• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Pakistan in South Africa

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Trinidad and Tobago sprinter Ato Boldon was offered performance enhancing drugs by the same company that supplied Tim Montgomery. He was always the bridesmaid and never the bride throughout his career - 4 Olympic medals and no gold (3 bronze and a silver) - and yet he never took drugs. He was constantly belitted and criticized for never winning gold. No drugs. More Olympic medals than any male Caribbean sprinter, mind. In fact, only two other men have as many Olympic sprint medals (individual).

If professional athletes with so much to gain can resist the temptation, I'd wager integrity isn't as sparse as you imply.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Trinidad and Tobago sprinter Ato Boldon was offered performance enhancing drugs by the same company that supplied Tim Montgomery. He was always the bridesmaid and never the bride throughout his career - 4 Olympic medals and no gold (3 bronze and a silver) - and yet he never took drugs. He was constantly belitted and criticized for never winning gold. No drugs. If professional athletes with so much to gain can resist the temptation, I'd wager integrity isn't as sparse as you imply.
I am not sure thats true. How much of that is because he didn't want to get caught? If I was offered Nandrolone, I'd throw it back in their face. If I was offered a new drug that I knew was extremely difficult to test for?

EDIT: You might be right and he could be the rare breed who put the spirit of the sport before his personal career, I have no idea. Just saying what I would be thinking.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
It would be interesting to note how many of us would jump at the chance to do an undetectable drug like HGH if it meant improving your game enough to get a national selection and earn millions vs. staying in mediocrity. We may huff and puff about it now, but I wonder how many of us would give in to that temptation.
I would hope few to none.

Mr Mxyzptlk

I wouldn't care if it meant us winning a championship. That does not mean that he shouldn't be banned. Its not justifying, its putting it on level with saying you caught the ball cleanly when you didn't.
Which is also wrong. Whether or not you get caught, it's wrong.

Mr Mxyzptlk

I am not sure thats true. How much of that is because he didn't want to get caught? If I was offered Nandrolone, I'd throw it back in their face. If I was offered a new drug that I knew was extremely difficult to test for?
One word. Integrity.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Yes, it is. I am not sure what we're arguing about here. Never said it was not.
I'm arguing that it's pathetic that such a thing would be defended and up to now I can't see how you weren't defending it in your initial post. I'm not saying that you're saying it's right. I'm saying that you're saying you would endorse something wrong.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I'm arguing that it's pathetic that such a thing would be defended and up to now I can't see how you weren't defending it in your initial post. I'm not saying that you're saying it's right. I'm saying that you're saying you would endorse something wrong.
I am not endorsing it, I am saying it is understandable why an international athlete would do such a thing, just like I understand why someone would tamper with a ball or claim a catch and things like that. They want to win and they want to do well personally.

That does not mean that any of those things should be allowed, for the fairness of the game.

Mr Mxyzptlk

I am not endorsing it
In any case, maybe I'm taking an American view of this, but its just steroids, who cares? If they had taken HGH, no one would have been able to test them. I'd inject HGH by the ton if I thought it would help me become an international bowler, or if it would extend my career.

Initially, I was angry and had my best holier than thou attitude on against Asif and Akhtar. But then I thought to myself, "If Brian Westbrook was on HGH and helped us win a Super Bowl this season, what would I say?"

"Good man!", that's what.
..?

I rest my case.

shortpitched713

International Captain
Were all missing the bigger picture here. Shoaib and Asif have been punished. They have been unable to play cricket from early October to early December. Thats two whole months of cricket that they have been unable to participate in and that has included two international tours. More than enough punishment, IMO. :ph34r:

shortpitched713

International Captain
I admitted that I would cheat if it meant it was the difference between playing at the highest level (and making money, having fame, etc) and not. But I'd deserve to get banned, too.
Your morals (or lack thereof) are totally reprehensible. Its people like you that find it impossible to be productive members of society, and it is your kind that is bringing about the downfall of western civilization as we know it, tbh.

adharcric

International Coach
The notion that a few in here seem to hold that the use of steroids in cricket is a moral crisis of gargantuan proportions is outrageous. The common man uses coffee, supplements, tonics and even steroids as a source of increased energy and enhanced physical vitality. Why shouldn't athletes do the same? Because the introduction of such foreign elements taints the very basis of sport: competition. That's all.
Paul Wolpe said:
Sports is a set of rules about performance, within which people operate in order to compete. Sports can decide to allow enhancements or not.
That sums it up quite well IMO. For that reason, a punishment of some sort is certainly necessary ... but please, throw that holier-than-thou moral trash out the window.

Last edited:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
The notion that a few in here seem to hold that the use of steroids in cricket is a moral crisis of gargantuan proportions is outrageous. The common man uses coffee, supplements, tonics and even steroids as a source of increased energy and enhanced physical vitality. Why shouldn't athletes do the same? Because the introduction of such foreign elements taints the very basis of sport: competition. That's all.

That sums it up quite well IMO. For that reason, a punishment of some sort is certainly necessary ... but please, throw that holier-than-thou moral trash out the window.
No, cheating is outrageous and steroid taking is cheaing and a serious form as it requires long term planning and actions. Once you can make a justification for it in your mind, like you did above, then you are 1/2 way there to complete acceptance. That, to me, is dangerous. If people can find a way to justify cheating then cheating becomes impossible to police. No longer are people embassassed and ashamed, but they think they are doing nothing wrong. That mindset in an athlete worries me

Steroid takers (if they gain an advantage) take jobs ahead of others and are the nasty types that not only disrespect and cheat the game but also their fellow professionals, and union members.

Selfish filth

Last edited:

adharcric

International Coach
No, cheating is outrageous and steroid taking is cheaing and a serious form as it requires long term planning and actions. Once you can make a justification for it in .

Steroid takers (if they gain an advantage) take jobs ahead of others and are the nasty types that not only disrespect and cheat the game but also their fellow professionals, and union members.

Selfish filth
I am not justfying it. Taking steroids is a terrible thing for an athlete to do. All I'm saying is that the common man does these same things and it's only bad for an athlete because it goes against the essence of sport. Definitely is cheating with respect to sport. My point is that taking steroids is wrong for an athlete but there shouldn't be such a morality issue here IMO, though that is probably another way of looking at it I guess. Taking steroids is bad simply because it taints the competition, which is the basis of sport.

Last edited:

Dravid

International Captain
A big loss for Pakistan that Yousuf won't play in the first test. Best wishes to him and his wife.

I seriously hope Akthar and Asif are stepped on by the batsman and get hit for hundreds of runs and don't pick up a single wicket and their career is ruined.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Were all missing the bigger picture here. Shoaib and Asif have been punished. They have been unable to play cricket from early October to early December. Thats two whole months of cricket that they have been unable to participate in and that has included two international tours. More than enough punishment, IMO. :ph34r:
Two months? Don't make me laugh.. Two years and you may be talking