• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

most boring batsman in history to watch

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
How does that make any sense?

I repeat: How can it be a myth if i's purely down to opinion?

Let's take a trip to Dr Wizard's Laboratory. The definition of the word "myth" as used here indicates a "commonly-held false notion". It is therefore a "commonly-held false notion" that Geoff Boycott was always boring. The fact that it is my opinion and other opinions might differ doesn't mean that it can't be a myth.:cool:

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Let's take a trip to Dr Wizard's Laboratory. The definition of the word "myth" as used here indicates a "commonly-held false notion". It is therefore a "commonly-held false notion" that Geoff Boycott was always boring.
But the commonly-held notion is a common opinion. In that various different people consider him boring for undoubtedly various different reasons. Therefore by stating that it is a myth that he is boring, you are basically saying that the opinion of others is wrong. And you really aren't in any position to say so. You can disagree with it, but to call it myth is a bit erroneous.

The most defensive batsman in the world can be a treat for someone to watch. Both Rich and I love to watch Ganga bat.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Basically, he's saying that peoples opinions are influenced by a myth, which isn't their fault, which was what I was trying to get at.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Basically, he's saying that peoples opinions are influenced by a myth, which isn't their fault, which was what I was trying to get at.
What myth though? It's an opinion! Is the myth that Geoff Boycott's lengthy vigil was boring? Because that can't possibly a myth if it's based on individual opinion. Doesn't matter what Lillian thinks of the innings, Average Joe is still entitled to call it boring. Therefore it's impossible for it to be a myth or based on a myth or influenced by a myth. :mellow:

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
But the commonly-held notion is a common opinion. In that various different people consider him boring for undoubtedly various different reasons. Therefore by stating that it is a myth that he is boring, you are basically saying that the opinion of others is wrong. And you really aren't in any position to say so. You can disagree with it, but to call it myth is a bit erroneous.

The most defensive batsman in the world can be a treat for someone to watch. Both Rich and I love to watch Ganga bat.

If this is wind up, it's a fairly feeble one, if you're really that stupid then that's cool as well.:cool: I'm off for a couple of hours sleep before the last rites of the Test series.:cool:

Night all.:sleep:

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Originally Posted by Mr Mxyzptlk
And yet he typically scores faster than Slater, Strauss and Gibbs.

Exactly. I don't care how fast he scores - he's got no style - and thus, I'm not interested.
There's a multiquote option ya know.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
That a player, considered boring, scores slower than a player considered quite the opposite.

How are you not getting this?
I'm guessing you meant 'scores faster' there.
Anyway, I don't find it ironic at all as I don't think scoring rate matters for a lot of people when saying who is (or isn't) boring to watch. I get your point - it seems like you're saying that generally people consider the faster scorers as more exciting. I just don't agree with that and thus don't find it ironic.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Wow.

Un.

Believable.
Well that certainly put me in my place.:sleep: Good thing I went to bed when I did or I would have been reeling all night from that put down.:sleep: Over 25,000 posts had been leading to that moment.:sleep:

Anyway where was I? Oh yes.

It's a myth that Geoff Boycott was always boring to watch. It's true he was once dropped after making 246* in eleven hours against India in the late 60's. If any of the current crop were capable of batting for that long they would be given a ten year contract and access to the Chairman's wife.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Well that certainly put me in my place.:sleep: Good thing I went to bed when I did or I would have been reeling all night from that put down.:sleep: Over 25,000 posts had been leading to that moment.:sleep:

Anyway where was I? Oh yes.

It's a myth that Geoff Boycott was always boring to watch. It's true he was once dropped after making 246* in eleven hours against India in the late 60's. If any of the current crop were capable of batting for that long they would be given a ten year contract and access to the Chairman's wife.
Ok.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
DCC_legend said:
Mohammed yousuf can be quite boring at times!
Good call actually. Never liked watching him bat at all. Which is why I am somewhat dissapointed that he has become such a good player - he's in for far too long which detracts from my cricket viewing experience. :p