• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

# 5 for 1946-2006 World Test XI

# 5 for 1946-2006 World Test XI

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

aussie tragic

International Captain
The # 5 for the 1946-2006 World Test XI is now up for selection from the following:

Greg Chappell (Aus): 87 tests, 7110 runs @ 53.86, HS 247*, (24/31), 122 catches --- 47 wkts @ 40.70
Brian Lara (WI): 131 tests, 11,953 runs @ 52.88, HS 400*, (34/48), 164 catches
Ricky Ponting (Aus): 108 tests, 9316 runs @ 59.71, HS 257, (33/36), 121 catches
Gary Sobers (WI): 93 tests, 8032 runs @ 57.78, HS 365*, (26/30), 109 catches --- 235 wkts @ 34.03
Everton Weekes (WI): 48 tests, 4455 runs @ 58.61, HS 207, (15/19), 49 catches
Frank Worrell (WI): 51 tests, 3860 runs @ 49.48, HS 261, (9/22), 43 catches --- 69 wkts @ 38.72

** 3 Runner-ups will go into # 6 Poll with the Allrounders**

The 1946-2006 World Test XI so far:

1. Sunil Gavaskar (51.12)
2. Len Hutton (54.62)
3. Viv Richards (50.23)
4. Sachin Tendulkar (55.11)
7. Adam Gilchrist (48.98)

NOTE: The Spinner position has not been decided due to a draw between Murali and Warne

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Sobers!

Imran Khan at six. We have two spinners already, so we need Imran Khan or Keith Miller as the bowling all rounders, or we'll be lacking in pace department.

You cannot leave out Sobers, so vote for him here IMO.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
PhoenixFire said:
If we have Sobers as an all-rounder, then why do we need to have Miller/Khan?
Because while Sobers adds utility with his bowling, he isn't going to be a full time bowler..he'd get belted in an all time side. Basically he'd be the 5th pace bowler, or the 5th spin bowler as needed.

Whereas, Miller and Imran can more than hold their own with bowling.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
PhoenixFire said:
Wouldn't Warne and Murali make up for that.
Well thats up to the voters. I'm just pointing that eventuality out. I personally don't think it would make up, but if others disagree...well thats that then.

Choc

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Definately Lara for me he's just brilliant. I think the day he retire I might have to shed a tear or two :laugh:

PhoenixFire

International Coach
I get what you're saying, but wouldn't an attack of McGrath, Trueman, Muralitharan and Warne be good enough. I'm just assuming that those are going to the the two opening bowlers, obviously it could be anyone.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
PhoenixFire said:
I get what you're saying, but wouldn't an attack of McGrath, Trueman, Muralitharan and Warne be good enough. I'm just assuming that those are going to the the two opening bowlers, obviously it could be anyone.
Against normal sides, I would say for sure. Against all time sides (which this one would face), I am not sure of that at all. IMO, you need three pace bowlers. Ideally, I'd have only one spinner but if we want to be adamant and keep both Murali & Warne in, it has to be at the expense of a batsman, not a bowler.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
PhoenixFire said:
What would the batting line-up for the pre war XI look like?
Well, at the very least it would have Hobbs, Hammond, and Bradman. You feel safe going in with only two full time pace bowlers against that?