• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who would other countries choose, Scott Styris or Lou Vincent?

Matt52

U19 Vice-Captain
What do other countries think of Scott styris?, I just think he is an overrated honest grafter that has been consistently chosen in his preferred spot of the middle order. But many in NZ rate him as one of NZ's best players.

Would you prefer him over Lou Vincent? a middle order player consistently asked to open by NZ. Seemingly more talented than Styris but talent wasted by not having him in his preferred middle order because that place is taken by Styris. Asked to do an unfamiliar job.

If folks from other countries were to choose, who would you pick ???/(for a middle order spot for NZ)

Just interested. Probably wont get many replies but just interested how other countries see the two.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Strictly speaking I'm not supposed to be answering this but in my books it's no contest. Styris is far more valuable in both our ODI and Test side than Vincent.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Styris pretty easily for me. May not be as 'talented' as Vincent, but has performed far better over a longer time, and offers a lot more to any team. If you look at the first third of his career, he was pretty poor, but since then, he's been quite good.

Vincent has never really lived up to the hype and seems to be very inconsistent.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Useful replies so far.

I hope the selectors don't read this thread and decide that trying to get an Englishman or using 10 rather than 11 is a good idea. They seem to have thoughts as bizarre as those quite regularly.

Perm

After looking over Vincent's test record it's pretty good but one thing that really stands out is his inconsistency, couple that with the fact he isn't scoring runs for Auckland and his ODI performances are pretty woeful I think it's definately Styris for ODI's. For Test's I would have both of them.

Perm

I think they would be around the fringes of Pura Cup cricket to be perfectly honest, I know Styris was born in Australia so if he stayed there I would wonder how many FC games he would have to his name.

Craig

World Traveller
Proteas>Aussies said:
Pure luck, even Carlisle scored a century V Australia.
Well TBF Vincent did get it on his debut, so that has to count for something more then pure luck.

_Ed_

Craig said:
Well TBF Vincent did get it on his debut, so that has to count for something more then pure luck.
At Perth, against a fairly high quality Australian pace attack. (one that together now has in excess of 1200 Test wickets)

Perm

Vincent certainly isn't pure trash but he is massively overrated I feel. If he started scoring some runs for Auckland then he might actually be given a chance in the middle order, based on his performances in domestic cricket. He hasn't earnt the chance so he didn't play against Sri Lanka.

_Ed_

That's fair enough, he probably is overrated. But he is not trash, and there are very few players I'd rather watch than Vincent when he's seeing the ball well.

mikeW

International Vice-Captain
_Ed_ said:
That's fair enough, he probably is overrated. But he is not trash, and there are very few players I'd rather watch than Vincent when he's seeing the ball well.
Is this NZ cricket or World?

_Ed_

NZ I guess, but he'd be in my top 10 favourite players to watch in the world when he's striking the ball well. He and McCullum would be the 2 NZers in my top 10.

Perm

Fleming and McCullum for me, with Flem being a clear #1. That innings he played against Muralitharan and Warne after the tsunami had struck last year was some of the cleanest hitting I have ever seen.