• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Tremendous show of commitment from a 18 year old

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Completely with Fusion and Anil here, especially this post:
Fusion said:
Agreed. I don't think either Anil or I are questioning this guy's loyalty to his teammates or love for his father. What I am questioning is society's warped sense of priorities. We have made it admirable for an athlete to play a game after suffering a massive personal loss. How many times do you hear of athletes skipping the birth of their kids because they have a big game coming up? In the end, it is only a game, no matter how important. There are bigger things in life that one should focus on IMO. I think it would be more admirable if an aggrieved person didn't think about trivial matters such as sport, and instead spent time with friends and family.

adharcric

International Coach
Although I agree for the most part, I still don't think it's quite as simple as "they should spend time with family rather than be on the field".
Being on the field can be admirable as well ... it's a subjective call and really depends on individual circumstances which none of us are really aware of.

Dasa

adharcric said:
Although I agree for the most part, I still don't think it's quite as simple as "they should spend time with family rather than be on the field".
Being on the field can be admirable as well ... it's a subjective call and really depends on individual circumstances which none of us are really aware of.
Yeah, that's true. We can't judge this instance because none of us commenting know the family in question and don't know what thought processes Kohli went through before making his decision.
I suppose I'm more concerned that society expects and considers it admirable when someone is on the field rather than with their family in times of major family events (death, childbirth, etc) in general.
It's probably because I don't place that much meaning in sport. I love to play it, and I like to see India win, but ultimately it's not something that matters so much to me, and definitely not so much that I'd leave my family to indulge myself in it.

adharcric

International Coach
Dasa said:
Yeah, that's true. We can't judge this instance because none of us commenting know the family in question and don't know what thought processes Kohli went through before making his decision.
I suppose I'm more concerned that society expects and considers it admirable when someone is on the field rather than with their family in times of major family events (death, childbirth, etc) in general.
It's probably because I don't place that much meaning in sport. I love to play it, and I like to see India win, but ultimately it's not something that matters so much to me, and definitely not so much that I'd leave my family to indulge myself in it.
Definitely. Sport can be a hobby and even a passion, but it shouldn't come ahead of family.
Of course, that doesn't necessarily make it right or wrong to play in match hours after the demise of a family member ... depends on your motivation.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Some people might find it therapeutic as such to use cricket as a vehicle to "get away from it all" a bit. I've found it that way before, albeit not after losing a parent.

shankar

International Debutant
Dasa said:
I think an important reason why it's considered admirable is because cricket's a team sport. For example if this kid was say, a tennis player and had gone and played immediately (not representing the country or some such group) after his father's death, it wouldnt be seen in such an admirable light and might even be criticised. Even in cricket if he had gone and played in a situation where the match wasnt in a precarious position purely for personal glory, it wouldnt be looked at in a positive light. So the reason why his action is admired is because it's seen as a selfless act (true or not) for the sake of his team members and not because of society's expectations wrt sport.

adharcric

International Coach
shankar said:
I think an important reason why it's considered admirable is because cricket's a team sport. For example if this kid was say, a tennis player and had gone and played immediately (not representing the country or some such group) after his father's death, it wouldnt be seen in such an admirable light and might even be criticised. Even in cricket if he had gone and played in a situation where the match wasnt in a precarious position purely for personal glory, it wouldnt be looked at in a positive light. So the reason why his action is admired is because it's seen as a selfless act (true or not) for the sake of his team members and not because of society's expectations wrt sport.
Is it really a precarious situation in the larger sceme of things though? In cricket, it certainly is ... but in life? In comparison to family? I think that's what Dasa is hinting at.

Dasa

adharcric said:
Is it really a precarious situation in the larger sceme of things though? In cricket, it certainly is ... but in life? In comparison to family? I think that's what Dasa is hinting at.
Yeah, pretty much.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Anil said:
and you do...since you make so many qualified judgements about his behaviour?
I'm assuming the guy is a good person therefore I think positively of what he has done. You take it in bad light therefore you must be thinking poorly about his relationship with his family - and I think it's disrespectful, even disgraceful to make THAT assumption, while there is pretty much no harm thinking he is a good bloke and he did well by others. I hope you understand the difference.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Fusion, Anil -

I see where you guys are coming from and I understand your point. But the fact is, in my office itself, there have been instances when people have come to work on an important day even though they would have had a tragic death of a family member overnight. When there is a VERY important job to do which is critical for the hand that pays you, some people do tend to be committed enough to turn up for work and set aside the mourning for later. IN any case, the kid went back to the cremation here. So it is not like he put cricket over his father. Just that his presence was critical for his team's chances and he showed up and played a courageous hand. That deserves praise, I would think.

It is not even society's fault because no one of any society would have questioned him if he had missed the rest of the game. But he didn't. Didn't Sachin fly back to the 99 WC just a day after his dad had passed away to play the next game? I also heard of a very moving story of a South African (or English, not sure) batsman who lost his fiance in a boat accident turning up to bat on the next day as his team were on the verge of defeat. He batted no.11 and in fact no one expected him to bat. Everyone were looking to leave the field when this guy came out to bat. He batted with gay abandon and it is on record that even the opposition fielders were cheering his shots. Apparently, the nonstriker, some of the opposition players, most of the crowd and even the officials were in tears during that knock.

These are some of the special moments in sports, to me. I think Kohli wouldn't have turned up had they secured the first innings lead on the day before itself.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Its amazing what this kid did and yes its difficult to see oneslef doing the same. But is that reason enough to be critical of him or of those heaping praise on him?
Do we know all the other things that may have happened? Do we know how his father was involved in his future in the game? Do we know if the kid (and his family) decided to do this (play) because thats what his father would have wanted him to do? Is it not possible that he did it not so much for the team than for his father. We dont know.

So lets not be critical/cynical by taking refuge in logic etc.

Its an amazing story and does speak of a very resolute and strong individual PERIOD.

adharcric

International Coach
Cricinfo said:
The old man would have approved
Your team's struggling at 103 for 5 and staring at a follow-on in the evening; your father passes away early the next morning. What do you do? Virat Kohli chose to bat for his Delhi. His family was not so sure. They decided to let the boy play after making sure he would return home in time for the funeral. Kohli, playing in his first Ranji season, hit a fluent 90 to lift his team out of the ditch. "The family elders were in two minds and were objecting but it was finally decided that Virat will go and play - even his father would have wanted the same," said his brother Vikas Kohli. After getting out, he came back to the dressing room, removed his pads and watched the replay of his dismissal. 'Not out,' was his verdict and he went to the crematorium.
Now we have the inside story.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
i completely agree with you...don't know why everyone is praising this so much, sounded completely weird to me that he would do that with his father so recently passed away...
It is not weird. It was a tough choice that he made and definitely an admirable quality for an 18 year old to not only decide to play but to play well.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
yeah... thought of this thread when I saw his 100 against SL.. Still needs a lot of improvement in his batting but at least he seems to have the right attitude and that is usually 90% of what is needed once you reach this level. All the best to the young man... :)