• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official**** Shane Warne Tribute thread

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
You'd think they could at least get the order of events right in that timeline, if not the dates. The 7/52 against the West Indies was before the tours of New Zealand and England, not after. It was his first really great spell at test level.

Also, wasn't it Andrew Hudson who Warne mouthed off at in South Africa in 1994, rather than Cullinan?

howardj

International Coach
Good on you, Shane.

I'll never forget his control and competitiveness.

What a champion.

But it's always best to go out on top.

See ya.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Sri Lankan cricket official: Australian spinner Warne failed to honour promise
(AP)

23 December 2006

COLOMBO, Sri Lanka - Australian spin bowler Shane Warne failed to honour his promise to donate money to help rebuild the Galle cricket stadium wrecked by the 2004 tsunami, a Sri Lankan cricket official said Saturday.

Shane is a fine cricketer, one of the best of our time, but he is not good at keeping promises,’ Jayananda Warnaweera, director of the Galle International Cricket Stadium told The Associated Press by the telephone from the southern city, one of the worst affected by the 2004 tsunami.

Warnaweera, who played test cricket for Sri Lanka for 10 years from 1985, said he was pained to see that Warne, who took his 500th test cricket at the Galle stadium and promised the money, had not kept his word.

We have not received a cent,’ said Warnaweera, who is also the curator of the ground.

One of the world’s most picturesque cricket stadiums, Galle was to be abandoned after the tsunami, which inflicted huge damages to the infrastructure and required the removal of 3 to 4 inches (10 to 8 centimeters) of top soil on the center pitches. The entire drainage system also needs to be replaced.

Since being converted into an international test venue in 1998, Galle International Stadium has hosted 12 tests.

In February, 2006 Warne visited Galle and promised help through the Shane Warne Foundation. Warne had a personal affection for the Galle Stadium because it was where he captured his 500th test wicket when Australia toured Sri Lanka in early 2004.

Warnaweera said Warne had promised during TV interviews that he will be able to donate a big amount for the reconstruction of the Galle Stadium.

We had heard he will donate up to US$1 million (Ð0.76 million), plus US$50,000 (Ð37,901.76) that was supposed to have been raised by selling wrist band during the Boxing Day Test at Melbourne,’ Warnaweera said.

The waiting had been too long and too painful,’ Warnaweera said of the lack of response from Warne. Just nothing has happened.

Therefore we decided to go ahead and start the work ourselves,’ he added.

Warnaweera said Sri Lankan president Mahinda Rajapakse, who is otherwise a Rugby fan, has agreed to provide the funds.

Our estimate is that it will cost between US$3 to US$4 million (Ð2.3 to Ð3 million) for the rebuilding work,’ he said, adding he plans to rebuild the facility by next November in time to host one of the tests when the English team visits Sri Lanka.

Warne has announced he will retire from all international and domestic cricket after the fifth Ashes test against England next month. The 37-year-old Australian legspinner, test cricket’s leading wicket taker with 699 dismissals, made the announcement on Thursday at the Melbourne Cricket Ground. He will return to the MCG on Tuesday attempting to secure his 700th test wicket in the fourth test against England.
All the money raised for the Stadium was diverted into rebuilding homes and basic infrastructure, as it was seen as more important at the time.

SquidAU

First Class Debutant
A bit late, I know but Warney deserves some tribute from me.

I do remember, as an 11 year old, seeing him getting pasted around the SCG by Shastri. And as an 11 year old, I thought it was fun to see that.

How much more fun was it to see him confuse batsmen all over?

Priceless.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Just saw his interview with Parkinson and taped it. Great interview, gave some clarification into the diuretic and match-fixing claims. Also in regards to how tough it was playing in Ashes 05 when his life was falling to bits. Barmy Army were shouting "First you lost your hair, then you lost your wife...". Crying in the lockerroom and in the hotel, yet coming out like a champion each time. What a legend.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
You'd think they could at least get the order of events right in that timeline, if not the dates. The 7/52 against the West Indies was before the tours of New Zealand and England, not after. It was his first really great spell at test level.

Also, wasn't it Andrew Hudson who Warne mouthed off at in South Africa in 1994, rather than Cullinan?
Correct (not that you're wrong too often...)

And yes, it was.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
As I said in the other thread, you can always question whether Warney was the best bowler of this generation. I guess Murali and of course McGrath can also lay claim to that title. But what is hardly disputable is the fact that he is the one man who was responsible in making spin bowling fashionable. He made leg spin look cool and trust me, that alone is worth its weight in gold. If Kapil Dev made fast bowling fashionable in India, Warney made spin bowling "cool" in Australia and in the rest of the fast bowling dominated teams.

