• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Murali praise for old rival Warne

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
shortpitched713 said:
Warne has slagged off on Murali for taking cheap wickets against minnows. Murali praises Warne at the end of his career.

As far as class goes Murali>>>>>Warne.
I think Murali is a classy guy and more in touch with his mannerisms than Warne is, but to think it's just Warne hammering Murali is wrong. As others have said, let's stick to Warne and not the comparisons - let's give one of the greatest cricketers you will ever see a bit of respect.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
KaZoH0lic said:
He hasn't been squeaky clean, but it's usually because Arjuna does it for him.
never knew ranatunga was his spokesman, trust you to come up with some utter rubbish...:)

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Anil said:
never knew ranatunga was his spokesman, trust you to come up with some utter rubbish...:)
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/02/18/1077072715056.html
http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/srilanka/content/story/230503.html

Just a quick search on google and there you go...

Please, if you're going to say something, try not to sound daft. If you gave it some thought - rubbed those brain cells together - you might actually consider I didn't mean that Murali GOT Arjuna to say anything, but that the 'battle' between them was heated both ways.

Last edited:

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
KaZoH0lic said:
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/02/18/1077072715056.html
http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/srilanka/content/story/230503.html

Just a quick search on google and there you go...

Please, if you're going to say something, try not to sound daft. If you gave it some thought - rubbed those brain cells together - you might actually consider I didn't mean that Murali GOT Arjuna to say anything, but that the 'battle' between them was heated both ways.
those articles don't even show a battle between them...it shows some aggro/slanging match between ranatunga and warne...and you might actually rub your brain cells together before making absolutely daft insinuations....:)

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Anil said:
those articles don't even show a battle between them...it shows some aggro/slanging match between ranatunga and warne...and you might actually rub your brain cells together before making absolutely daft insinuations....:)
Which is exactly...

Um, LOL, you're an... nevermind :).

I guess you can't expect much from someone who argues about the genuine nature of the recently fatherless. Nope, that person is short a few bread-sticks.

Mahindinho

State Vice-Captain
Come on lads, let's stop with the slanging matches!

Murali and Warne were never friends, as far as I could see. Rivals, with mutual respect (however begrudging), but never friends. The fact that Warne helped out with Murali's post-tsunami effort in SL shows his class, though.

Shane Warne is one of the greatest bowlers the world has ever seen. I'm British with Sri Lankan heritage*, and an avid Murali fan, but I still don't rate Murali as a significantly better bowler than Warne. If you asked each to bowl one delivery, Murali's would be better IMHO...but no-one creates the tension that Warne does - the man smothers batsmen into making bad decisions with his head, and only then does his whirling wrist come into play!

* Yes, I'd fail the Tebbitt test, and by quite a long way. Supporting two teams does mean that I've been able to boo and hiss in Shane Warne's direction twice as much over the years - after all, he does symbolise the team that I most love to see beaten ;)

Warne's retirement takes a bit of magic away from cricket :(

Legga

Banned
Murali is a nice man from what I have seen and red.
That statement of his about Warne only confirms my opinions about him as a man.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
KaZoH0lic said:
Which is exactly...

Um, LOL, you're an... nevermind :).

I guess you can't expect much from someone who argues about the genuine nature of the recently fatherless. Nope, that person is short a few bread-sticks.
why did you even bring murali into it then? how can he help what ranatunga says? who exactly is stretching his imagination here?

adharcric

International Coach
KaZoH0lic said:
I didn't mean that Murali GOT Arjuna to say anything, but that the 'battle' between them was heated both ways.
Surely this is a battle between Arjuna (not Murali) and Warne since Murali isn't the one doing the talking? Anyways, this is a trivial issue so let's not ruin Warne's moment guys.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Go read Arjuna's comments in regards to Shane's India record and Murali echoes the same thing. Sorry, it IS there and I'm not going to hold anyone's hand and explain it to them. Also this is Warne's time.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Murali has shown that he has a little more class and humility than Warne on a no. of occassions now. But honestly to claim as if Warne is not a nice guy is a little too much.

Sure, Warne has made stupid decisions as a person and sure, he seems to have a problem with monogamy but when it comes to talking to fans and all, I honestly think he is a bit better at it than Murali. I have had the opportunity of watching both men from very close quarters and it was only Warney who has actually had a chat with me. Murali was always focussed on his work and then he used to turn around and wave and smile and then go away. I definitely felt that Warney was more approachable.

And I remember in the 2004 chennai test, we had pavilion seats (me and my cousins and my uncle) and we wrote 'Murali > Warne' and then held it up. Warne was the next man due in and therefore he was in the front row chairs and not inside the dressing room. There was only a steel barricade which seperated us from him. We were so close to him. My cousin shouted "Warney" and then held up this slogan. Warne's reaction was very interesting. He looked at us hard, smiled, nodded and then showed us a thumbs-up sign with his right hand. I wonder if Murali could have taken a "Warne > Murali" sign so easily.

I guess the problem is that while Murali is slightly more grounded and always thinks before he acts, Warney is probably the instinctive sort of guy. As I said earlier, he may have been a very bad vis-a-vis his wife and also some of his antics like drugs and women may have contributed to this reputation of his, but the fact remains that as far as treating fans is concerned, he is right up there with the best, at least for me. :)

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
HB that's a cool story. What a Legend. He says he doesn't care about the records and stuff and in the back of your mind you think "yeah right", but he really is that kinda guy who is just really nice. I saw him at a book signing once and he was more interested in signing people's stuff and chatting to them than the news reporters - in fact he told them off so he could spend more time with the people.

dnx

Cricket Spectator
c'mon guys this is supposed to be about Warne's retirement and appreciating him. Why bring Murali into this? They're completely different people and they each play the game in their own ways.
Lets just appreciate them for what they are.
No need to compare.

I have to say that I have never been a fan of Warne, but even I was dissappointed to hear about his retirement. Whatever he did off the field he was a great bowler and a real character. And yes, the game will miss him.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
honestbharani said:
Please, guys.... This is a time to celebrate Warney and all that he has done for the game. Surely the debate about Murali Vs Warne in terms of bowling, niceness, morality, vices, virtues etc. can wait.

I think Murali could have gone one step ahead with his praises for Warney though. Personally (and this is just a matter of opinion) I do believe that he is ever-so-slightly the better bowler than Warney but even the most die hard Murali fan cannot question the fact that it was Warney who made spin bowling fashionable again all over the cricketing world. And in terms of bringing in an aura of excitement every time he came on to bowl, the theatrics and just in terms of compelling people to sit and watch his overs, I think Warney is unparalleled. Not even Murali can match him there. That is what we are going to miss now in the coming years.
How well said