• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

McGrath tribute thread

PhoenixFire

International Coach
It seems that everyone has forgotten about this bloke. Clearly Warne is calling it quits, and everybody has put all their praise into him, and not a mention for McGrath, it makes me feel sad. Post your tributes and memorys of him here.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
Very original idea, how'de you come up with it... just kidding.

Yeah great bowler... RIP (retire in peace).

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Fantastic thread. I was going to start it, but I didn't have the heart. Awesome bowler. The only bowler, aside from MM, to do it in all conditions, home and away, and in every country.

The better half of McWarne...without McGrath, Warne's figures are merely good whereas McGrath's figures without Warne are still fantastic. Helped out Warne more than people realize by keeping it tight AND taking wickets at the same time from one end.

Almost had tears in my eyes when it was final, and that doesn't happen often.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I think some people were going to wait till after the World Cup to send him off, but anyway:

McGrath used to really get under my skin, partly because he was so good and would destroy India, but mostly because he could be a real dickhead on the field. However he seems like a top bloke off the field, and is the best fast bowler I ever had the privilege of watching alongside Ambrose.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Jono said:
I think some people were going to wait till after the World Cup to send him off, but anyway:

McGrath used to really get under my skin, partly because he was so good and would destroy India, but mostly because he could be a real dickhead on the field. However he seems like a top bloke off the field, and is the best fast bowler I ever had the privilege of watching alongside Ambrose.
Yea, we always countered Warne fine (LOL @ Warne's nightmares about Sachin slogging him around the park). McGrath is the biggest thorn in India's side (and most other countries too).

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
Jono said:
I think you'll find North Americans tend to use guns quite frequently.

:p
Yea exactly, they dont use gun they use gunS.......................

Okay my bad, bad joke.

adharcric

International Coach
We had already decided (in another thread) to hold off on this until he officially retired. No point in this thread IMO.

Fusion

Global Moderator
Well time to dig out this thread as McGrath has officially retired. What an absolute champ! Got to go out on a high, like he deserved. I found this article by McGrath fun to read. He lists his "toughest XI". Very interesting:

Finally, I've been privileged to have competed against some fine players in my career.

Here is my toughest XI to play against:

Mike Atherton (England): I respected him and he was one of themost successful opening batsmen of our era, even though Curtly Ambrose and myself had great records against him because he seemed to struggle with our extra bounce.

Sanath Jayasuriya (Sri Lanka): Others may have had better records but few were more dangerous. It is always a massive compliment to someone to say they changed the game, and his storming innings in the 1996 World Cup changed everyone's thinking about how to start one-day innings. Great natural flair.

Brian Lara (West Indies): I felt he was just in front of Sachin Tendulkar when at his peak. He was just a naturally gifted player with so much ability. Against spin, he was in a league of his own. No spinner ever had it over him and Muttiah Muralitharan always said he was the toughest he bowled to.

Sachin Tendulkar (India): More technically correct than Lara and on his day could really destroy attacks, but probably did not have as much natural flair as Lara. But who does?

Mentally strong enough to carry the hopes of a billion Indian cricket fans whenever he batted.

Aravinda de Silva (Sri Lanka): When he got a start on home soil in Sri Lanka you just felt you were never going to get him out. Was excellent for Sri Lanka in a tough era when they did not have the array of talent or experience that they have today.

Andrew Flintoff (England): Just pips Jacques Kallis, Shaun Pollock and Chris Cairns as an all-rounder because of his heroics against us on the 2005 Ashes tour. To swing the ball both ways at 145kmh throughout lengthy spells was pace bowling at its absolute best.

Kumar Sangakkara (Sri Lanka): Averages in the high 40s with the bat in Test cricket and has also done some great work keeping to Muralitharan. If you have Murali in the team you would go for Kumar as keeper. He is an under-rated player with a great record. He pipped South Africa's Mark Boucher, a solid player for a long time.

Curtly Ambrose (West Indies): With his height, he could really get great bounce and he was one of those special bowlers who always had an extra gear. He barely had a bad day and he enhanced his aura by keeping his distance from opponents, including me.

Wasim Akram (Pakistan): Just a champion for what he could do with the ball. He could swing it at will both ways and the way he powered through the crease made him something to behold. He was on you before you knew it. He wasamazing.

Allan Donald (South Africa): Had great pace and a fine record for South Africa. I always got along well with him and for a long time our records were very similar.

Muttiah Muralitharan (Sri Lanka): Simply because of his incredible statistics, he has to go in here. But there were other spinners who I admired, Saqlain Mushtaq, Anil Kumble and Dan Vettori among them.

