• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your team's best fielding XI (yet most feasible)

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
When the South Africans returned to international cricket, they surprised everyone by their high fielding standards, which were consistent throughout their team. A direct-hit run-out by Jonty Rhodes set the tone, as they emerged a new power in world cricket. The Sri Lankans, in the late 90's, were an average bowling unit and slightly-better-than-average with the bat, but their fielding won them many a match. The present Australian team has set very high standards as a fielding unit, winning tournament after tournament. The fielding has made their bowling attack more penetrative than it was otherwise.

Now it's your turn to dig deep into your team's reserves and put together your team's best fielding XI. While some may end up putting bits-and-pieces players who are excellent fielders, this should be your most feasible XI. Not individuals, but a whole team that fields well.

EDIT: Please specify if this is a current or an all-time XI.

Last edited:

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Arjun said:
When the South Africans returned to international cricket, they surprised everyone by their high fielding standards, which were consistent throughout their team. A direct-hit run-out by Jonty Rhodes set the tone, as they emerged a new power in world cricket. The Sri Lankans, in the late 90's, were an average bowling unit and slightly-better-than-average with the bat, but their fielding won them many a match. The present Australian team has set very high standards as a fielding unit, winning tournament after tournament. The fielding has made their bowling attack more penetrative than it was otherwise.

Now it's your turn to dig deep into your team's reserves and put together your team's best fielding XI. While some may end up putting bits-and-pieces players who are excellent fielders, this should be your most feasible XI. Not individuals, but a whole team that fields well.

I think you should have included your own XI first though.:unsure:

Cameron-Moss

U19 12th Man
Lillian Thomson said:
They don't have to be any good, there aren't 6 good batsman in England but we still throw a team together.:)

Lol, Erm... Strauss (Sometimes) Pietersen (Test Cricket) Tresco (When he isn't visiting the Mental Asylum) Flintoff (Only in last years ashes) Collingwood (All the time) Bell (Sometimes)

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
Cameron-Moss said:
Lol, Erm... Strauss (Sometimes) Pietersen (Test Cricket) Tresco (When he isn't visiting the Mental Asylum) Flintoff (Only in last years ashes) Collingwood (All the time) Bell (Sometimes)
Someone's going to be taught a lesson from Phoenix...

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Yeah, just give it a rest mate. It's really not funny at all. You wouldn't ever take the piss out of someone if they had cancer or a tumour would you? Depression is an illness just like anything else, even it is a problem withe the mind. The press really have been shocking towards Banger, and I do feel really sorry for me him, with all the press delving into his private life.

archie mac

International Coach
Aust
Warren Bardsley (out field)
Sid Gregory (covers/ mid off)
Bradman (out field when young)
Neil Harvey (covers)
Mark Waugh (slips)
Chipperfield (slips)
Benaud (gully)
Davidson (mid wicket/point)
Tallon (WK)
Hugh Trumble (slips)
Thomson (fine leg)

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
archie mac said:
Aust
Warren Bardsley (out field)
Sid Gregory (covers/ mid off)
Bradman (out field when young)
Neil Harvey (covers)
Mark Waugh (slips)
Chipperfield (slips)
Benaud (gully)
Davidson (mid wicket/point)
Tallon (WK)
Hugh Trumble (slips)
Thomson (fine leg)
Archie... if you don't mind me asking... how old are you? :laugh: Cuz' your knowledge on old retired cricketers is quite commendable.

archie mac

International Coach
Turbinator said:
Archie... if you don't mind me asking... how old are you? :laugh: Cuz' your knowledge on old retired cricketers is quite commendable.
Younger then the Waugh boys:)

I am going to try and make some real knowledgeable posts too give myself a chance of winning the battle of the CC posters :ph34r:

Did I ever mention I can name every Aust Test cricket captain since 1877 off by heart:laugh:

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Cameron-Moss said:
Only one of them is in England :ph34r:

adharcric

International Coach
India Test Fielding XI

Akash Chopra (world-class at short leg, solid in the off-side cordon)
Gautam Gambhir (sharp close-in/cover fielder)
Rahul Dravid* (world-class 1st slip)
Sachin Tendulkar (underrated fielder in the slips, mid-on or mid-off)
VVS Laxman (quality slipper)
Yuvraj Singh (world-class at point and handy close-in fielder)
Dinesh Karthik+ (very athletic, excellent with the gloves)
Irfan Pathan (one of few Indians with a good arm in the outfield)
Piyush Chawla (he's from UP and he's solid in the field)
Ajit Agarkar (top outfielder for many years now)
RP Singh (another great fielder (from UP) ... unlike most Indian bowlers)

This is for tests only and I've limited it to guys who have a case for national selection. Hence, Laxman is a good (not bad fielder) and there is no place for the likes of Raina and Kaif.

Last edited:

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Bob Simpson (slip)
Warren Bardsley (outfield)
Don Bradman (mid on/off)
Ricky Ponting (mid wicket)
Neil Harvey (covers)
Mark Waugh (slip)
Keith Miller (anywhere)
Richie Benaud (gully)
Alan Davidson (point)
Jack Blackham (wk)
Brett Lee (deep fine leg)

With Doug Walters, Clem Hill, Norman O'Neil, Jack Gregory, Mark Taylor, Ashley Mallett and Thommo all knocking on the door.