• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Pakistan in South Africa

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
giving Afridi the VC migh tpossibly make him amore responsible player.
This is the same guy who danced on a pitch, the same guy who almost hit a fan with a bat a few days ago... and the same guy who has been this way for a decade now.

I like watching Afridi, and I know you're a big fan of his, but he shouldn't be anywhere near a leadership role.

Fusion

Global Moderator
So who do you believe is a suitable captain ? A batsman , bowler , handsome man , one with fearsome pace or a one who portrays in the field as if he is doing a lot by jumping here and there and also the one who disrespects the honour of captaincy by being a Diana king in the media ? Or do you think that on the basis of his batting style ,Afridi should never be given a chance or you think that a captain should be a responsible person who gives whatever he has every now and then or a one who has had collisions with the fastest in the world ,the current captain , and with Afridi himself ? Who Fusion who ?
I already told you that Younis would be a suitable captain IMO. He's not perfect, but his captaincy skills are more than just "jumping here and there". You're right that it was idiotic on his part to resign the captaincy, no matter how disrespected he felt.

Again, you haven't answered what would make Afridi a good captain? His impeccable record with discipline? The responsible batting? His outstanding Test record?

deeps

International 12th Man
an average of 37.40 is quite handy

35 with the ball is also quite handy.

Flintoff:

TEST batting average: 32.50
TEST Bowling average: 32.02

Afridi has the better batting average, Flintoff the better bowling average... But both are similar and comparable.

So flintoff is considered 'brilliant' and afridi crap?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
an average of 37.40 is quite handy

35 with the ball is also quite handy.

Flintoff:

TEST batting average: 32.50
TEST Bowling average: 32.02

Afridi has the better batting average, Flintoff the better bowling average... But both are similar and comparable.

So flintoff is considered 'brilliant' and afridi crap?
Afridi's test average with the bat flatters him greatly really, hence him not being in the side..

Fiery

Banned
How on earth did Younis Khan get MOM? Another guy scores a century and yet another one scores a 35 ball 77 and takes 3 wickets and Khan scores 93 and gets MOM ?? I see he took 3 catches and I didn't watch the game but just curious as to how they worked that one out. Can anyone enlighten me?

Last edited:

shortpitched713

International Captain
If an average of 37.40 with the bat is "outstanding", then I suppose I have a different view of what outstanding means.
Afridi's test average with the bat flatters him greatly really, hence him not being in the side..
Afridi has good Test averages for an allrounder. Of course they flatter him in that form of the game but I was just countering the automatic assumption that he has a crap Test record, which is clearly not the case.

haroon510

International 12th Man
afridi or yousuf should have been man of the match. also i have always wanted afridi to play in test matches . but he himself perfer one day matches over test matches and we can give his short retirment from test cricket last year as an example of his ond day cricket perferance. .

next match anjum should be given a chance in place of rana.

pasag

RTDAS
How on earth did Younis Khan get MOM? Another guy scores a century and yet another one scores a 35 ball 77 and takes 3 wickets and Khan scores 93 and gets MOM ?? I see he took 3 catches and I didn't watch the game but just curious as to how they worked that one out. Can anyone enlighten me?
One could argue that Khan's fine innings set up the match for Afridi to come out smashing. That said, I think Yousuf should have got it. Not really a big deal though, the award doesn't mean that much these days anyways.

Last edited:

Xuhaib

International Coach
Afridi potential captain candidate? Wow, worst post ever.
During the recently played Domestic 20/20 his field placement, bowling changes and player management were outstanding.

Easily the best captain on show and that included the likes of Younis, Yousuf and Malik

pasag

RTDAS
During the recently played Domestic 20/20 his field placement, bowling changes and player management were outstanding.

Easily the best captain on show and that included the likes of Younis, Yousuf and Malik
Same thing with Warne though, however they aren't appropriate captaincy material.

deeps

International 12th Man
bullcrap, he was dropped because his form towards the end was pathetic. His record till then was and still is good. He doesnt have a large number of not outs, or even large 100's to inflate his average.

He has played enough tests, enough innings, to have a 'real' test average.

Just because you are so biased against him, that you can't bring yourself to see the reality.

The few ways averages are inflated:

Large number of not outs.
Not enough innings
some Giant scores to counteract the smaller ones

Thats' about it.. Afridi has none of those three characteristics

Can you tell me HOW his average flatters him?

Simple fact of the matter, he was out of form, hence he was dropepd... No, not out of form. WOEFULLY out of form with both bat and ball...

deeps

International 12th Man
Same thing with Warne though, however they aren't appropriate captaincy material.
That's fair enough, i respect that...But to go and say "wow, worst post ever' is takin it too far

He does have his positives about being captain, and one major one would be his aggression and confidence.

I don't think he should ,but it's not something that should be scoffed at.

There's a severe lack of respect for Afridi on these forums, and they severely under rate him. Just because he's attacking, and does make a couple of low scores on the trot, doesn't mean that he's a useless player.

He wastes his talent, yes... But he's played in excess of 230+ ODI's at 26 years of age... He's doing better than most

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
He wasn't out of form - he was simply performing to his true standard as a batsman after a flattering start where bowlers hadn't worked him out yet.

And how exactly am I biased against a player? If everyone who doesn't think a player is very good is biased against them when rating how good they are, then no-one can ever say a player isn't very good - as that would prove they are biased against them!

Averages can also be inflated by batsmen playing on a lot of flat pitches, or being selected in purple patches of form and then being dropped before their true standard takes over their average. It could be argued to say Afridi was beneficial of the former but I won't actually go there because it's too dubious - but he definitely benefitted from the latter.

deeps

International 12th Man
He wasnt out of form??? He was batting to his true standard?

What a load of bs... how is that not biased?

Seriously... A flattering start, would be something like 3 or 4 tests... if you're lucky, maybe 5 tests.

But after 26 tests, against opponents like:

Australia
India
Sri Lanka
England
West Indies
New Zealand

Infact, he hasnt played a test against a minnow side...further to add to his 'not inflated' average.

Even when he was out of form, it appears he wasn't all that out of form.

Three tests against he didnt perform: scores of 14,17,15,17. and only a wicket in each innnigs.

He was scoring 50's and hundred's consistently before that:

http://statserver.cricket.org/guru?...edhigh=;csearch=;submit=1;.cgifields=viewtype

Two hundreds in consecutive tests, and a 92 in the test match before...