• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Warne Fails To Honour Promise

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
I did not want this to remain unfinished - as Warne has said he will make good his promise. Here's the news item-

Charity fundraiser last year made nothing

Warne pledges money to Galle reconstruction

Cricinfo staff

December 28, 2006

Shane Warne has committed his charitable foundation to donate Aus$20,000 to tsunami reconstruction efforts in Sri Lanka.

The move, announced at a breakfast event in Melbourne, followed reports last week that the foundation had failed to deliver a promised Aus$50,000 for repair of the devastated cricket ground in the Sri Lankan town of Galle. The ground in the town is where Warne took his 500th Test wicket in March 2004.

The Sydney Morning Herald said Warne told the celebrity breakfast - attended by Australia's richest man James Packer and Warne's fellow retiring cricketer Glenn McGrath - that a promotion at last year's Boxing Day Test for the sale of wristbands had failed to attract much support. Only 5,000 of the three-dollar wristbands had been sold, he reportedly said.

That information was conveyed to Galle International Cricket Club this year but more than five months after the foundation had promised in an email that the fund-raiser would net Aus$50,000 for the reconstruction of the ground, the newspaper said. The foundation's then chief executive Brad Grapsas told the director of the Galle club, Jayananda Warnaweera, that the cost of the promotion was greater than the amount collected and there would be no money forthcoming.

Warne told this week's breakfast he had been greatly moved by a visit he made to Galle a month after the 2004 tsunami devastated the coastal town and swamped its picturesque cricket ground. He handed out food, cricket kit and toys to children orphaned in the tsunami, which killed an estimated 31,000 people in Sri Lanka.

Sri Lanka Cricket told AFP this week that work had got underway at the ground and there were plans to hold a Test match during the England tour planned for late October-November 2007. "I can say we're giving the Sri Lankan Cricket Club Aus$20,000 today, which goes towards helping build some cricket grounds," Warne told the function, according to the Herald.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
20k is better than nothing but with Warne's individual wealth, earning capacity (surely 50k could be raised from 1 speaking engagement/fund raiser) and influential friends, this sounds a bit on the tight side to me

Krishna_j

U19 12th Man
Warney is able to brag about giving 500K to handicapped Aussie kids and is struggling to fork out 20 K for Galle stadium :-O

c'mon Warney cut the hypocrisy - take a leaf from Steve Waugh's committment - he is far more noble and publicity averse

Last edited:

Lostman

State Captain
its a stadium, calm down its only a game that is played there. I saw Warne when he was in SL after the Tsunami and i know he was helping out people in need.

Matt79

Global Moderator
JASON said:
I did not want this to remain unfinished - as Warne has said he will make good his promise. Here's the news item-

Charity fundraiser last year made nothing

Warne pledges money to Galle reconstruction

Cricinfo staff

December 28, 2006

Shane Warne has committed his charitable foundation to donate Aus$20,000 to tsunami reconstruction efforts in Sri Lanka.

The move, announced at a breakfast event in Melbourne, followed reports last week that the foundation had failed to deliver a promised Aus$50,000 for repair of the devastated cricket ground in the Sri Lankan town of Galle. The ground in the town is where Warne took his 500th Test wicket in March 2004.

The Sydney Morning Herald said Warne told the celebrity breakfast - attended by Australia's richest man James Packer and Warne's fellow retiring cricketer Glenn McGrath - that a promotion at last year's Boxing Day Test for the sale of wristbands had failed to attract much support. Only 5,000 of the three-dollar wristbands had been sold, he reportedly said.

That information was conveyed to Galle International Cricket Club this year but more than five months after the foundation had promised in an email that the fund-raiser would net Aus$50,000 for the reconstruction of the ground, the newspaper said. The foundation's then chief executive Brad Grapsas told the director of the Galle club, Jayananda Warnaweera, that the cost of the promotion was greater than the amount collected and there would be no money forthcoming.

Warne told this week's breakfast he had been greatly moved by a visit he made to Galle a month after the 2004 tsunami devastated the coastal town and swamped its picturesque cricket ground. He handed out food, cricket kit and toys to children orphaned in the tsunami, which killed an estimated 31,000 people in Sri Lanka.

Sri Lanka Cricket told AFP this week that work had got underway at the ground and there were plans to hold a Test match during the England tour planned for late October-November 2007. "I can say we're giving the Sri Lankan Cricket Club Aus$20,000 today, which goes towards helping build some cricket grounds," Warne told the function, according to the Herald.
so, to summarise a long story, he never in fact promised to donate a million dollars at all? What a beat up!

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Krishna_j said:
Warney is able to brag about giving 500K to handicapped Aussie kids and is struggling to fork out 20 K for Galle stadium :-O

c'mon Warney cut the hypocrisy - take a leaf from Steve Waugh's committment - he is far more noble and publicity averse
I would have thought that Handicapped children were more important than a stadium

Krishna_j

U19 12th Man
You make a stupid committment in public and hog the publicity - then u better honour it with your personal money if need be

Legga

Banned
I thought this was a load.
I would not trust Shane with my wife,my beer or my meat pie.
I do trust him when it comes to his charitable commitments.

Warne should be commended not abused.
Beggers can't be choosers.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
How is it Warnes fault if the Australian public are tight fisted and didnt buy any of the wristbands to help raise funds for the stadium? :-O

You'd rather he take money earmarked for other good causes that are probably more needy just to build a stadium?

Matt79

Global Moderator
But it makes no sense, and would be unethical if not illegal, to take that had been raised for the express purpose of helping one set of disadvantaged people (disabled children) and give it to someone else.

He made an effort, and it wasn't a half-hearted effort either, to raise money for the Galle thing, and when that didn't work, he's eventually got around to kicking in some of his own money to try and make things right.

It's a bit mean-spirited to criticise him for it.