• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Where does Hayden sit amongst Australia's slip/gully fieldsmen?

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
IMO he has to be up there in the top 5 of all time. It is a part of his game that usually goes under the radar and is taken for granted. He can field from 1st slip around to gully for the quicks and slots in to 1st slip for Warne. I can't remember the last time he dropped a catch and he has taken some beauties.

One of the best.

Perm

Very highly I would think, mainly due to his versatility. As you said his fielding to Warne at 1st slip is top rate and also in the gully to the quick bowlers is very good. Definately right up there with the top cordon fielders.

burr

State Vice-Captain
Yes Hayden's catching is highly impressive and is a bit underrated I feel. He's far better than Warne (who is not a great slipper despite what some say) and if he wasn't such a superb gully fieldsman he'd be great at first slip.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
yeah, I remember a couple of stunners he took to dismiss Lara last season in Australia. Given the way Lara looked while he was at the crease, I tend to think that Hayden's catching played a not so insignificant part in Australia winning that series with that much ease.

Def. the best gully fielder in the world, for me. And what is surprising for such a big man is that he really does get low down very well to be able to catch some really tricky ones. That is another hole that will need to be filled when he calls it a day, I think.

Perm

honestbharani said:
Def. the best gully fielder in the world, for me. And what is surprising for such a big man is that he really does get low down very well to be able to catch some really tricky ones. That is another hole that will need to be filled when he calls it a day, I think.
Not just him either, Justin Langer is pretty solid around the same area's and when those two and Shane Warne retire the cordon could be pretty fresh but would most likely be Ponting, Hussey and Clarke.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
all true, his contribution there is very under-rated. I'd rate him third behind Taylor & Junior Waugh as top behind the wicket fieldsmen.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
honestbharani said:
doesn't Langer field at short leg mostly?
Used to most of time, but he was advised not to field there anymore for reasons i can't remember. Usually he is around 3rd slip early on then later anywhere else in the outfield.

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
Constantly getting hit in the head would be the reason I think. Hayden probably sits just behind Bob Simpson in the list of great slippers for Australia.

Mister Wright

aussie said:
Used to most of time, but he was advised not to field there anymore for reasons i can't remember. Usually he is around 3rd slip early on then later anywhere else in the outfield.
Langer was told by doctors if he gets hit on the head again he could be in danger of losing his life. He's been hit at short leg a fair few times.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Bob Simpson, Mark Taylor, Shane Warne, Ricky Poning and Matthew Hayden are Aussies best ever slippers imo, in no order really.