Cricket Player Manager
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Warne Fails To Honour Promise

dumb promise to make....

Quote Originally Posted by howardj
    The whole thing is stupid. I mean, that part of the world gets flattened by the tsunami, and the charity's priority is the rebuilding of the cricket stadium? A silly idea, and just lame of the media to bring it up at this time.
    IMO you're just getting a little defensive because Warnie is involved.
    Nothing silly about the charity, but I'd like to hear from Warne before bothering with this news.

its warnes money, his choice. if this is true he has made his decision lets move on

Quote Originally Posted by Stumped
    its warnes money, his choice. if this is true he has made his decision lets move on
    Lame comment IMO. Prety obvious you're only saying this because it's Warne and not somebody else involved.

Really I don't care if he donates money to them or not, but he shouldn't make false promises. Just don't like to see random statements like that from Warne fans though ...

As I said earlier, I'd really like to see exactly what he said - if there was a "I'd hope to..." or "I'll try to...", or even a "I'm thinking about it..." then it wasn't a promise, it was a expression of possible intent. If he said, "I will be donating one million dollars of my own money to the effort to rebuild the stadium" it will have been a pretty low act not to go through with it. But I seriously doubt he'd do the later.
    Quote Originally Posted by Irfan
    We may not like you, your filthy rich coffers or your ratbag scum of supporters but by god do we respect you as a football team
    GOOD OLD COLLINGWOOD - PREMIERS IN 2010

Is Cam White, Is Good.

I did not want this to remain unfinished - as Warne has said he will make good his promise. Here's the news item-

Charity fundraiser last year made nothing

Warne pledges money to Galle reconstruction

Cricinfo staff

December 28, 2006

Shane Warne has committed his charitable foundation to donate Aus$20,000 to tsunami reconstruction efforts in Sri Lanka.

The move, announced at a breakfast event in Melbourne, followed reports last week that the foundation had failed to deliver a promised Aus$50,000 for repair of the devastated cricket ground in the Sri Lankan town of Galle. The ground in the town is where Warne took his 500th Test wicket in March 2004.

The Sydney Morning Herald said Warne told the celebrity breakfast - attended by Australia's richest man James Packer and Warne's fellow retiring cricketer Glenn McGrath - that a promotion at last year's Boxing Day Test for the sale of wristbands had failed to attract much support. Only 5,000 of the three-dollar wristbands had been sold, he reportedly said.

That information was conveyed to Galle International Cricket Club this year but more than five months after the foundation had promised in an email that the fund-raiser would net Aus$50,000 for the reconstruction of the ground, the newspaper said. The foundation's then chief executive Brad Grapsas told the director of the Galle club, Jayananda Warnaweera, that the cost of the promotion was greater than the amount collected and there would be no money forthcoming.

Warne told this week's breakfast he had been greatly moved by a visit he made to Galle a month after the 2004 tsunami devastated the coastal town and swamped its picturesque cricket ground. He handed out food, cricket kit and toys to children orphaned in the tsunami, which killed an estimated 31,000 people in Sri Lanka.

Sri Lanka Cricket told AFP this week that work had got underway at the ground and there were plans to hold a Test match during the England tour planned for late October-November 2007. "I can say we're giving the Sri Lankan Cricket Club Aus$20,000 today, which goes towards helping build some cricket grounds," Warne told the function, according to the Herald.

20k is better than nothing but with Warne's individual wealth, earning capacity (surely 50k could be raised from 1 speaking engagement/fund raiser) and influential friends, this sounds a bit on the tight side to me

U19 12th Man
    Warney is able to brag about giving 500K to handicapped Aussie kids and is struggling to fork out 20 K for Galle stadium

c'mon Warney cut the hypocrisy - take a leaf from Steve Waugh's committment - he is far more noble and publicity averse
    Last edited by Krishna_j; 29-12-2006 at 10:05 PM.

its a stadium, calm down its only a game that is played there. I saw Warne when he was in SL after the Tsunami and i know he was helping out people in need.
    For as long as there is limited overs cricket - of ten, twenty or fifty overs - there will remain the Sri Lankan spinners' mid-innings choke

Quote Originally Posted by JASON
    I did not want this to remain unfinished - as Warne has said he will make good his promise. Here's the news item-

Charity fundraiser last year made nothing

Warne pledges money to Galle reconstruction

Cricinfo staff

December 28, 2006

Shane Warne has committed his charitable foundation to donate Aus$20,000 to tsunami reconstruction efforts in Sri Lanka.

The move, announced at a breakfast event in Melbourne, followed reports last week that the foundation had failed to deliver a promised Aus$50,000 for repair of the devastated cricket ground in the Sri Lankan town of Galle. The ground in the town is where Warne took his 500th Test wicket in March 2004.

The Sydney Morning Herald said Warne told the celebrity breakfast - attended by Australia's richest man James Packer and Warne's fellow retiring cricketer Glenn McGrath - that a promotion at last year's Boxing Day Test for the sale of wristbands had failed to attract much support. Only 5,000 of the three-dollar wristbands had been sold, he reportedly said.

That information was conveyed to Galle International Cricket Club this year but more than five months after the foundation had promised in an email that the fund-raiser would net Aus$50,000 for the reconstruction of the ground, the newspaper said. The foundation's then chief executive Brad Grapsas told the director of the Galle club, Jayananda Warnaweera, that the cost of the promotion was greater than the amount collected and there would be no money forthcoming.

Warne told this week's breakfast he had been greatly moved by a visit he made to Galle a month after the 2004 tsunami devastated the coastal town and swamped its picturesque cricket ground. He handed out food, cricket kit and toys to children orphaned in the tsunami, which killed an estimated 31,000 people in Sri Lanka.

Sri Lanka Cricket told AFP this week that work had got underway at the ground and there were plans to hold a Test match during the England tour planned for late October-November 2007. "I can say we're giving the Sri Lankan Cricket Club Aus$20,000 today, which goes towards helping build some cricket grounds," Warne told the function, according to the Herald.
    so, to summarise a long story, he never in fact promised to donate a million dollars at all? What a beat up!

Stranger leering through a pair of binoculars
    Quote Originally Posted by Krishna_j
    Warney is able to brag about giving 500K to handicapped Aussie kids and is struggling to fork out 20 K for Galle stadium

c'mon Warney cut the hypocrisy - take a leaf from Steve Waugh's committment - he is far more noble and publicity averse
    I would have thought that Handicapped children were more important than a stadium
    Mark Waugh
    "He's [Michael Clarke] on Twitter saying sorry for not walking? Mate if he did that in our side there'd be hell to play. AB would chuck his Twitter box off the balcony or whatever it is. Sorry for not walking? Jesus Christ man."
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it into a fruit salad
    RIP Craigos

U19 12th Man
    You make a stupid committment in public and hog the publicity - then u better honour it with your personal money if need be

International Regular chris.hinton's Avatar
    If Warne has given a donation then he is truly a man of his word

I thought this was a load.
    I would not trust Shane with my wife,my beer or my meat pie.
    I do trust him when it comes to his charitable commitments.

Warne should be commended not abused.
    Beggers can't be choosers.

International Debutant SpaceMonkey's Avatar
    How is it Warnes fault if the Australian public are tight fisted and didnt buy any of the wristbands to help raise funds for the stadium?

You'd rather he take money earmarked for other good causes that are probably more needy just to build a stadium?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information