• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

If you could bring in one thing and one thing only?

Craig

World Traveller
For me without doubt is uncovered wickets. It will show you how good the likes of Ponting, Hussey, Lara etc. really are.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Craig said:
For me without doubt is uncovered wickets. It will show you how good the likes of Ponting, Hussey, Lara etc. really are.
I don't really think it would. It'd just create an occasional lottery where one team would be absolutely murdered by the conditions. No doubt it'd be good for entertainment from time to time, but sticky wickets weren't good for cricket.

I'd bring in more variation in covered pitches, though. Be really nice to see more green wickets in particular. Been an improvement in that regard in the last 12-18 months though. Far more of them popping up all over the world.

adharcric

International Coach
Not sure about the helmets tbh. Getting rid of helmets may test batsmen, but it would also endanger them. Anything that involves getting rid of protection (helmet and guard especially) is plain stupid IMO.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Darryl Hair :ph34r:

Or i could settle with "Good Ol Day" players getting over themselves, and recognising the that the great players of today's era (Particularly today's batsmen Eg. Ponting, Dravid, Kallis) are indeed fantastic batsmen. The constant bagging of current day players, about how easy they have it, then going on to compare it to "the good ol days" and how their era was so much tougher, and current day players couldn't cope. Also, how they seem to think that it's simply unfathomable that anyone in today's era could be anywhere near close to them. Eg. Neil Harvey Denis Lillee

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Salamuddin said:
ARe you sure ? Cos...the averages of POnting, hayden and Gulchrist wouldn't look so pretty then :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
attitudes like such are exactly what i'm talking about

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Dravid said:
I don't get this thread.

Sorry I'm slow atm

Some people are interpreting it as bringing back something from the past. Uncovered wickets are a non-starter, the only place that would be interesting is England, in Australia sticky wickets are unplayable.
If we're talking about bringing in something entirely new I would suggest a best of three arm-wrestling contest to replace the toss in order to remove the luck element.:smartass:

ripper868

International Coach
Great idea Lillian, could also be a way to decide drawn matches due to bad weather. andrew symonds is now our test skipper with ponting doing all the onfield work and symonds the arm wrestling contest.

I would bring back 8 ball overs. just so the pacemen have to wrok that little bit harder. Mean i know. and to give warney more chances to work his magic.

also like clapo's rant about the old buggers finally acknowledging that todays players are class.

Dravid

International Captain
Lillian Thomson said:
Some people are interpreting it as bringing back something from the past. Uncovered wickets are a non-starter, the only place that would be interesting is England, in Australia sticky wickets are unplayable.
If we're talking about bringing in something entirely new I would suggest a best of three arm-wrestling contest to replace the toss in order to remove the luck element.:smartass:
O ok. Then Sachin Tendulkar for me