• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Streak - Can Australia Do It Again?

howardj

International Coach
Australia have now won 10 Test matches in succession.

Can we get the record?

The record is 16 (Australia 1999-2001).

Australia's next seven Test matches are slated as follows:

England (Dec/Jan - two matches)
Zimbabwe (July - two matches)**
Sri Lanka (November - two matches)
India (December - three matches)

** in doubt.

Subject to the weather - I think we can do it.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
The biggest test is certainly the next two tests. If Australia win both of those I think they might break the record, particularly if the Zimbabwe matches go ahead. Obviously rain or anything could still get in the way, but Australia are definitely capable of winning 2-4 in a row against Sri Lanka and India, at home.

Might also depend on retirements and so on. We don't know if Gilchrist, McGrath and Warne will be available in a year, though I imagine they will be, if fit.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Honestly, and not intending to disrespect Sri Lanka or India, but I think even with Gilchrist McGrath and Warne out of the team, we would be realistic chances to clean sweep both of those teams on home turf. The players lined up as replacements (for Gilchrist and McGrath at least) are good enough for that, if not necessarily good enough to absolutely replace the current guys.

Assuming the other guys stay in near their current form as well, obviously.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Very possible i'd say, but as Faaip said the next two test will go along way in deciding if they can do it even if they lose some of the greats to retirement come next home season vs IND & SRI.

howardj

International Coach
One of the SLanka Test matches is slated for Hobart.

The Tassie weather could be our undoing.

And yeah, I'm already writing off the Poms.

I gave them a fair go, and then got burnt.

Slow Love™

International Captain
aussie said:
Very possible i'd say, but as Faaip said the next two test will go along way in deciding if they can do it
LOL, yes, indeed they will. In fact I'd venture to say that if we don't win those two, we may not pull it off.

Sri Lanka did all right last time they were out here in the off-season a couple of years ago. If the pitches are flat, they could prove a tough opposition to put away, and their more recent form backs that up further.

It's funny to think that if we do play the Zim games, and win everything up to December '07, we'll be facing India on 16 consecutive wins, just like last time. Wouldn't it be a bloody PITA if India stopped us again?

gunner

U19 Cricketer
you can take the zimbabwe tests out

zimbabwes test status is being reinstated in october when they tour pakistan

i think only india or pakistan can end their streak when aussies tour both

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
We always seem to be due to play Zimbabwe when they're "not Test status". I remember we toured there a few years ago just a couple of weeks after they'd put out a reserve team and been mauled by Sri Lanka. The ICC decided that they weren't Test class and so our Tests against them were cancelled, as was the next team to tour Zimbabwe, which I think was going to be India.

Strangely, though, Sri Lanka got to keep their two "Tests" as official, rather than them being removed from the records.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Slow Love™ said:
LOL, yes, indeed they will. In fact I'd venture to say that if we don't win those two, we may not pull it off.

Sri Lanka did all right last time they were out here in the off-season a couple of years ago. If the pitches are flat, they could prove a tough opposition to put away, and their more recent form backs that up further.

It's funny to think that if we do play the Zim games, and win everything up to December '07, we'll be facing India on 16 consecutive wins, just like last time. Wouldn't it be a bloody PITA if India stopped us again?
Its quite different playing them at home and playing them in Australia. I think if you can beat England the next two tests and then avoid bad weather, you can do it.

Slow Love™

International Captain
silentstriker said:
Its quite different playing them at home and playing them in Australia.
We really need a "No ****, Sherlock" emoticon. :p

If we don't play Zim, and we win the remaining Ashes tests and the two SL matches, we'd have to win the first two tests against India. Obviously our chances of doing that should be decent, but you never know, it's a year off in the future and anything could happen, particularly if Dravid and Sehwag fire, like last time.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
When I looked at the title of this thread I thought howard meant The Streak of holding the Ashes from 1989-2005 & handing the Pommies their arses on a plate each & every time! :p

To which I would probably answer: yes, yes they can. :unsure:

Dravid

International Captain
Australia lucky they don't have India during July or Aug in India, or else there would have been no results in any matches because of the extended amount of rain.. Or should I say India should be lucky (Insert one of those ninja smilies that I can't remember the code to because I'm using quick reply)

Dravid

International Captain
silentstriker said:
They play India in Australia? If so, then yes you can. But you also have to get lucky with the weather.
Theres a series in India, then a couple of months later there is a series in Australia if I remember correctly

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Highly likely they can do it.

Why are Australia only playing India 3 times? I thought they made a deal to always have a 4 test match series?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Jono said:
Highly likely they can do it.

Why are Australia only playing India 3 times? I thought they made a deal to always have a 4 test match series?
Has the three test schedule been finalized? Odd that we played four in WI but would play only three in a bigger market.

Also, playing three tests and seven ODI against England is full of crap. Four tests and three ODI, or five tests and three ODI would be great.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah the crapness of that was seen in India when England toured. That series would have been awesome had it been a 4 test one. Would have been a tense 4th test.

Anyway I'm pretty sure India will play Australia down here in a 4 test match series. I'm almost positive they made an agreement along those lines. I mean the last two series have been 4 test matches.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I hope so. One thing that I would really like the ICC to do is to increase the FTP from six years to eight, but increase the minimum from two tests to four. So every country must play every other country home and way once every eight years but they must play four tests each time.

That might actually be a slight lessening of the total amount of cricket played, while increasing the time for each series...a win/win IMO.

And no more crap two test series like NZ/SL.