• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

# 4 for 1946-2006 World Test XI

# 4 for 1946-2006 World Test XI

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

aussie tragic

International Captain
The # 4 for the 1946-2006 World Test XI is now up for selection from the following:

Greg Chappell (Aus): 87 tests, 7110 runs @ 53.86, HS 247*, (24/31), 122 catches --- 47 wkts @ 40.70
Ricky Ponting (Aus): 107 tests, 9239 runs @ 59.99, HS 257, (33/35), 121 catches
Sachin Tendulkar (Ind): 132 tests, 10,469 runs @ 55.39, HS 248*, (35/41), 82 catches --- 37 wkts @ 51.16
Clyde Walcott (WI): 44 tests, 3798 runs @ 56.68, HS 220, (15/14), 53 catches (incl. 15 tests as WK)
Everton Weekes (WI): 48 tests, 4455 runs @ 58.61, HS 207, (15/19), 49 catches

......As usual, the runner-ups will go into # 5 Poll

The 1946-2006 World Test XI so far:

1. Sunil Gavaskar (51.12)
2. Len Hutton (54.62)
3. Viv Richards (50.23)

7. Adam Gilchrist – Poll still running

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Really tough one, down between Tendulkar and Chappell. I hate voting against SRT, but Chappelli just edges it.

aussie tragic

International Captain
Richards and Chappell were the greatest batsmen of the 1970-90 era IMO so I'd like to see them in the same team........though this makes it a very difficult choice for # 5 & # 6 between Ponting, Tendulkar, Lara & Sobers......

[as if tendulkar won't win :)]

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
My ideal batting order would be:
  1. Hutton
  2. Gavaskar
  3. Ponting
  4. Tendulkar
  5. Richards
  6. Sobers
  7. Gilchrist

My second most ideal batting order:

1. Hutton
  2. Gavaskar
  3. Richards
  4. Tendulkar
  5. Lara
  6. Sobers
  7. Gilchrist

The likely, and IMO a mistake, batting order:

1. Hutton
  2. Gavaskar
  3. Richards
  4. Tendulkar
  5. Sobers
  6. Imran
  7. Gilchrist

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I don't know about >>>. Maybe >, but Chappell was an excellent player, almost on par with Sachin, and I can't fault anyone for picking him.

Dravid

International Captain
silentstriker said:
I don't know about >>>. Maybe >, but Chappell was an excellent player, almost on par with Sachin, and I can't fault anyone for picking him.
Honestly, to me the only batsman apart from Bradman that is better than sachin *skills* wise would be Viv Richards

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Dravid said:
Honestly, to me the only batsman apart from Bradman that is better than sachin *skills* wise would be Viv Richards
Sobers? Hobbs? Both better. You can make an argument for Hammond, Hutton, Chappell, Richards, Headley, Weekes, Pollock, and Lara too. Not saying all are necessarily better, but IMO its clear that at least Hobbs was better, and you can make an argument for the rest of them. So, in my rankings, Sachin could go in anywhere from #3 all time to #13.

Last edited:

Dravid

International Captain
silentstriker said:
Sobers? Hobbs? Both better. You can make an argument for Hammond, Hutton, Chappell, Richards, Headley, Weekes, Pollock, and Lara too. Not saying all are necessarily better, but IMO its clear that at least Hobbs was better, and you can make an argument for the rest of them. So, in my rankings, Sachin could go in anywhere from #3 all time to #13.
Alright I agree with you on Hobbs, but Sobers is par with Sachin imo, and sachin being ahead of the rest.

aussie tragic

International Captain
silentstriker said:
The likely, and IMO a mistake, batting order:
  1. Hobbs
  2. Gavaskar
  3. Richards
  4. Tendulkar
  5. Sobers
  6. Imran
  7. Gilchrist
When did Hobbs make it into the Post-war XI ;)

Last edited:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Ponting almost reaches Sachin despite playing much less - will overtake him and I think by the end of his career will be regarded even higher.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
KaZoH0lic said:
Ponting almost reaches Sachin despite playing much less - will overtake him and I think by the end of his career will be regarded even higher.
If he keeps it up for another two or so years and fixes his record in India (a horrible average of less than 20), I would agree with you.

JBH001

International Regular
It was a toss up between Chappelli and SRT.

Went with SRT.

:)

(very difficult decision though)