• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

# 6 for 1946-2006 World Test XI

# 6 for 1946-2005 world Test XI

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Fusion said:
Aussie Tragic - Nothing wrong with your vote. I don't see why it should be a white-wash for Sobers. If people feel so strongly about him not missing out, why wasn't he voted in at #5? So according to CW, Sobers is not better than Lara, but he's so overwhelmingly better than Imran, Miller, Botham, Chappell, and Pointing that it shouldn't even be a debate? I disagree with that logic. In the end, I ended up voting for Sobers myself. However, I almost voted for Imran, because I still think this team would be better served with a pace-bowling all-rounder.

If it was a straight choice between Sobers and Lara then the choice would be Sobers, but the majority of voters (albeit a very very slight majority) think both should be in.:cool:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Lillian Thomson said:
If it was a straight choice between Sobers and Lara then the choice would be Sobers, but the majority of voters (albeit a very very slight majority) think both should be in.:cool:
Because half of them didn't think through the choices with balance in mind.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
aussie tragic said:
No... because I'm drunk right now and still don't know if Miller and Imran should be included (although the more I drink...the more I think they shouldn't)....

SS, as you're sober....you're call...
Include them. Can't hurt and they aren't going to win anyway. And both of them are all time players on bowling alone, so its not like they would be out of place.

Last edited:

Fusion

Global Moderator
aussie tragic said:
No... because I'm drunk right now and still don't know if Miller and Imran should be included (although the more I drink...the more I think they shouldn't)....

SS, as you're sober....you're call...
Dude, include them!!! Or have a vote about including them like you did for the spinners.

aussie tragic

International Captain
Fusion said:
Dude, include them!!! Or have a vote about including them like you did for the spinners.

Nah... that was too hard and now I have you and SS to share the blame if people complain...

....the actual reaon is that I feel disrespect if I do a Fast bowler poll with Imran and Miller when there's a current allrounder poll with the same players as they are too "Great" for that (it says they have no chance) ....only my opinion though....

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
As I mentioned before, if Lara was to be in, he should have been in instead of Tendy. No reason to have both of them in there, as well as Sir Viv, and Sobers. Too much batting in the middle order, at the expense of bowling. Sobers is a given, so basically you have to choose two out of Lara, Tendy, and Viv. Tough choices, but thats the way it goes. You can't sacrifice balance just because you don't want to see a specific player miss out.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
aussie tragic said:
Nah... that was too hard and now I have you and SS to share the blame if people complain...

....the actual reaon is that I feel disrespect if I do a Fast bowler poll with Imran and Miller when there's a current allrounder poll with the same players as they are too "Great" for that (it says they have no chance) ....only my opinion though....
Eh? Both of them would be top 15 on bowling alone. Certainly higher than some of the others that are on the poll.

Last edited:

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Forget Imran and Miller, they're not in the same class as the bowlers in the select teams so there's no need to include them.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Lillian Thomson said:
Forget Imran and Miller, they're not in the same class as the bowlers in the select teams so there's no need to include them.
And I disagree with him. So that means we should put them in and let democracy decide, right?

Fusion

Global Moderator
aussie tragic said:
Final decision: Imran, Miller and Botham didn' t win the opening bowler poll, however neither did Hadlee and Lindwall and yet they are in the poll, so final decision is that all pace bowlers over 140kph will be in the poll (okay < 130 Kph since McGrath and Davidson let the team down)....
Good man.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I think it would be more interesting if the bowling poll wasn't split at all. Just put all 15 bowlers in and let everyone choose 4 options. That way if SS really thinks that the best attack would be McGrath, Marshall, Hadlee and Imran he can choose it. Similarly I can choose Marshall, Lillee, Murali and Warne and everyone can pick whichever attack they think is best. That way no one is forced to select a spinner if they don't want to.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Lillian Thomson said:
I think it would be more interesting if the bowling poll wasn't split at all. Just put all 15 bowlers in and let everyone choose 4 options. That way if SS really thinks that the best attack would be McGrath, Marshall, Hadlee and Imran he can choose it. Similarly I can choose Marshall, Lillee, Murali and Warne and everyone can pick whichever attack they think is best. That way no one is forced to select a spinner if they don't want to.
I agree, I suggested it earlier on.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Lillian Thomson said:
Actually, my 'best' attack would be something like McGrath, Marshall, Ambrose & Warne.

But I'm obviously not going to pick that because Warne is a stinkin' spinner.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
silentstriker said:
Actually, my 'best' attack would be something like McGrath, Marshall, Ambrose & Warne.

But I'm obviously not going to pick that because Warne is a stinkin' spinner.
And also because that attack assumes you have a fourth pace option in an all rounder. So since, CW, in all its infinite wisdom decided on an unbalanced side, I have to make the best of a bad situation and that means potentially not voting in the best pure bowlers.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
silentstriker said:
And also because that attack assumes you have a fourth pace option in an all rounder. So since, CW, in all its infinite wisdom decided on an unbalanced side, I have to make the best of a bad situation and that means potentially not voting in the best pure bowlers.

Sobers does provide a third or fourth pace bowler option.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Lillian Thomson said:
Sobers does provide a third or fourth pace bowler option.
Not against Bradman/Hammond/Hobbs, he doesn't. Which by the way, is the side that they will be going up against.