Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ***Official**** Shane Warne Tribute thread

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar

***Official**** Shane Warne Tribute thread

Alright. It is a big day in cricket. Shane Warne has officially announced his retirement from the international game.

And instead of clogging up the front page of CC with tribute threads in various forms, I think it will be better to have one thread and have it stickied to the top for a few weeks.

So go on guys, tell everyone your favourite Warney moment, your favourite Warney wicket, your favourite Warney memory, what you think was his best match, the most unforgettable thing about Warne, what you think makes him the greatest leg spinner, what quality does he have that you think is generally missing in other spinners... Anything relating to Warne.

And please guys, lets keep this free of comparisons of any kind between any players. That can be kept aside for a diff. time and a diff. thread. This thread is about Warney and saluting his achievements and appreciating everything he has done for the game.
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

Cricket Web Staff Member archie mac's Avatar
    I admire his focus, his wife has left him, he has lost hundreds of thousands in contracts, his photo is all over the papers for all of the wrong reasons, and the BA is giving him grief.
    ( I'm thinking 2005 here)

But still Warne goes on, strikes a perfect lenth and gives 100% for the Aussie team.
    You know it makes sense.

Cricket Spectator

One of the game's three immortals!

As an England fan I should be pleased to hear of Warneys retirement. I am not, I am gutted. To think that I will never again watch him bowl in England in a Test Match is a very sad thought indeed!

Perhaps it is, however, right for Warne's legacy that he should go out at the top of his game.

Over the past century the names of WG Grace and Don Bradman have been spoken in awe as being the two immortal names of our beloved game. Now, I am certain there is a third name to join that rarest of elites who stand head and shoulders above all others who played the game. So to complete this immortal triumverate, stand up, SHANE WARNE.

There we are. GRACE, BRADMAN and WARNE. True Gods of the game for all time.

Jonathan Rhodes

Shane Warne is a cricketing genius. He is the greatest leg-spinner and one of the most influential figures in the history of cricket. He is an emblem of both passion and professionalism on the field. In spite of off-the-field controversy, he has remained focused on pursuing his passion for cricket, developing his own game and putting his heart and soul into the success of his team. One for the ages.

Stranger leering through a pair of binoculars
    So how about that Murali character. Bit of a bent elbow no doubt...

Anyway, what a great man. Game won't be the same
    Mark Waugh
    "He's [Michael Clarke] on Twitter saying sorry for not walking? Mate if he did that in our side there'd be hell to play. AB would chuck his Twitter box off the balcony or whatever it is. Sorry for not walking? Jesus Christ man."
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it into a fruit salad
    RIP Craigos

From when his Dad (who's quite wealthy in his own right) dropped him off in a Porsche outside Australian cricket headquarters for his first camp, after being selected for his debut in 1992, all the way through to his suffocating performance in Adelaide (4 for 49 off 32), he's just been a brilliant cricketer, a great team man, and the ultimate showman.

World Cup 1999.

Quite a remarkable tournament when you consider a few months ago he was actually dropped from the Australian for the 4th Test in St Johns after Brian Lara who had been given two Tests to prove his captaincy (and his spot perhaps?) went after him like he was a bowler on his Test debut/series.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    As I said in one of the other threads, it's the Gatting ball for me. The stage and the delivery just perfectly sum up Warne's character, ability and impact on the game. There's plenty of highlights, but that's at the top of the list.

On the subject of Warne tributes, anyone else read the "Warne timeline" on the cricinfo front page? Has a fair number of errors, for a professional piece. Even gets the timing of Warne's 7/52 against the West Indies and the 1993 Ashes mixed up, so it appears that the Ashes came first.
    I know a place where a royal flush
    Can never beat a pair

Yes, the Gatting ball is probably very significant, and probably the obvious answer. I think his efforts in the 2005 Ashes series (with bat and ball, mind you) were second to none.

One moment I really admired was in the Tsunami Relief World XI game at the MCG, when Warne asked Chris Gayle to move 5 metres towards fine on the boundary, and the next ball was lofted straight into the hands of Gayle.

Pure cricketing genius. The man knows what it's all about. Sad to see him go. The best we've ever seen; here's to you, Warney!!

Other than the Gatting ball he has bowled some other beauties over the past 15 years:

- Strauss ball

- big leg-break to Chanderpaul in 96

- flipper to Richie Richardson in 92

- big leg-break to Vaas in 2004

- classical leg-break to dismiss Tendulkar in Chennai 98 (i rate this one very highly)

- bowling Hamish Marshall round his legs in 2005

- bowling gibbs & kirsten in the 99 WC semi-final

Probaby more, but these i remember..

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    For me, it'll be bowling that ball that Hawkeye refused to believe actually happened last summer.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

International Vice-Captain mikeW's Avatar
    I just love some of the sledges he comes up with

Best EVER bowler as well.

Warne in 1999 world cup after Gibbs I believe who it was who got bowled

" C MON!!!!!!!!! "

I will never ever forget that.

Hall of Fame Member NZTailender's Avatar
    Don't have much to say that hasn't been said.

A fine cricketer the best
    President of SKAS - Kat is King | Proud member of CVAAS - One of the best | LRPLTAS - Rosco rocks!
    The NZTailender Supporting XI:
    H Rutherford, T Latham, N Broom, M Bracewell, D Brownlie, BJ Watling, D de Boorder+, M Henry, B Wheeler, H Bennett, A Milne
    Go Tigers!
    R.I.P. Fardin & Craig

Best player I've ever seen personally, by a long way. Game will not be the same without him. All the "controversy" will be forgotten in a few years as the fickle seekers of sensation find some new schmoe to obsess about, and us true fans will be left with a career and body of achievement that will only grow in the maturation from immediacy to fond memory...

Look forward to telling my son that his hero (circa 2015-20) is crap compared to Warne...
    Quote Originally Posted by Irfan
    We may not like you, your filthy rich coffers or your ratbag scum of supporters but by god do we respect you as a football team
    GOOD OLD COLLINGWOOD - PREMIERS IN 2010

Is Cam White, Is Good.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information