• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

"I want 900 Test wickets" says Murali

pasag

RTDAS
Since Warne is out of the picture, I hope he goes for the thousand tbh. Not like anyone else is going to come close in the next 20 years, if ever.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Meh, another 100 against Bangladesh and he won't be very far away.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Perm said:
Meh, another 100 against Bangladesh and he won't be very far away.
TBH it will be harder for him to take wickets then against NZ, they are better players of spin.

I think if he retires from ODIs after the World Cup, he should look to get 1,000 wickets. If we keep playing NZ every year, he should get there easy. 900 just seems a bit half way to me.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Atm he has Warne as a nice target to keep him motivated, once Warne retires and he passes his wicket tally it will be interesting to see if he has the will to keep playing and taking wickets when he knows no one left playing will get close to his record.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Whilst I do think its clear Murali is record motivated, another factor will be whether SL continue to improve at the rate they are currently doing so. Winning test matches would be a huge motivation for the man to keep going, and even when he has the world record, I reckon he may keep going for a few more years if Jayawardene can lead SL to one of the best sides around. A fair way off, but they're a growing side at the moment.

Francis

State Vice-Captain
TBH it will be harder for him to take wickets then against NZ, they are better players of spin.
I actually agree with this. I mean I dislike the fact that Bangladesh and Zimbabwe are considered Test nations, and getting wickets against them count on stats. But Bangladesh really are better players of spin than the New Zealand team. I thought NZ would lose their last series 2-0 after seeing them play Murali at the Champions Trophy. But yeah, absolutely clueless team at times.

I sometimes wander if New Zealand will one day end up like Bangladesh or Zimbabwe, since the recent signs aren't too positive. Perhaps New Zealandrs should stick to rugby.

Last edited:

Francis

State Vice-Captain
Wasim Akram... I think with over 500 wickets. If I recall his 500th record was memorable since it was against Holland.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Wasim Akram has 502
Muttiah Muralitharan has 425
Waqar Younis has 416
Shaun Pollock has 364
Chaminda Vaas has 363
Glenn McGrath has 342
Anil Kumble has 331
Javagal Srinath has 315

Those are the only bowlers to have more than 300 ODI wickets, Glenn McGrath has the best average (22.38) while WaqarYounis has the best strike rate (30.52)

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Francis said:
I sometimes wander if New Zealand will one day end up like Bangladesh or Zimbabwe, since the recent signs aren't too positive. Perhaps New Zealandrs should stick to rugby.
Indeed. Being ranked a lowly 3 in the world in ODIs, the signs clearly suggest that we'll be easybeats in the future.

Craig

World Traveller
Perm said:
Wasim Akram has 502
Muttiah Muralitharan has 425
Waqar Younis has 416
Shaun Pollock has 364
Chaminda Vaas has 363
Glenn McGrath has 342
Anil Kumble has 331
Javagal Srinath has 315

Those are the only bowlers to have more than 300 ODI wickets, Glenn McGrath has the best average (22.38) while WaqarYounis has the best strike rate (30.52)
Out of interest who would people say are the best bowlers on that list? For me it is Wasim and Waqar. When Waqar Younis was on song in the prime of his career who was unplayable bar none IMO and his mate wasn't too bad either.

Francis

State Vice-Captain
Indeed. Being ranked a lowly 3 in the world in ODIs, the signs clearly suggest that we'll be easybeats in the future.
I was referring more to test matches, where NZ lack depth and an ability to play five great days of cricket. Don't get me wrong, they're still ahead of Bangladesh and Zimbabwe, but they're an extremely weak test side.

ODI's they are much better... but despite their ranking, I don't think they're third best in the world. West Indies for me are better, as are Sri Lanka and probably Pakistan. If NZ were to play a 5-match series against these teams I'd pick them to lose. I am aware they had a few wins at the Champions Trophy against those teams.

Craig

World Traveller
Well I'm certain that has happened and yet New Zealand has come out on top. I'm sure that happened earlier in the year against the West Indies, and Sri Lanka on their recent tours and I'm certain they disposed of Pakistan the last time they were.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I disagree, he's bowling as well as he ever has IMO. I'm glad we don't play SL in a Test again until probably after he retires, that's a major relief.

I'll enjoy watching him take these wickets against other teams. :D