• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Spinner for 1946-2006 World Test XI

Spinner for 1946-2006 World Test XI

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

aussie tragic

International Captain
The selected Spinners from the 1946-65, 1966-85 and 1986-05 teams are now up for selection in the 1946-2006 World Test XI:

Jim Laker (Eng): 46 tests, 193 wkts @ 21.24 (9/3), SR 62.3, Econ 2.04, BB 10-53 --- 676 runs @ 14.08
Mutthiah Muralitharan (SL): 109 tests, 664 wkts @ 21.88 (56/18), SR 54.8, Econ 2.39, BB 9-51 --- 1117 runs @ 12.01
Derek Underwood (Eng): 86 tests, 297 wkts @ 25.83 (17/6), SR 73.6, Econ 2.10, BB 8-51 --- 937 runs @ 11.56
Shane Warne (Aus): 142 tests, 694 wkts @ 25.44 (36/10), SR 57.6, Econ 2.64, BB 8-71 --- 3018 runs @ 16.76

Btw, all runner-ups will go into the “Final Bowler” poll, so relax :)

The 1946-2006 World Test XI so far:

1. Sunil Gavaskar (51.12)
2. Len Hutton (54.62)
3. Viv Richards (50.23) – Poll still running
7. Adam Gilchrist (48.48) – Poll still running

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Warney for me. A better batting and perhaps a captaincy option too. Also, why aren't we going in order (1-11)?

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Tough one between Laker, Muralitharan and Warne. I'm gonna accept that Laker just wasn't as good as those two, Muralitharan for me.

aussie tragic

International Captain
I rate them as (1) Laker, (2) Warne, (3) Murali and >>>>> (4) Underwood.

Just can't bring myself to not vote Warne yet.....

Last edited:

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Underwood wasn't really that far off. One of the few finger spinners who could cope with really flat wickets.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Not that Laker wasn't one of the top five spinners ever, but IMO Warne and Murali are head and shoulders above.

shortpitched713

International Captain
andmark said:
As a spinner you would have to be lieing if you said you are never inspired be Warnie.
Yeah, I always wish I was Warnie so I could score as many chicks as him.

Oh, we're talking about him as a spinner.

archie mac

International Coach
Not sure which team this one will play, if it is Mars, and we have unbiased umpires from Venus they may not have a high degree of tolerance so I decided to play it safe and take Warne

shankar

International Debutant
archie mac said:
Not sure which team this one will play, if it is Mars, and we have unbiased umpires from Venus they may not have a high degree of tolerance so I decided to play it safe and take Warne
But if we manage to get those umpires with awesome eyesight from Jupiter we needn't worry about that and pick the better spinner in Murali :p

Matt79

Global Moderator
Warne for me. Expect this to stay civil for about three second after it becomes clear to either Murali or Warne's fan base that they aren't going to get up.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Shane Warne for me, the runner up will probably get in as the final bowler anyway.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I voted for Deadly Derek, of course he's not going to win, nor should he, but Murali and Warne are such a right pair of old bookends. (I bet now you'll all be stealing that phrase and claiming it as your own.:))