FRAZ

International Captain
Well time to dig out this thread as McGrath has officially retired. What an absolute champ! Got to go out on a high, like he deserved. I found this article by McGrath fun to read. He lists his "toughest XI". Very interesting:

Finally, I've been privileged to have competed against some fine players in my career.

Mike Atherton (England): I respected him and he was one of themost successful opening batsmen of our era, even though Curtly Ambrose and myself had great records against him because he seemed to struggle with our extra bounce.

Sanath Jayasuriya (Sri Lanka): Others may have had better records but few were more dangerous. It is always a massive compliment to someone to say they changed the game, and his storming innings in the 1996 World Cup changed everyone's thinking about how to start one-day innings. Great natural flair.

Brian Lara (West Indies): I felt he was just in front of Sachin Tendulkar when at his peak. He was just a naturally gifted player with so much ability. Against spin, he was in a league of his own. No spinner ever had it over him and Muttiah Muralitharan always said he was the toughest he bowled to.

Sachin Tendulkar (India): More technically correct than Lara and on his day could really destroy attacks, but probably did not have as much natural flair as Lara. But who does?

Mentally strong enough to carry the hopes of a billion Indian cricket fans whenever he batted.

Aravinda de Silva (Sri Lanka): When he got a start on home soil in Sri Lanka you just felt you were never going to get him out. Was excellent for Sri Lanka in a tough era when they did not have the array of talent or experience that they have today.

Andrew Flintoff (England): Just pips Jacques Kallis, Shaun Pollock and Chris Cairns as an all-rounder because of his heroics against us on the 2005 Ashes tour. To swing the ball both ways at 145kmh throughout lengthy spells was pace bowling at its absolute best.

Kumar Sangakkara (Sri Lanka): Averages in the high 40s with the bat in Test cricket and has also done some great work keeping to Muralitharan. If you have Murali in the team you would go for Kumar as keeper. He is an under-rated player with a great record. He pipped South Africa's Mark Boucher, a solid player for a long time.

Curtly Ambrose (West Indies): With his height, he could really get great bounce and he was one of those special bowlers who always had an extra gear. He barely had a bad day and he enhanced his aura by keeping his distance from opponents, including me.

Wasim Akram (Pakistan): Just a champion for what he could do with the ball. He could swing it at will both ways and the way he powered through the crease made him something to behold. He was on you before you knew it. He wasamazing.

Allan Donald (South Africa): Had great pace and a fine record for South Africa. I always got along well with him and for a long time our records were very similar.

Muttiah Muralitharan (Sri Lanka): Simply because of his incredible statistics, he has to go in here. But there were other spinners who I admired, Saqlain Mushtaq, Anil Kumble and Dan Vettori among them.
BTW Was your daddy working in the Pakistani Embassy in Colombo (Your list suggests that) . Other famous people from your batch e.g. Adnan Sami's dad used to work in England and Sami loves England ,Musharraf's daddy worked in Turkey as a foreign affairs officers and Musharraf still remembers Turkey.....

Fusion

Global Moderator
BTW Was your daddy working in the Pakistani Embassy in Colombo (Your list suggests that) . Other famous people from your batch e.g. Adnan Sami's dad used to work in England and Sami loves England ,Musharraf's daddy worked in Turkey as a foreign affairs officers and Musharraf still remembers Turkey.....
WTF?!? This is possibly the most bizzare post I've read from you...and that's saying something since the competition for that is huge!

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Fantastic thread. I was going to start it, but I didn't have the heart. Awesome bowler. The only bowler, aside from MM, to do it in all conditions, home and away, and in every country.

The better half of McWarne...without McGrath, Warne's figures are merely good whereas McGrath's figures without Warne are still fantastic. Helped out Warne more than people realize by keeping it tight AND taking wickets at the same time from one end.

Almost had tears in my eyes when it was final, and that doesn't happen often.
I love McGrath, and I don't want to get into an argument in this thread. But did you happen to see the Ashes in 05?

Slifer

International Captain
If u consider both ODIs and Test cricket together Mcgrath imo is the greatest seam bowler of all time. He's been my favorite bowler period, and I for one will greatly miss him, especially those famous duels he had with my favorite batsman, the GREAT Brian Lara.

Francis

State Vice-Captain
Yes because McGrath bowled those leg breaks for Warne and put them on the right spot damn near five times out of six. Lord knows Warne needs McGrath to bowl those great deliveries to get his wickets... without McGrath, how would Warne ever get a wicket? McGrath didn't bowl for Warne my friend. I was interested to hear, when McGrath announced his retirement, that McGrath himself considers Warne the best he's ever played with or against. He thinks Warne is the best cricketer he's ever seen.

