• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official**** Shane Warne Tribute thread

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
What else can I say other than that it has been a privilege to even see him play, the persona, attitude, ability and cricketing acumen are all their to see when he shuffles in to bowl. I've not been watching cricket for as long as most of the people on these forums but I'll still remember Warney to the day I die, when I'm an old man watching the cricket with my grand kids and they are talking about the latest "great player" I'll feel privileged to tell them that I watched Shane Warne, the greatest bowler to ever live.

"He was Bradman of bowlers "-Sarfaraz Nawaz

"He was master of traditional leg spin,flipper & googly & always kept the batsmen guessing with them"-Javed Miandad

I myself have always been biased against him for being a drug cheat but even that doesn't stop me from admitting that he is the greatest leg spinner ever.

Choc

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Brilliant if ever brilliance needed an example he would be it when it came to a spinner

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
The Legend.

The Greatest.

The Man.

As cheery and full of life as you would hope to see a celebrity. Yet so humble and open that he'd share his tricks of the trade. Amazing and unpredictable, always surviving and always striving.

We couldn't help but to adore and be in awe. He was the light and we were the moths. And our days with Cricket will be a bit darker now, he has dimmed the spirit.

I hope you're always around Shane, as a person, as an ex-/cricketer. You made it fun, you made it cool, I won't be watching as much without you.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Great Cricketer who has contributed immensely to the game and will be remembered as a legend and a great .

With regard to the next Warne Mile stone -Warne will reach his 700th wicket soon , but more importantly he will in the next 2 Tests join Murali in the 1000 wickets in International Cricket Club. (needs 8 wickets more , Currently 699 + 293 = 992 wickets)

Macgrath needs quite a lot. And before the Ashes started he mentioned his desire to get 1000 wickets in International Cricket . He has a lot of work left to get there - unless he plays all the VB + all the World Cup games .
Currently 555 + 342 = 897 wickets - needs 103 wickets more.

Laurrz

International Debutant
Beefy says Warne ....is the greatest CRICKETER of ALL TIME

Warne the 'greatest ever'

IAN Botham last night paid Shane Warne the ultimate compliment, declaring him the greatest player to have set foot on a cricket field.

"I'm sorry, but I can't judge people who played 30 or 40 years before I was born because I think you can only really comment on what you've seen first hand," Botham said.

"And of the players I've seen, Warnie is out on his own."

Warne said in his column in The Times that Botham was one of the few people who tried to talk him out of retiring.

"He told me I'm still at the top of my game, that I'm the greatest cricketer that ever lived and that people in England would would love to see me play in the Ashes series in 2009," Warne wrote.

The retiring Warne has been named by many as the second greatest cricketer of all time behind Sir Donald Bradman, but Botham said he deserved the highest accolade.

"Just like the showman he is, with the job done, the stage set and the applause raining down, he is making his exit - and all I can say is well done mate," the former England all rounder said.

"He made the difficult choice once the Ashes were won and I think that is absolutely right. He is going out on top, as he deserves."

-----

of course the disclaimer comes in the 2nd para.... but even so it means he thinks Warne is the greatest cricketer in the modern era

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
He's definitly up there and as a character and icon of the game probably does stand alone.

Langeveldt

Soutie
World Cup 99 - The ball he got Herschelle Gibbs with - Probably the only time I haven't been annoyed at seeing SA lose a wicket..

Warney was an inspiration to me and I was fortunate enough to be in the position of being coached by the man who made him a megastar after taking up his art.. My favourite non-SA player by a mile, and dare I say it, the best bowler I will ever see...

There is genius, and then you can step above that, watch Warne bowling while listening to My Way by Frank Sinatra..

chipmonk

U19 Debutant
Sri Lankan cricket official: Australian spinner Warne failed to honour promise
(AP)

23 December 2006

COLOMBO, Sri Lanka - Australian spin bowler Shane Warne failed to honour his promise to donate money to help rebuild the Galle cricket stadium wrecked by the 2004 tsunami, a Sri Lankan cricket official said Saturday.

Shane is a fine cricketer, one of the best of our time, but he is not good at keeping promises,’ Jayananda Warnaweera, director of the Galle International Cricket Stadium told The Associated Press by the telephone from the southern city, one of the worst affected by the 2004 tsunami.

Warnaweera, who played test cricket for Sri Lanka for 10 years from 1985, said he was pained to see that Warne, who took his 500th test cricket at the Galle stadium and promised the money, had not kept his word.

We have not received a cent,’ said Warnaweera, who is also the curator of the ground.

One of the world’s most picturesque cricket stadiums, Galle was to be abandoned after the tsunami, which inflicted huge damages to the infrastructure and required the removal of 3 to 4 inches (10 to 8 centimeters) of top soil on the center pitches. The entire drainage system also needs to be replaced.