Every ball of his was a joy to behold, not just because he was a genius leg spinner but also because he was a wonderful artist. He created an aura about his bowling and at times when his bowling wasn't good enough to get the wickets, his aura helped him get those wickets. That is what is great about him. He made it a compulsion for us to watch every ball of his. I can so easily imagine an important meeting in a hall and then all of a sudden they all stop to watch Warney's over. And then get back to the meeting again. And then again watch Warney's next over. It happens in my family when we put off important discussions with "lets talk during the next over". THAT will be the first of a thousand memories that Warney is gonna leave behind, for me.

Off the field, he may have made more than his fair share of mistakes, but to me he always gave the impression of a bloke who will speak his heart, for good or bad. At times it got him into trouble but to be fair to him, he always maintained that trait of his. That is what made him so famous among fans across the globe. I have had the opportunity to narrate one or two of my own experiences and interactions with him here at CW and for me, he was always one of the most approachable superstars of the game. He even gave me tips about bowling the flipper. Told me that I should grip it as I do my usual leg break and then just before getting into the bowling stride, I should change it and grip it with my thumb and index finger and then just let it rip down the pitch. (the fact that my attempted flippers were pulled away for 3 sixes during the game is another story. :p )

As Sean said, he may or may not be the best bowler in the world. That is a matter of opinion. But he has been the most IMPORTANT bowler, heck, I will say the most important cricketer, in the world for a decade and a half. That is not opinion, THAT IS A FACT. Farewell, Warney, hope you have a peaceful and contented life in retirement. And hopefully he will be around in the commentary box passing on his wisdom and his humour.

Bye, bye, Warnie. You will be missed. :)

I am sad. :(

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
Shocking... Depressing news to wake up to. Larger than life sort of bloke. Truly a legend, a great story teller, excellent motivator, outstanding sense of humor and think of leg spin, starts and ends with this man's name. This one is very hard to fathom.

vicleggie

State Vice-Captain
Is there another official thread?

Shocking news...what a larger than life character. He lived his life his way.

RIP Warnie

cnerd123

likes this
To me, Shane Warne epitomised spin bowling.

What I love about cricket, and about spin bowling in particular, can all be surmised by simply watching Warnie bowl. He would slow the pace of the game down, shifting focus away from the game situation and putting it on himself. Subtle field adjustments, a bit of chat. Oohs and ahhs after every ball, a strut back to the top of his mark. Even if he got hit for a boundary, you felt this was all part of his plan. Warnie was in control. Warnie was weaving his web. Cheeky smiles, cracking a joke, maybe even passing a comment on the batters technique. Every single thing he did was part of this great performance. Warne taking centre stage. All eyes on him as he unfurled this elaborate ruse that would inevitably end with the batters demise.

Warnie spun a big ball bowled a mean flipper, but really his personality was his biggest weapon.

He was so confident in his ability, had so much belief in his skills, and absolutely relished being in the centre of a contest. He made sure the spotlight was on him everytime he bowled. And what were his weapons really? A ball with a lot of revs on it? Fantastic control? He didn't bowl a googly. His action was simple. He didn't bowl with incredible speed or get ridiculous bounce. But you could never kill his spirit. And while he often had great bowlers at the other end, he never needed anyone else to build pressure for him. He did it alone. Carefully orchestrating the downfall of batsmen, plotting and scheming every ball. He scripted his overs beautifully, working with the entire range of spin, flight, pace and angle available to him. Laying out bait, throwing out jabs, finding cracks in the batters technique or mindset that he'd eventually exploit. Not shy of a word or two if it would help get the job done. He was an artist first, a showman second and a cricketer third. His work was unparalleled, and he spoke of spin bowling in a way I have never heard anyone speak of it before or since.

A generation of cricketers, myself included, carry a little bit of Warne in us whenever we play the game. Be it in the backyards or the streets. The chat, the strut, the keeping midwicket up in the circle and inviting the batsman to slog. Oohs and ahhs every time we beat the bat, even if we didn't mean to. Getting hit for six and daring the batsman to try it again. Warne shaped cricket culture, atleast for those of us blessed to watch him play.

I've never met the man. Never saw him live. Not a fan of who he became after he retired But I will always tie my love of the game to watching him bowl. The years I spent bowling legbreaks in the nets and at a lightpost in an abandoned parking lot. That night before a board exam where I put down the books so I could watch him lead RR to the first ever IPL championship. The 2005 Ashes, and the countless other spells in series around the world.

Thank you for the memories Warnie. Thank you for all you've given cricket.

:(

Marius

International Debutant
RIP to Shane Keith Warne.

He really used to tie us Saffas into knots but he was brilliant. Was also a character which the game needs I think. From his commentary it was also clear that he had a real passion for the game.

And in a sign that the universe is not without a sense of humour (a morbid one to be sure), yesterday was Daryll Cullinan's birthday.