• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket Of 2006

Tomm NCCC

International 12th Man
Another review of the year thread. But with a crickety theme

Best team (Of 2006)
Outstanding Player
Best Bowler
Best Batsman
Best All-round performer
Game of 2006 (Test and ODI)
Best newcomer
Best Oldie
The Ball of 2006
The Shot of 2006
Funniest moment
Biggest suprise
Best Umpire
Worst decision
and Cricket Web Member of the year.

Happy holidays

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Tomm NCCC said:
Another review of the year thread. But with a crickety theme

Best team (Of 2006)
Outstanding Player
Best Bowler
Best Batsman
Best All-round performer
Game of 2006 (Test and ODI)
Best newcomer
Best Oldie
The Ball of 2006
The Shot of 2006
Funniest moment
Biggest suprise
Best Umpire
Worst decision
and Cricket Web Member of the year.

Happy holidays

You can't just throw awards in without putting your own selections you silly goose.

Tomm NCCC

International 12th Man
Ill start us off

Best team (Of 2006) - Sri Lanka have come on strong in recent games, but the way Australia have been ever since the Ashes, they have looked like one of the great teams to grace the international circuit

Outstanding Player - From an all-round perspective, Samit Patel.... I dont have a real other answer for this one

Best Bowler - I believe its 110 wickets in 15 months? thats right, Warney has maintained his awesomeness once more and in 2006, alot of teams and players haven't been able to answer him

Best Batsman - Ponting has been electrifying, Hussey has been incredible, but the stats speak for themselves, and after the Yaer Mohammed Yousef is having, he gets the nod. Coming up for 1800 test runs In a calender year, thats a fantastic achievement. Ok, he has playe don some fairly docile pitches, but then so have the rest of the Pakistani team, and do they all have 1800 runs this year? Nope

Best All-round performer - Dwayne Bravo this year... Dont laugh

Game of 2006 (First Class and OD games) - Shying away from the international cricuit, the game between Middlesex and Nottinghamshire provided a masterclass in how to demolish the weak - Batted middlesex sneseless, then Charles Shreck takes 8fer to dismes the *** for 49.

and as for the one-day game, there's only one answer: March 2006. Australia are Playing South Africa at the wanderers, and have smashed the world record for highest team total in a ODI, 434-5. So SA dont have a chance do they? Wrong. Off the last ball of the innings, Boucher hits a four and SA win by just a single wicket, finishing on 438-9

Best newcomer - Panesar, by a mile. A brilliant find for England, he puts some turn on the ball, takes wickets, and doesnt he know how to celebrate them? :laugh:

Best Oldie - The wise old head of Murali takes this one for me. His string of 5fers and 10WMs have shown us he is in the best form of his life

The Ball of 2006 - Panesar to Younis Khan at Headingley? Probably

Ill finish the rest off in a bit.

Dravid

International Captain
Best team (Of 2006)-Hmmm I wonder who that could be
Outstanding Player- Moyo
Best Bowler- Murli
Best Batsman - Moyo
Best All-round performer - Kaillis
Game of 2006 (Test and ODI) - Tests, Jo Burg, Dec 18 2006, ODIs 434 chase
Best newcomer - Johnson
Best Oldie - Moyo
The Ball of 2006 - The ball to win the Ashes by Warne
The Shot of 2006 - Akthar getting hooked for six by Dhoni
Funniest moment - Sreesanths dance
Biggest suprise - Australia not being able to defend 434
Best Umpire - Simon Toful
Worst decision - India v Australia CT by Billy
and Cricket Web Member of the year. Me

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Best team (Of 2006) - Australia
Outstanding Player - Mohammad Yousuf
Best Bowler - Muttiah Muralitharan
Best Batsman - Mohammad Yousuf
Best Newcomer - Ian Bell (not really a newcomer, but new enough)
The Shot of 2006 - Kevin Pietersen reverse-sweeping Murali for six
Funniest moment - See above
Worst decision - Shoaib Akhtar and Mohammad Asif's decision to take drugs :ph34r:
Cricket Web Member of the Year - Matteh

open365

International Vice-Captain
Tomm NCCC said:
The Ball of 2006 - Panesar to Younis Khan at Headingley? Probably

