• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia's Leadership Group?

With the Impending departure of 3 of the leadership group in McGrath,Warne and Gilchrist and the loss of Martyn Already.

Who do you see as the likely contenders to take up a place in Australia's Leadership Group?

Michael Hussey -

Although only played 14 Tests his year's of First Class Experience stand him in ausome stead up there with Lehmann IMO in Leadership skills.

Michael Clarke -

Played 25 Tests and will be in the Australian Team for the Next 10 Years, obviously a logical choice and will need to stand up to be counted as he is most probably the one after Ponting.

Brett Lee -

Now a Veteran of 57 Test Matches has quite possibly 6 years left in him but it could turn out to be 3 years but in those years will be Australia's Most Experienced Bowler and will need to stand up with Stuart Clark to lead the attack.

Cameron White -

No Matter what people say he has potential and leadership is certaintly part of that potential certaintly knocking on the one day door so his experience of captaining Victoria will be vital. Lets Hope he performs as well.

Does anyone else have any possibiliy's or ideas?

oz_fan

International Regular
Agree with those you mentioned, but I doubt Cameron White will find his way into the team anytime soon. Stuart Clark should become part of the leadership group as well if McGrath goes.

I think Cameron White has quite a lot of potential for ODI's that's why I Chucked him in there as he is definetly ODI leadership Material in 5 years if he has played enough ODI Cricket.

Clark does not really stand out as a natural leader to me more a follow me kind of leader is this the leadership Australia needs I also think Punter is similar?

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Definately Hussey and I think Michael Clarke and Brad Haddin will play an important role as leaders in the future, Brett Lee aswell.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Shane Watson has been vice captain of Australia A and Tasmania. But Hussey will be vice captain and Clarke debuty vice or whatever. Then whoever steps up between Watson, White and Mosies as the main all rounder will likely be vice captain to Clarke in the future.

Brett Lee will play a similar role to McGarth interms of the bowling attack leadership.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Cameron White should already be in your ODI team. I can't believe you can't find space for a guy who hit 141* in a Twenty20 match. :wacko:

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Clarke should be the next Australian Captain imho, and for that reason, i'd make him Vice when Gilly calls it quits.

Whilst harsh to judge him after only 1 game, Hussey's captaincy in Malaysia against the WI was pretty darn ordinary. Whether it was nerves, inexperience etc. it sure didn't look good.

I'd have Haddin as Clarke's deputy, he's done well for NSW when captaining afaic, and that experience should hold him in good stead. I'd definetly have Hussey, Clark & Lee as part of the "Leadership Group" though, as their experience would be vital for the newbies.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Lee is 30 already. Clearly he's a really fit bloke, but bowling like he does, he can't be expected to hang around for ever.

Choc

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I'm all for Clarke, time Brett will really have to step and show his knowledge with the team Cameron should definateley be in the team at least8-)