• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Law 37

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
1. Out Obstructing the field
Either batsman is out Obstructing the field if he wilfully obstructs or distracts the opposing side by word or action. It shall be regarded as obstruction if either batsman wilfully, and without the consent of the fielding side, strikes the ball with his bat or person, other than a hand not holding the bat, after the ball has touched a fielder. See 4 below.

This is the law, and the part in bold seems odd. What does that mean? Sledging? Or does that mean he can't yell out 'DROP IT' when the ball is in the air?

archie mac

International Coach
silentstriker said:
1. Out Obstructing the field
Either batsman is out Obstructing the field if he wilfully obstructs or distracts the opposing side by word or action. It shall be regarded as obstruction if either batsman wilfully, and without the consent of the fielding side, strikes the ball with his bat or person, other than a hand not holding the bat, after the ball has touched a fielder. See 4 below.

This is the law, and the part in bold seems odd. What does that mean? Sledging? Or does that mean he can't yell out 'DROP IT' when the ball is in the air?

Yelling out drop it, or running towards the fielder as he tries to catch the ball, I think Hutton is still the only player to be given out this way in a Test:unsure:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
archie mac said:
Yelling out drop it, or running towards the fielder as he tries to catch the ball, I think Hutton is still the only player to be given out this way in a Test:unsure:
Can it not be interpreted as a rule against sledging by the batsman since it may distract the fielders?

Not saying it has ever been used in this way or that it should, but it seems to me that it could. Unless the rule only applies when the ball is live, in which case sledging doesn't come into play.

I realize the 'action' part (i.e flinging your bat at the fielder if he's trying to catch it :laugh:), just the 'word' part seems weird.

adharcric

International Coach
I'd love to see someone distract a fielder like that some day.

11.2 Asif to Dhoni, peace of a delivery shaping away, Dhoni goes for the expansive drive and edges it to first slip, looks like he yelled out "Aloo!" and Inzy's DROPPED a sitter!

LA ICE-E

State Captain
adharcric said:

11.2 Asif to Dhoni, peace of a delivery shaping away, Dhoni goes for the expansive drive and edges it to first slip, looks like he yelled out "Aloo!" and Inzy's DROPPED a sitter!
lol halarious then inzy goes around the field to kick dhonis ass but cant catch up

R_D

International Debutant
adharcric said:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Pretty sure inzi will start waving his bat around.

Dravid

International Captain
adharcric said:

:laugh: good one.