Ill finish the rest off in a bit.
That ball is so over rated, it was good, but lets be honest, Khan just played down the wrong line, the ball barely turned of straight, there's got to be better deliveries than that in a year.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Outstanding Player - Mohammed Yousuf/Ricky Ponting
Best Batsman - Mohammed Yousuf/Ricky Ponting
Best All-round performer - All of them have been awful
Game of 2006 (Test and ODI) - I hate to say it but the record breaking SA v Aus ODI in Johannasburg was awseome, the Adelaide Test England v Aus.
Best newcomer - Alistair Cook
Best Oldie - Shane Warne
The Ball of 2006 - Malinga Yorker to Vettori
The Shot of 2006 - Pietersen's reverse sweep against Muralitharan
Funniest moment - The NZ v SL match, when the ball hit some guy working in a hot dog stall in the back of the head
Biggest suprise - The Oval debacle
Best Umpire - Darrel Hair
Worst decision -
and Cricket Web Member of the year. - I was only here, since September, couldn't say

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
Best team (Of 2006) - Australia without a doubt, won every test and the Champions Trophy to boot
Outstanding Player - Ponting for overcoming his demons as well as having a stella year with the bat
Best Bowler - Murali, just keeps taking 10fers (notable mention to Ntini)
Best Batsman - Mohammad Yousuf - the record speaks for itself
Best All-round performer - Hussey (gun in both forms of the game)
Game of 2006 (Test and ODI) - Test (Australia d. South Africa) Martyn's hundred, Langer's concussion - ODI (Bangladesh d. Sri Lanka)
Best newcomer - Monty Panesar for sure
Best Oldie - McGrath for his spell at The Gabba and the fact he won't get the award next year
The Ball of 2006 - Warne to Pietersen at Adelaide, won Australia the test that ball
The Shot of 2006 - Pietersen's reverse sweep to Murali
Funniest moment - Harmison retiring :laugh:
Biggest surprise - Gillespie hitting 201*...never would have picked it
Best Umpire - Steve Bucknor...he's surprised me
Worst decision - Hair's five penalty runs against Pakistan and what followed
Cricket Web Member of the year. - Matteh, Fuller running a close second

Merry Christmas CW, I'm out.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Mine's a bit biased, but here it is:

Best team (Of 2006) - Australia an obvious choice, so I'll say Sri Lanka as the second best this year.
Outstanding Player - Muhammad Yousuf
Best Batsman - Muhammad Yousuf
Best All-round performer - Hussey
Game of 2006 (Test and ODI) - Tests: Kandy 2006::ODIs: WI vs Aus, when Taylor took a hat trick
Best newcomer - Monty Panesar
Best Oldie - McGrath
The Ball of 2006 - Asif to VVS in Karachi
The Shot of 2006 - Pietersen's reverse sweep off Murali
Funniest moment - The falling pull shot
Biggest suprise - Akhtar and Asif's steroid scandal
Best Umpire - Daryl Harper from what I've seen
Worst decision - Hair and Inzamam's actions at the Oval
Cricket Web Member of the year - too many to pick from.

Last edited:

jammay123

State 12th Man
team- aus
outstanding player yousef
outstanding bowler warne
outstanding batsman yousef
no real great allround performance
best match-world record aus sa match
emerging player bell/cook/monty cant choose
best oldie murali
best ball monty y khan headingly
best shot kp murali reverse slog sweep 6
biggest suprise how easily we gave away the ashes
best umpire darrel hair..........
funniest moment sreesanth bat waving

Last edited:

pasag

RTDAS
With obvious bias.

Best team (Of 2006): Australia (won every test for the year and the CT, just incase you didn't know.)
Outstanding Player: Mike Hussey, amazing player who has saved the side on numerous occasions with some brilliant knocks.
Best Bowler: Murali, no one else comes close this year
Best Batsman: MoYo - Machine. Ponting would have had it any other year.
Best All-round performer: Gayle I guess, hasn't been a good year for 'all-rounders'.
Game of 2006 (Test and ODI): Tests - Adelaide/ Durban. ODI's - Can't think of any tbh, the record one wasn't that good, just a batting fest. Have been heaps of amazing domestic one-day games though. Maybe Australia's first up loss to WI in the CT.
Best newcomer: Monty, Stuart Clark
Best Oldie: Have a whole heap of Australians to choose from here. Maybe Hayden.
The Ball of 2006: Warne bowling KP around the legs, second innings in Adelaide.
The Shot of 2006: Any of Gilly's 6's in Perth
Funniest moment: Sreesanth owning Nel, Gillespie’s 201*
Biggest surprise: Smith not being able to buy a run, India beating SA in SA, Bangladesh almost pulling off something I don't even want to think about.
Best Umpire: Aleem Dar
Worst decision: Anything made by Duncan Fletcher, umpire wise it's been a pretty good year from what I've seen.
Cricket Web Member/s: Slow Love™ and Fusion, both bringing heaps of class to CW. Absolute guns.
Favorite troll of the year: SW/BLE, as much as we hate him, you have to laugh.
Favorite CW thread of the year: http://forum.cricketweb.net/showthread.php?t=18150

