• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Murali destroyed Lillee's old record

JBH001

International Regular
I dont know.

Do you mean wickets in a calendar year?
I would not have a clue, though it would be interesting if it is.

Cricinfo says that Murali has taken his 5th 10 for in his 6th match, and his 9th 5 - fer this year. Not to mention finally taking a 10 fer against all test playing nations.

Therefore, from recollection, he now has 110 tests, over 670 wickets, 57 5 fers and 19 10 fers. Amazing.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Doesn't Warne hold the record for most test wickets in a calendar year? 96 last year?

Played more tests than Murali this year though.

Last edited:

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Jono said:
Doesn't Warne hold the record for most tests in a calendar year? 96 last year?

Yep, Warney got the record last year, and Murali doesn't have another Test this year to go for the record himself.

Still, 90 wickets in 11 Tests is a phenomenal year.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Australia have actually only played 9 this year - Boxing day will make 10. And as far as I know we'll play even less in 2007, particularly if the scheduled Zimbabwe tour doesn't go ahead. Test against Zimbabwe are essentially meaningless anyway, but we never play them and it would be nice for pure consistency's sake to get the same average-boosters some other countries get.

ohtani's jacket

State Vice-Captain
Jono said:
Doesn't Warne hold the record for most test wickets in a calendar year? 96 last year?

I meant that Murali smashed Lillee's old record of 85 wickets in 13 Tests. The record Warne broke last year.

It's a shame Sri Lanka aren't playing a third Test against NZ. He could've got to a 100.

ColdSnow

School Boy/Girl Captain
Wow and I thought Warne was great last year with his 96 wickets in 15 tests. Murali could have so easily broken the record.