• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Jason Gillespie

Salamuddin

International Debutant
A good mate of mine reckons the Aussie selectors will re-select Jason Gillespie in the wake of the McWarne retirements because Australia lacks expreience in their attack and Gillespie would provide them that.

Personally I think it would be a regressive move....I saw a little bit of Gillespie this season and he looks a shadow of the fine bolwer he once was.....

What do you guys think ? I know Gillespie has quite a few backers on this forum.......

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Really his not bowling any better then House, Tait or Johnson so i can't see why they would bother. Clark and Lee got a fair bit of experience and if they want another experienced bowler they will go for MacGill, as no young spinner is putting up their hand, compared to the three above mentioned seamers.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I wouldn't pick him, not with Shaun Tait, Mitchell Johnson and Ben Hilfenhaus all exciting up and comers. I know he (Gillespie) has been bowling reasonably well recently but nothing that really demands selection, Brett Lee and Stuart Clark are both over 30 with quite a bit of experience behind them and should be able to handle the situation pretty well even if they have two young tearaways like Johnson and Tait in the side. If they really want experience they like go for MacGill.

Stumped

Banned
Salamuddin said:
A good mate of mine reckons the Aussie selectors will re-select Jason Gillespie in the wake of the McWarne retirements because Australia lacks expreience in their attack and Gillespie would provide them that.

Personally I think it would be a regressive move....I saw a little bit of Gillespie this season and he looks a shadow of the fine bolwer he once was.....

What do you guys think ? I know Gillespie has quite a few backers on this forum.......
its a tough one, it makes sense but im not sure whether i agree with it....selecting would be so hard especially in the retirement of McWarne.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
He's actually having a pretty good run in the Pura Cup. Took a fair bag the other day. If he has a good season and then bowls well for Yorkshire I guess he's got an outside chance, but with a number of good younger options I'd be surprised. Clark's been so good so far that there will be plenty of confidence there, and they won't be looking for a safe pick.

Johnson clearly has his name ahead of the pack for McGrath's spot. He's bowled well in ODIs and has been in each of the test squads, and he'll play plenty in the World Cup. I expect Clark/Lee/Johnson will be the pace attack in the next test series Australia play, fitness permitting, with Watson and MacGill in the team as well. Hilfenhaus and Tait also a chance for Johnson's spot. If Watson's bowling continues to improve it's a pretty impressive and varied attack. Certainly better than the post McGrath/Warne options looked a couple of years ago.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
He's actually having a pretty good run in the Pura Cup. Took a fair bag the other day. If he has a good season and then bowls well for Yorkshire I guess he's got an outside chance, but with a number of good younger options I'd be surprised. Clark's been so good so far that there will be plenty of confidence there, and they won't be looking for a safe pick.

Johnson clearly has his name ahead of the pack for McGrath's spot. He's bowled well in ODIs and has been in each of the test squads, and he'll play plenty in the World Cup. I expect Clark/Lee/Johnson will be the pace attack in the next test series Australia play, fitness permitting, with Watson and MacGill in the team as well. Hilfenhaus and Tait also a chance for Johnson's spot. If Watson's bowling continues to improve it's a pretty impressive and varied attack. Certainly better than the post McGrath/Warne options looked a couple of years ago.
agree with that. with Clark bowling so well and having plenty of domestic experience they wont need another experienced player. Bracken would be the other player to mention who would be a good chance at a spot i think.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'd be tempted to eat my Keyboard if they selectors went back to Dizzy. As good a servent as he was, picking him over Johnson, Hilfenhaus, & even Bracken would be a step back into the past, not a step foward imo.

Sure he's had a decent season so far, but he's got a lot less to offer than Johnson et. al who can only improve, whereas Dizzy is more than likely past his peak. Add to that, the fact that Lee & Macgill offer plenty of experience (assuming of course that Macgill is selected to replace warne), and Clark, like Mike Hussey, has an experience head thanks to plenty of FC cricket, despite only having played a handful of tests.