Last edited:

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
best team (of 2006): australia...inarguably
outstanding player: hussey...incredibly dependable in both tests and one dayers so far in his career
best bowler: muralitharan...once again underlining why he is the greatest spinner ever
best batsman: yousuf....has had a career year by far
best all-round performer: not too many good all-rounders in cricket right now and this hasn't been a good year for the decent ones that are there, can't think of too many standout all-round performances in tests, there has been quite a few one-day performances though...
game of 2006 (test and odi): the ashes test at adelaide & india's win at the wanderer's has to tie it for me...
best newcomer: panesar
best oldie: dravid
the ball of 2006: can't really zoom in on one ball, and frankly haven't watched that much cricket
the shot of 2006: can't really zoom in on one shot, and frankly haven't watched that much cricket
funniest moment: santh one-upping nel at his own tactics
biggest surprise: pitches in india with something in it for pace bowlers
best umpire: taufel
worst decision: darrell hair's high-handed decision to penalize pakistan on the flimsiest of evidences
cricket web member/s: slow love, dasa, fusion, jono
favorite troll of the year: none
favorite cw thread of the year: not sure

Last edited:

adharcric

International Coach
Best Team: Australia
Outstanding Cricketer: Mike Hussey
Best Batsman: Mohammad Yousuf & Ricky Ponting
Best Bowler: Muttiah Muralitharan
Best All-Round Performer: Daniel Vettori
Test Match of the Year: Australia's remarkable comeback at Adelaide
One-Day International of the Year: South Africa chases down 434 to defeat Australia
Best Newcomer: Stuart Clark & Mohammad Asif
Best Oldie: Muttiah Muralitharan
Ball of the Year: Asif bowls Laxman
Shot of the Year: Pietersen reverse-sweeps Muralitharan
Funniest Moment: Sreesanth's antics to shut down Nel
Biggest Surprise: Bangladesh nearly defeats Australia in a test match
Best Umpire: Aleem Dar
Worst Decision: Fletcher's Giles > Panesar & Hair's disaster at The Oval
Cricket Web Member of the Year: FaaipdeOiad (for consistent quality) & silentstriker (for not having a life outside of CW)

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Best team (Of 2006): Australia. Champions, clearly. What else can you say? The saffies the only team to deny them victory since the 05 Ashes.
Outstanding Player: Yousuf. Tough on Murali, Hussey & Punter, but 9 tons @ all but 100 tells its own story
Best Bowler: Murali. What else can you say? 90 wickets @ just under 17.
Best Batsman: Yousuf. See outstanding player.
Best All-round performer: Punter. Not a great year for the all-rounders, so Ponting takes it for his flawless batting & vastly improved captaincy.
Game of 2006 (Test and ODI): 2nd Ashes test @ Adelaide. For the greatest turn around of all time.
Best newcomer: Monty. Harsh on Clark, but seems counter intuitive to give it to a 31 year old.
Best Oldie: Yousuf. 32 is old enough, right?
The Ball of 2006: Warne bowling KP behind his pads in 2nd innings @ Adelaide. We knew the jig was up then.
The Shot of 2006: KP's one-footed flamingo straight-drive. How does he do that?
Funniest moment: Inzi failing to hurdle his stumps. Not a natural mover, the big fella.
Biggest suprise: Pakistan failing to reappear after tea. Shocker, however wrong or unjustified they felt Hair's shout to be.
Best Umpire: Taufel. Dar the only other arbiter in his orbit.
Worst decision: Hair's five runs. Grandstanding buffon.
Cricket Web Member of the year: Dav. Most underrated poster on here for mine. The Hoggard of CW (if he'll forgive me comparing him to a Frenchman :p); consisitently turns out the goods.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Outstanding Player - Jacques Kallis
Best Bowler - Shane Warne
Best Batsman - Ricky Ponting
Best All-round performer - Jacques Kallis
Game of 2006 (Test and ODI) - Jo'Burg ODI v Australia
Best newcomer - Monty Panesar
Best Oldie - Shaun Pollock
The Ball of 2006 - Shane Warne
The Shot of 2006 - Sreesanth v Andre Nel - Shame he's a tit
Funniest moment - None
Biggest suprise - Stuart Clark taking wickets v RSA, Losing to India at home
Best Umpire - Simon Taufel
Worst decision - Duncan Fletcher
and Cricket Web Member of the year - Matteh

