• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Warne's long term replacement

Who will be Australia's next test spinner long term

• Aaron Heal

Votes: 6 11.3%
  • Xavier Doherty

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nathan Hauritz

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Daniel Cullen

Votes: 8 15.1%
  • Cullen Bailey

• Beau Casson

Votes: 3 5.7%
  • Cameron White

Votes: 10 18.9%
  • Chris Simpson

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

• Nobody good enough will come up and Australia will stop playing a spinner in every test

Votes: 12 22.6%

• Total voters

iamdavid

International Debutant
Who do you think will replace Warne in the Aussie side long term.

I think it's a given that baring injury or significant loss of form Stuart MacGill will get a summer, two at the most, to do his thing unchallenged, the gulf between him and the young guys is still too great.

But long term after Warne and MacGill have passed from the game Australia will need to find a spinner capable of performing as part of a four man attack unless they were to change the strategy which has brought them so much success over the past decade.

My vote goes to Casson, his control is pitiful but of the young contenders he's the only one i think is capable of regularly producing deliveries good enough to dismiss batsman at test level. He spins the ball prodigiously and has some nice variations, hopefully within a couple of summers he'll be able to control things adequately to play at that level.

adharcric

International Coach
Pretty hard to tell who will step up in the long run at this stage. Just be glad you have MacGill waiting in the wings so you don't have to throw Cullen to the wolves.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
No one's really standing out at the moment. I just went Beau Casson because, even though he's fairly dire, I know his brother, so it'd be cool :cool:

Johnners

Cullen Bailey for mine. Whilst his wickets are coming at a fairly heavy price atm, he is a genuine wicket-taker, and from what i've seen has produced some stunning deliveries for SA. If he can really up the ante and land these sort of deliveries on a regular basis, he'll be a handful in the years to come. He may not be another Warne, but imo he's definetly a player of the future.

Dan Cullen has sadly let me down. I was a big fan of his when he burst onto the scene in 04/05 with 42 FC wickets, and i genuinely thought he was gonna produce the goods. Unfotunately though, he's produced Jack-All performances of note, and his international hopes are still riding on what he did that season, however, i get the feeling his stocks are starting to fall, especially with Heal & Bailey bowling well this season.

archie mac

International Coach
Clapo said:
Cullen Bailey for mine. Whilst his wickets are coming at a fairly heavy price atm, he is a genuine wicket-taker, and from what i've seen has produced some stunning deliveries for SA. If he can really up the ante and land these sort of deliveries on a regular basis, he'll be a handful in the years to come. He may not be another Warne, but imo he's definetly a player of the future.

Dan Cullen has sadly let me down. I was a big fan of his when he burst onto the scene in 04/05 with 42 FC wickets, and i genuinely thought he was gonna produce the goods. Unfotunately though, he's produced Jack-All performances of note, and his international hopes are still riding on what he did that season, however, i get the feeling his stocks are starting to fall, especially with Heal & Bailey bowling well this season.
True re-Cullen, but most young spinners and in fact most bowlers start well have a bad trot and then come back :)

aussie tragic

International Captain
I predict Stuart MacGill will become the 3rd highest Aussie wicket taker (behind Warne & McGrath)

...btw, he just needs another 160 wkts...

Johnners

archie mac said:
True re-Cullen, but most young spinners and in fact most bowlers start well have a bad trot and then come back :)
tbh i hope he does :).... but he isn't showing any signs as yet :ph34r:

As far as OD options go Hauritz is ****ting all over the rest of them this season, and should really be on par with DC as far as an ODI call-up goes. Time will though... exciting times ahead for Australia cricket :)

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
I reckon it'll be a paceman for a few years until one of the spinners really starts ripping apart domestic sides, but you never know. I hope it's White.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Don’t know how Cameron White is doing in Aus but his bowling for Somerset in the County Championship was distinctly average. Didn’t help with the wickets at Taunton but him and his Aussie mate Dan Cullen were nothing more than milking cows for the batsman. Saw him a couple of times and he did look like Mr. Unthreatening personified.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
TT Boy said:
Don’t know how Cameron White is doing in Aus but his bowling for Somerset in the County Championship was distinctly average. Didn’t help with the wickets at Taunton but him and his Aussie mate Dan Cullen were nothing more than milking cows for the batsman. Saw him a couple of times and he did look like Mr. Unthreatening personified.

His batting was awesome though.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Cameron White, not based on any logic, rather just because I like watching him play.

Johnners

superkingdave said:
I read an article by Darren Lehmann talking up Bailey's chances, he's a fair judge.
Considering Warne judged Lehman as the best player of Spin... i'd say he's a far Judge to :)

Steulen

International Regular
I thought it was CA policy not to select Victorians in the Test squad?

Otherwise this whole thread is a bit pointless. Already looking forward to Richie Benaud trying to pronounce "orthdox".