRT from the list and had Lara in, as he is, imo, the marginally better batsman.

Also, you guys underate Sobers, by a long margin.

He is widely regarded as the best all-rounder of all time, not the best batting allrounder of all time as seems to be the impression of him held by some on this forum.

Moreover, the idea of balance is also over-rated and having 5 pure bowlers, one of whom can bat, though a nice idea, is not a sine qua non for a winning or dominant test side.

You only have to look at the WI of the 70s and 80s, and the Aus since then to realise that.

Sobers is more than adequate as a 5th bowler in whatever capacity he is called on.

JBH001

International Regular
Lillian Thomson said:
I think it would be more interesting if the bowling poll wasn't split at all. Just put all 15 bowlers in and let everyone choose 4 options. That way if SS really thinks that the best attack would be McGrath, Marshall, Hadlee and Imran he can choose it. Similarly I can choose Marshall, Lillee, Murali and Warne and everyone can pick whichever attack they think is best. That way no one is forced to select a spinner if they don't want to.
Agreed.

This seems the most sound way of settling the conundrum.

I fail to see why we must have 3 pacers and a spinner presented as an incontravertible and indisputable part of the team make-up. Put it up to a vote, that way non-one's hands are tied.

adharcric

International Coach
JBH001 said:
Agreed.

This seems the most sound way of settling the conundrum.

I fail to see why we must have 3 pacers and a spinner presented as an incontravertible and indisputable part of the team make-up. Put it up to a vote, that way non-one's hands are tied.
That option is very reasonable but very boring. You might as well have everyone pick their XI and decide the final composition from there itself.

JBH001

International Regular
Hmmm, fair point.

Just read the other #5 thread and I suppose, picking 2 opening bowlers and 2 follow up bowlers is the best way to go. _b

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
adharcric said:
That option is very reasonable but very boring. You might as well have everyone pick their XI and decide the final composition from there itself.

That would actually be a good idea at a later date to see if the eventual line-up is similar to the one being selected in the current way.

Before we started my XI would have been:

1. Sunil Gavaskar
2. Len Hutton
3. Viv Richards
4. Sachin Tendulkar
5. Brian Lara
6. Garry Sobers
7. Adam Gilchrist
8. Shane Warne
9. Malcolm Marshall
10.Dennis Lillee
11.Muttiah Muralitharan

I think 9 of those will be in the eventual team with McGrath/Hadlee possibly replacing Lillee and one of the spinners.

adharcric

International Coach
Lillian Thomson said:
Before we started my XI would have been:

1. Sunil Gavaskar
2. Len Hutton
3. Viv Richards
4. Sachin Tendulkar
5. Brian Lara
6. Garry Sobers
7. Adam Gilchrist
8. Shane Warne
9. Malcolm Marshall
10.Dennis Lillee
11.Muttiah Muralitharan
For me ...

1. Sunil Gavaskar
2. Len Hutton
3. Viv Richards
4. Sachin Tendulkar
5. Garry Sobers
6. Imran Khan
7. Adam Gilchrist
8. Richard Hadlee
9. Malcolm Marshall
10. Shane Warne
11. Muttiah Muralitharan

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
  1. Sunil Gavaskar
  2. Len Hutton
  3. Viv Richards
  4. Sachin Tendulkar
  5. Garry Sobers
  6. Imran Khan
  7. Adam Gilchrist
  8. Richard Hadlee
  9. Malcolm Marshall
  10. Curtly Ambrose/Shane Warne
  11. Glenn McGrath

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
JBH001 said:
Incidentally, unless I am mistaken I was the 13th CW poster to vote for Lara.

Heheh :p

Seriously though, a side without Lara? No way - I would rather have dropped SRT from the list and had Lara in, as he is, imo, the marginally better batsman.

Irrelevant. Put Lara in for Sachin, it doesn't matter. But putting both in is a mistake.

adharcric

International Coach
silentstriker said:
  1. Sunil Gavaskar
  2. Len Hutton
  3. Viv Richards
  4. Sachin Tendulkar
  5. Garry Sobers
  6. Imran Khan
  7. Adam Gilchrist
  8. Richard Hadlee
  9. Malcolm Marshall