• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ricky Ponting.The best?

PhoenixFire

International Coach
60 down from 99 is good going. He used his brain to gain an advantage, where not many other people would.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
PhoenixFire said:
60 down from 99 is good going. He used his brain to gain an advantage, where not many other people would.
Yea, and got owned for the rest of eternity by anyone remotely related to the game of cricket.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Many people find his acheievments (or failure, depending on whether you class a 4-1 win in the Ashes a sucess or not), to be great.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
PhoenixFire said:
Many people find his acheievments (or failure, depending on whether you class a 4-1 win in the Ashes a sucess or not), to be great.
But most find it a disgrace to the game (hence it was outlawed).

PhoenixFire

International Coach
I find it rather irritating that you assume that everyone in the world agrees with you on certain subjects. Or can you no accept that?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
PhoenixFire said:
I find it rather irritating that you assume that everyone in the world agrees with you on certain subjects. Or can you no accept that?
I said 'most', not all. Are you going to argue that most people accept bodyline?

PhoenixFire

International Coach
I'm not trying to say that most people accept it, but I doubt that most people would say it isn't acceptable.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
PhoenixFire said:
I'm not trying to say that most people accept it, but I doubt that most people would say it isn't acceptable.
If most people don't accept it, then most people would say that it is unacceptable. Or am I missing something?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
So you are going to say that most people didn't have a problem with Bodyline? OK, find the number of books and articles written advocating bodyline vs. number of things written against bodyline.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Ricky Ponting inherited the best team in the World and has kept that run going, it doesn't automatically make him the greatest ever captain.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
silentstriker said:
So you are going to say that most people didn't have a problem with Bodyline? OK, find the number of books and articles written advocating bodyline vs. number of things written against bodyline.
I don't know to be fair, I've liked cricket since I was about 11, and thats only 3 years, so I don't really know what the worldwide view on it is, although I assume that Australians hate it, and English people see no problem as a rule.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
PhoenixFire said:
I don't know to be fair, I've liked cricket since I was about 11, and thats only 3 years, so I don't really know what the worldwide view on it is, although I assume that Australians hate it, and English people see no problem as a rule.
Highly doubtful. Larwood was demonized even in England, though first he was a hero.