• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

# 4 for 1946-2006 World Test XI

# 4 for 1946-2006 World Test XI

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

R_D

International Debutant
KaZoH0lic said:
Ponting almost reaches Sachin despite playing much less - will overtake him and I think by the end of his career will be regarded even higher.
Statistically maybe thats about it.

Sachin for me.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
clearly between tendulkar, weekes and chappell....as good as he is, ponting doesn't cut it in that group...went for tendulkar....

Dravid

International Captain
KaZoH0lic said:
Ponting almost reaches Sachin despite playing much less - will overtake him and I think by the end of his career will be regarded even higher.
Main reason being, Sachin was better than Ponting at 31, the only dif will be Ponting won't be playing around 18+ years of international Cricket in the end to bring his record down. When it comes down to skills between the two at that age we all know who would be called better.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Chappell for me, with Sachin to go in at number 5, unless the Lara fans can overwhelm the Sachinistas

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
What a collection of batsman - I don't think any of them are out of place in this company, but it has to be Sachin. In his prime, he was pure magic.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Dravid said:
Main reason being, Sachin was better than Ponting at 31
Was he really though.

He averaged 92 in that one year, but that was very much helped by Bangladesh and a very under-strength Australian line up.

Ponting on the other hand is averaging 70odd over a very long period.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
marc71178 said:
Was he really though.

He averaged 92 in that one year, but that was very much helped by Bangladesh and a very under-strength Australian line up.

Ponting on the other hand is averaging 70odd over a very long period.
Sachin from 1997 - 2002 averaged about 68. I think he was a better player, but didn't average more. Though like I've said before, Ponting has the potential to surpass SRT and Lara by either A) Continuing on this form for another 1-2 years or improving his ridiculously low average of 12.28 in India.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
marc71178 said:
Yes, when he was 24-28/29, not 31...
Yup, you are right, I misunderstood.

In 2004, when he was 31, he did average 70.11. But that figure is misleading, and he wasn't as good as Ponting is...in fact he was pretty horrible.

He played tests against Australia, Pakistan, South Africa and Australia again but his scores were:

241*,60*,194*,2,8,1,8,2,5,55,3,20,32*.

So nowhere near as good as Ponting (or really that many people, outside the first three not out scores).

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I think though Tendulkar at 31 was really a 34 year old Tendulkar, considering the injuries he had and his time in cricket.

Tendulkar's one of the rare batsmen whose peak was before 30, in his case well before 30, most likely due to the early start he had.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah I think an age-based comparison between Tendulkar and Ponting is a bit silly. Different batsmen peak at different stages in their career, simple as that. Tendulkar at 25 was clearly a much better batsman than Ponting at 25, and the reverse applies for 31/32.

bagapath

International Captain
went for sachin. though ponting is pushing him close, more than even greg chappell, i chose sachin because he had to play the great mcgrath and warne also apart from the other great bowlers of the era.