Since being converted into an international test venue in 1998, Galle International Stadium has hosted 12 tests.

In February, 2006 Warne visited Galle and promised help through the Shane Warne Foundation. Warne had a personal affection for the Galle Stadium because it was where he captured his 500th test wicket when Australia toured Sri Lanka in early 2004.

Warnaweera said Warne had promised during TV interviews that he will be able to donate a big amount for the reconstruction of the Galle Stadium.

We had heard he will donate up to US$1 million (Ð0.76 million), plus US$50,000 (Ð37,901.76) that was supposed to have been raised by selling wrist band during the Boxing Day Test at Melbourne,’ Warnaweera said.

The waiting had been too long and too painful,’ Warnaweera said of the lack of response from Warne. Just nothing has happened.

Therefore we decided to go ahead and start the work ourselves,’ he added.

Warnaweera said Sri Lankan president Mahinda Rajapakse, who is otherwise a Rugby fan, has agreed to provide the funds.

Our estimate is that it will cost between US$3 to US$4 million (Ð2.3 to Ð3 million) for the rebuilding work,’ he said, adding he plans to rebuild the facility by next November in time to host one of the tests when the English team visits Sri Lanka.

Warne has announced he will retire from all international and domestic cricket after the fifth Ashes test against England next month. The 37-year-old Australian legspinner, test cricket’s leading wicket taker with 699 dismissals, made the announcement on Thursday at the Melbourne Cricket Ground. He will return to the MCG on Tuesday attempting to secure his 700th test wicket in the fourth test against England.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
one of the greatest spinners to ever grace the game, a very colourful personality to boot, he has managed to plan pretty much the perfect exit from the game....congratulations to shane warne on reviving the dying art of leg-spin and then going on to make an exceptional career out of it!!!

pasag

RTDAS
chipmonk said:
Sri Lankan cricket official: Australian spinner Warne failed to honour promise
Tbf, he has said that with his retirement he is planning on focusing on the Shane Warne Foundation alot more. I'm sure he'll be able to look into these thing in more detail now.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
I am sure Warne will keep his promise with regard to funds for Galle.

* Slightly disappointed by the adverse publicity above *:ph34r:

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
silentstriker said:
I don't think any player would make me look at cricket as a sport differently, but a couple of these come close.
I thought that too, but for me personally, Warne has had such a large impact.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
As I said in the other thread, you can always question whether Warney was the best bowler of this generation. I guess Murali and of course McGrath can also lay claim to that title. But what is hardly disputable is the fact that he is the one man who was responsible in making spin bowling fashionable. He made leg spin look cool and trust me, that alone is worth its weight in gold. If Kapil Dev made fast bowling fashionable in India, Warney made spin bowling "cool" in Australia and in the rest of the fast bowling dominated teams.

Every ball of his was a joy to behold, not just because he was a genius leg spinner but also because he was a wonderful artist. He created an aura about his bowling and at times when his bowling wasn't good enough to get the wickets, his aura helped him get those wickets. That is what is great about him. He made it a compulsion for us to watch every ball of his. I can so easily imagine an important meeting in a hall and then all of a sudden they all stop to watch Warney's over. And then get back to the meeting again. And then again watch Warney's next over. It happens in my family when we put off important discussions with "lets talk during the next over". THAT will be the first of a thousand memories that Warney is gonna leave behind, for me.

Off the field, he may have made more than his fair share of mistakes, but to me he always gave the impression of a bloke who will speak his heart, for good or bad. At times it got him into trouble but to be fair to him, he always maintained that trait of his. That is what made him so famous among fans across the globe. I have had the opportunity to narrate one or two of my own experiences and interactions with him here at CW and for me, he was always one of the most approachable superstars of the game. He even gave me tips about bowling the flipper. Told me that I should grip it as I do my usual leg break and then just before getting into the bowling stride, I should change it and grip it with my thumb and index finger and then just let it rip down the pitch. (the fact that my attempted flippers were pulled away for 3 sixes during the game is another story. :p )

As Sean said, he may or may not be the best bowler in the world. That is a matter of opinion. But he has been the most IMPORTANT bowler, heck, I will say the most important cricketer, in the world for a decade and a half. That is not opinion, THAT IS A FACT. Farewell, Warney, hope you have a peaceful and contented life in retirement. And hopefully he will be around in the commentary box passing on his wisdom and his humour.

Bye, bye, Warnie. You will be missed. :)

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
adharcric said:
Gem of a tribute there. Wish I had a chance to watch Warne for a longer portion of his career. :(
some quick editing there...good work....;)