Being realistic, the only way any bowler gets help from the other end is when runs are so dried up, batsmen start to feel pressure and start going for shots. There are exceptions to this, such as finding it hard to get used to the bounce of Joel Garner after Malcolm Marshall has bowled etc. In my long experience in seeing the two Australians bowl, teams have most often been content to let the run-rate drop and just try and see both of them off.

Warne's not economical because of McGrath, and Warne's bad deliveries always got put away. But people don't say "oh he should be bowling good because McGrath is on the other end." They acknowledge his bad form, but his good form gets underrated because he had "help". Warne proved in 2005 he can carry a team (in the Ashes) when nobody else was performing, and he got wickets he wouldn't have got in that series thanks to McGrath sucking in the 3rd and 5th Test. Warne's figures without McGrath aren't as good his ones when McGrath plays, but that's got a lot with Warne being an average bowler before the 1992 Sri Lankan test.

Also, McGrath wasn't anything special until around 1995, yet he was in the team while Warne prospered in the team from 1993-1994 - thus helping the stats that show Warne doing well with McGrath. Statistically Warne's best year was 1994, yet McGrath was just an average player then. McDermott was inconsistent as well. Really Warne carried muh of the bowling that year - 61 wickets in 8 Tests or something (I can't be stuffed to check that). It's absolute non-sense. I've seen Warne bowl brilliantly many many times with very little help. His stats are helped in years like 1994 where the fast bowling in Australia was lacking (McGrath still young and green, McDermott carrying injuries etc).

Anyway that's enough of that crap, this whole "McGrath helped him" makes little sense... I mean McGrath was of some help, but no way near the way people say, and I'll say it, I think Warne's figures would be better without McGrath. I'm not saying he would be a better bowler without McGrath, but his stats would be better because he'd have more oppotunity to get wickets. This whole "Warne stats would be much worse without McGrath" is just an unlogical method of thinking that detracts from Warne's legacy. But enough of responding to that,this is a McGrath tribute thread...
------------------------------

McGrath is probably one of the five best fast bowlers ever and that's incredible given the level of fast bowling depth cricket has produced. Ironically he may be best remembered for being man of the tournament for this world cup. Aside from that he hasn't had a lot of stand-out distinguished moments, other than being contistently awesome and winning game after game for Australia.

I also think his reading of batsmen is amazing. You can't just bowl the same line and length and expet it to work, because batsman will shuffle across creases etc and do different things. McGrath contantly changed his line and length to still cramp the frustrated batsman, and that's a remarkable gift.

Yeah probably one of the five best fast bowlers ever, and maybe the best line and length bowler ever considering his other great peers like Richard Hadlee were more varied in their attack. McGrath could be successful despite a lack of speed and a lack of swing. Tremendous.

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
McGrath's lack of speed is often referred to, and it's the case in the last few years that he's not as quick as he was, but he was hardly a slow coach before, say 2000 or 2001. I recall him being clocked around 145-148 kph earlier in his career - it was at the WACA in a game where (I think - this is a long time ago) he nearly ko'ed Peter Kirsten.
Then in 1997(?) when he toured SA, I remember comments being made by 1st class batsmen as to how fast he was bowling. And furthermore, for a bloke who some commentators seem to be referring to as having been a "medium-fast" bowler, he got a lot of blokes out with his bouncer, which would be surprising if he were a medium pacer.
Speed was not his greatest asset, true it is. Just great to watch - people say he bowled the same ball all the time, but the point is he didn't it - he bowled a lot of different balls in the same areas - there's a huge difference. How often would you watch him land the ball in that spot and see a bloke let it go - you just knew the off-cuter was coming and an lbw or bowled wa a chance - and it was this knowledge which meant so many people played shots to him when, on a replay, it looked like they could let the ball go.
I was weaned onto DK Lillee in the 70s, and saw all of the WI greats of the 70s, 80s & 90s as well as Hadlee, Imran and Akram, but I really believe GDM is the greatest fast bowler of all time - has taken wickets everywhere, in all conditions, at an amazing average, for as long as anyone, in a batsman's era with smaller grounds, artillery pieces for bats, flat pitches and fast outfields with ropes in. He's done it at a better average than nearly anyone, with a very good strike rate, gets the top order out, and even better - nominates a bunny (usually the best player on the other side) and often gets them out. An all-time great.

FRAZ

International Captain

Excellent choice ! Just plain amazing !!!