• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Kumar Sangakkara and Adam Gilchrist

adharcric

International Coach
aussie said:
well from what i've seen i don't think thats true, for example in the 2004 series between AUS/SRI when both Murali & Warne had pitches that assisted them superbly, both Gilly & Sanga handled them extremely well.
How does that tell you anything about how hard it is to keep to Murali?

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
On pitches that assit them greatly as was the case in Sri Lanka that year, both have them have great variety & thus it would have been difficult for both Gilly & Sanga. So if keeping to Murali or Warne was harder, either keeper would have had problems when they let go their full repertoire..

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
But how does both keepers keeping well to the respective spinner tell you anything about raelative difficulty of keeping to the 2 spinners?

adharcric

International Coach
Exactly. Sangakarra may have kept better and that may have covered up the difficulty of keeping to Murali. Not saying that's what happened, but your reasoning is flawed.

JBH001

International Regular
True, though it is an interesting question as to who would be mroe difficult to keep to, especially if you add Malinga and maybe Vaas (standing up) into the mix.

Incidentally, something else about Sanga batting at #3 is that he gets to face the new ball a lot more often again fresh pacers than Gilly does.

adharcric

International Coach
kwigibo said:
I think you're taking this out of context. Excepting average and country, do you think these stats have anything to do with position in the batting order? Coming after what has usually been 6 very competent and prolific batsman, do you expect one to feature in record partnerships or score hundreds at a higher frequency. An excellent player like Sangakkara in a lesser team batting in the top 5 should score more hundreds and hit more runs per match etc., I don't think that speaks to the two players' relative value.
That's the biggest load of BS I've ever heard. Sangakarra faces better bowlers when the ball is doing more.
Sangakarra doesn't have teammates who reduce the pressure by rotating the strike and dominating the bowlers.
Gilchrist definitely has it easier.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Gilchrist does have it easier down the order. What he has also been lucky to have is someone else up the other end making runs a lot of the time - I'd hazard a guess that there haven't been many occassions where Gilchrist has been the only century-maker in an innings. That comes with the territory of batting @ 7 though, and it's also probably cost his wicket a few times too.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
adharcric said:
Exactly. Sangakarra may have kept better and that may have covered up the difficulty of keeping to Murali. Not saying that's what happened, but your reasoning is flawed.
So is your's, but fair enough overall..