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Best team (Of 2006): Australia - Clearly the most dominating, and best team in the world by a fair margin. After the Ashes lost, the team has simply been out of this world, and has taken itself to a whole new level.
Outstanding Player: Hussey - He's made a difference to the current Australian line-up like you wouldn't beleive. His performances in both OD & Test Cricket have been phenominal. Whats even more special about it all, is that it's just his 1st full year of test cricket. Yousuf, Murali & Punter came within a hairs breadth
Best Bowler: Murali - 90 Wickets says it all, no other bowler was close imo
Best Batsman: Ponting - His 196 at the Gabba was simply amazing. The determination he has shown to make all-comers pay since the ashes loss has been a sight to see as shown by the punishment he has handed out to bowling attacks all around the world. Punters century at the G tomorrow will top off a perfect year for the man who is quite possibly Australia's best since Bradman
Best All-round performer: Punter - See Above, then add to the fact that His captaincy has improved vastly, and his fielding is still amazing
Game of 2006 (Test and ODI): A Tie between the 2nd & 3rd Ashes test - The 2nd Test because it was 1 of the great turnarounds in history. The 3rd test because of the clinical way we won back the ashes
Best newcomer: Alastair Cook - A definite start of the future. Clark & Monty can consider themselves unlucky
Best Oldie: Murali - See Best bowler
The Ball of 2006: Warne bowls Strauss 4th Ashes test at the MCG - Aside from the fact that it was a fair ball, it was Warnes 700th
The Shot of 2006: KP Reverse Sweeps Murali for 6 - KP's a star
Funniest moment: Inzy's attempt to Hurdle the Stumps - I loled :laugh:
Biggest suprise: Eng v Pak 4th Test @ The Oval The Whole incident rocked the cricket world
Best Umpire: Simon Taufel - Best by a fair margin
Worst decision: The PCB, Shoaib & Asif -1st the players using ignorance as an excuse, and then the PCB overturning their bans
Cricket Web Member of the year: Pasag - One of the best posters on the sight and afaic one of the least bias as well

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Best team (Of 2006): Australia, clearly. On their way to 10 wins in 10 tests, and the SA ODI series is the only blemish in the other form.
Outstanding Player: Probably Hussey. Stunning in both forms of the game.
Best Bowler: Murali, clearly.
Best Batsman: Ponting or Yousuf. They're almost impossible to split IMO. Yousuf has the edge statistically, while Ponting has probably played in tougher conditions.
Best All-round performer: There's a number of candidates in ODIs. Watson had a stunning year, Bravo's continued to develop, and Flintoff's done a little bit in test cricket. Vettori has been good too. No standout performer though.
Game of 2006 (Test and ODI): Adelaide Ashes test, clearly. In ODIs, it's a bit harder to say. Maybe the CT match where the West Indies beat Australia.
Best newcomer: Has to be Stuart Clark. Widely considered a dubious selection and a poor man's McGrath at best, he's currently averaging 18 in test cricket, and has been clearly the best bowler in two tricky, high pressure series. Monty's been good too, and so has Hussey, but he started last year.
Best Oldie: Murali, you'd have to say.
The Ball of 2006: Today at the MCG - Strauss b. Warne. Number 700, and it was class.
The Shot of 2006: KP's reverse sweep stands out.
Funniest moment: Gillespie's 201, comfortably.
Biggest suprise: Gillespie's 201 again. I think it's hands down the most unlikely innings in test history. A guy with a top score of around 60 and a first class average in the low teens after a long career hits a double century in a test match.
Best Umpire: I'm going Bucknor. His turnaround has been really great. After years of increasingly mediocre umpiring, he's been great recently. Taufel also deserves mention, of course.
Worst decision: Don't know really.
Cricket Web Member of the year: Hard to pick one person. There's half a dozen or so posters that I think have been really good lately. The triumphant return of Slow Love deserves mention, though.

ripper868

International Coach
Best team (Of 2006): Australia
Outstanding Player : Mohammed Yousuf
Best Bowler: Warney
Best Batsman: Ponting
Best All-round performer: Hussey
Game of 2006 (Test and ODI): Adelaide Test of Ashes, Bangladesh V Sri Lanka
Best newcomer: Stuart Clark
Best Oldie: Brian Lara
The Ball of 2006: Warne getting KP round his legs
The Shot of 2006: Kp's Reverse Sweep
Funniest moment: Any time england play
Biggest suprise: That warne is retireing...yes i know there was talk but he could have kept on IMO

Best Umpire: Taufel
Worst decision: Flintoff to bat today ( first day of melbourne test for those reading this later)
and Cricket Web Member of the year: Silentstriker....i only been here since november so i dont really count.