• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Pakistan in South Africa

Fusion

Global Moderator
I know. Thinking about getting Directv in a few months, but don't know if I can afford both :(
Well that's an interesting thought. Maybe they do a "free trail" period or something? If so, I can order it for the free trial, and then cancel it after the series is over.

I'm just glad that at least Dish Network is showing the WC.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
LOL. What are the chances Shoaib plays during the first test?
Unlikely considering his match fitness (and he doesn't fly out till tomorrow), realistically the second and third test matches seem the most likely but you never with Shoaib or Pakistan for that matter. Can't wait to see him in action though. Suddenly the series with the inclusion of Asif and Shoaib has far more importance than it did a couple weeks back when both were banned. Great test for the South Africans now.

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Yup, if Pakistan can beat SA in SA, something like 2-0 or 2-1, then Pakistan would be tied with England as the second best team in the world, with England having maybe only a slight edge.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Lot of conflicting reports flying around at the moment, communications director Ehsan Malik has said that Umar Gul has definitely been ruled out. Bob Woolmer differs, stating that Gul's fitness will be fully assessed on Wednesday and that his problem yesterday was only a slight worry. And finally Saleem Altaf has said that Gul will undergo tests tomorrow not Wednesday. So **** knows what really is going on.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Yup, if Pakistan can beat SA in SA, something like 2-0 or 2-1, then Pakistan would be tied with England as the second best team in the world, with England having maybe only a slight edge.
We should be WI fairly easily though, that should give us an advantage.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Are we talking about the Test Championship here?
No by the logic that any remotely decent test side at home should be the West Indies. Implying that such a victory has no real value or weight in deciphering who the second best test nation is. Whilst winning in South Africa does carry significant weight considering only two teams since readmission have won there.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
*SHRUG*. Its the tribunal that let them go. The outrage should be directed towards them. The players did something wrong by taking drugs, but not their fault that they weren't banned. Thats like holding a permanant grudge against Warne.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
On another note, Asif's figures aren't all that good in the warmup game. How did he bowl? Any problems? I have him pegged to run through the SA lineup, I hope he can continue his previous good form in Tests.

shortpitched713

International Captain
Hope the injury with Gul isn't too serious. Hes the only one of our good pace bowlers who has played internationals in a while, and if he misses more than one Test it could be a big setback to his career with so many other fast bowlers in contention.

The whole Shoaib thing is hilarious too. Hes been playing domestic cricket for a while now, and before the tour they said he wasn't match fit. Now in a couple days time they select him as "cover" for Gul. Why would you select someone you didn't even consider match fit a few days ago as cover for an injured player? If you consider him match fit, how the hell has he been able to prove that during the last few days, when he couldn't prove that in his domestic stint? Also, if Gul is considered fit to play in the first Test, then will they play Shoaib? If hes match-fit, theres no excuse for not doing so. This is all such a ridicululous farce.

Also, I don't quite undertand why Pakistan haven't brought in any batsmen or allrounders in, considering they've just lost their best batsman and their only allrounder on this tour. I would think that this would be the perfect time to bring in Afridi to replace Malik. If he can score in this situation in difficult conditions, and with a considerable amount of pressure on him, I would think that he would be capable to play for Pakistan at this level. If he struggles, then it might be a good indication that he doesn't have what it takes to be successful in this form of the game.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
*SHRUG*. Its the tribunal that let them go. The outrage should be directed towards them. The players did something wrong by taking drugs, but not their fault that they weren't banned. Thats like holding a permanant grudge against Warne.
The PCB let them go and the Pakistan players and management are happy to allow these proven cheats to play. They all share some blame. Warne didn't play international cricket when he was banned so mentioning him is an irrelevance.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Um, so if ACB had let Warne go, do you think Ponting would have been "Sorry mate, you can't play with us anymore?"
Fact is it never happened and Warne sat out for a year.

These 2 should not be near a cricket field and the fact they have not been punished means they are fair game.

Not only did they cheat they got away with it.