• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How to pronounce player names?

James

Cricket Web Owner
Another feature added to Cricket Web I thought I'd mention directly in the forums.

All the Asian players (India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka) have had sound files added to their profiles so visitors can hear how a particular players name is correctly pronounced.

Here's an example - Sanath Jayasuriya

The other Test nations will have sound files added over time :)

James

Cricket Web Owner
I'll thank Gavin Larsen for this feature, after he kept on saying Yavraj Singh which really got to me :D

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Excellent new feature James, I'm usually pretty good at pronouncing names and it really annoys me when I hear commentators getting in right. Top notch work mate.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Seems a good idea, and I haven't listened to it yet but I'm just wondering on accents. If you do the voice clips, say, I'd assume you have a Kiwi accent and that could manipulate the way people hear it?

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Doesn't just stand for James, everyone has some form of accent and could throw off the pronounciation. Maybe only having people from the country of origin of the player is the way to go.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
dontcloseyoureyes said:
Maybe only having people from the country of origin of the player is the way to go.
Pretty sure that's what's going to happen.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Unless Billy Birmingham is providing the pronounciations as either Benaud, Greig or Lawry, it won't ever be as good as it could be! ;)

Otherwise, great idea, well done.

James

Cricket Web Owner
If anyone has an interest in providing their voice to record sound clips, let me know :)

Looking for someone from:

Australia, England, New Zealand, South Africa, West Indies, Zimbabwe