• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

3 Test Ashes series??????

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Originally posted by Rik
England Vs. Australia...there is much more to this contest than cricket, also the Australians are distant relations of the English and love nothing better than beating them. Also its not such a bad contest at the moment is it?
Oh, I totally agree about the history. The series has a great and colorful history and true, it isn't a bad contest at all at the moment.

I was objecting to the term, the premier series in the cricket world.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Originally posted by anilramavarma
Originally posted by Rik
England Vs. Australia...there is much more to this contest than cricket, also the Australians are distant relations of the English and love nothing better than beating them. Also its not such a bad contest at the moment is it?
Oh, I totally agree about the history. The series has a great and colorful history and true, it isn't a bad contest at all at the moment.

I was objecting to the term, the premier series in the cricket world.
Well it is one of the premier series, India and South Africa are the other teams which could be referred to as being "Premier" teams with NZ and Sri Lanka just behind. WIndies are only just above Zimbabwe and Bangladesh are rock bottom in my opinion.

[Edited on 8/11/2002 by Rik]

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Whose imagination does it capture now, other than an Englishman's or an Aussies'? For the others, it is just another series, buddy.
Could you claim that any series regularly does this. There are the "hardcore" amongst us who religiously follow every internation around the world, and those who only follow one nation, then there's not many who only have their attention attracted by other series. The atmosphere of an Ashes contest draws more attention than any other. Like the FA Cup..

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Originally posted by Neil Pickup
Whose imagination does it capture now, other than an Englishman's or an Aussies'? For the others, it is just another series, buddy.
Could you claim that any series regularly does this. There are the "hardcore" amongst us who religiously follow every internation around the world, and those who only follow one nation, then there's not many who only have their attention attracted by other series. The atmosphere of an Ashes contest draws more attention than any other. Like the FA Cup..
Or if your like me you try and follow all the series and suffer from lack of sleep:D

anzac

International Debutant
I can agree to the sentimental / traditional value of 'The Ashes' series as it is looked upon as the demise of English cricket & it's domination over the rest of the world, although it hardly means anything to anyone else as just about anyone has a chance against England over recent years!!!!!!! if the English want to continue to be embarrassed over a 5 match series then it will continue to have a detrimental effect on their game:lol:

as for the WIndies I am curious as to what the reasoning is behind their 5 test status - is it because of their great sides of yester year - if so then on current form it should be revoked!!! :duh:

are there any other series other than Aus V England / WI that has more than 3 tests????? I am aware that there are several variations as to the numbers of tests played in a series, with Zimbabwe (& Bangladesh) often only playing 2 match series - who sets these figures the respective national bodies when drawing up a tour or are there guidelines set out by the governing body?????:ticking:

I actually like the idea of 5 rather than 3 test series as you get a better chance at a result - not like the last Aus V NZ series where 2 out of 3 were severely disrupted by weather). There would be less drawn series as the visiting team has more time to get used to the local conditions, and the final 2 tests should be really competitive.

To off set the extra length of the series you would need to decrease the number of tours per season to avoid injuries and burnout.

one final point - the teams would need to be evenly matched otherwise it becomes a farce and will do more harm to the game than good - unfortunately no one seems capable of staying with the Aussies over a 3 test series let alone 5!!!!:P

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Originally posted by anzac
one final point - the teams would need to be evenly matched otherwise it becomes a farce and will do more harm to the game than good - unfortunately no one seems capable of staying with the Aussies over a 3 test series let alone 5!!!!:P
Except India...of course...:rolleyes:

anzac

International Debutant
yeah but only in India....

if they were going to rate against Australia they would need to push them in Australia, and should have beaten England both Home & Away, let alone against the WIndies currently......

whereas the Aussies more often than not give everyone a hurry up anywhere

:ticking:

Bazza

International 12th Man
Ask someone on the street if they know the England captain, they'll say David Beckham. Ask them who the guy who got injured last week was, they'll say Paul Burrell. Ask them if they know what the Ashes are, they will know.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Originally posted by Bazzaroodoo
Ask someone on the street if they know the England captain, they'll say David Beckham. Ask them who the guy who got injured last week was, they'll say Paul Burrell. Ask them if they know what the Ashes are, they will know.
Paul Burrell? Injured? I don't get that...:yawn:

Bazza

International 12th Man
It was a joke. His reputation has been damaged, his image destroyed. In other words I couldn't think of someone to fit that sentence.:( The point is the Ashes should always be 5 tests. And to the guy who suggested all or at least more series should be 5 tests there is already a supposed problem with overcrowding fixtures and burnout, why would you want to add more? If you only have one tour each year, the ICC test championship becomes a 9 year thing and therefore defunct.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Originally posted by Bazzaroodoo
It was a joke. His reputation has been damaged, his image destroyed. In other words I couldn't think of someone to fit that sentence.:( The point is the Ashes should always be 5 tests. And to the guy who suggested all or at least more series should be 5 tests there is already a supposed problem with overcrowding fixtures and burnout, why would you want to add more? If you only have one tour each year, the ICC test championship becomes a 9 year thing and therefore defunct.
I thought his reputation was enhanced due to his being proven innocent...oh well...lets leave it at that.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Innocent till proven guilty, so his rep shouldn't have changed until he started cashing in on it by going to the press, when it nose-dived.

anzac

International Debutant
I think the current 'Test Championship' format is a farce anyway as the team participating at the end of the period can have no resemblance to the team that began the comp - either in personnel or performance....

what if the same thing happens to Aus as happened to WI - they could still win the comp based upon results to date yet be absolute crap when declared 'champions'.

The only time I'll get really excited about Test rankings is when they get all the teams together every couple of years and play a comp all together at the same time as every other international sport does. Because of the 5 day time frame this would have to be strictly knock out, and the current system could be used to determine current seedings or something....

I'd even go so far as to drop the ICC ODI tourneyment from the calendar as ODI already has it's WCup......

In the mean time 5 test series should be a better competition & better chance for the spectators / viewers to actually see what anyone has to offer - so what if we had to drop the number of tours per year to 1 home & 1 away (presumably during the 'off season' to the other hemisphere), it's still not going to be as demanding as the current non-stop cross country hopping.....

Hey I know it's flawed etc etc - it's just my wishful thinking

:)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I like your ideas to be honest - the one thing I'd add is that the Test Championship is still not complete (needs all played all to work) - and the other joke is that BAN are unranked till they play 10 series, but the points gained against them still count! It means that Aus are quite near to dropping off number 1!

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Originally posted by marc71178

Don't talk about history.
Oh, I totally agree about the history.

Make your mind up please!
OK, there is no contradiction involved. I was answering different questions to different people. You were calling it the premier series and one of the reasons you gave was past history. I objected to that.

Rik's mail came after the 2nd day of the 1st test when England showed some spine and fought back. I agreed that it has a great and colorful history, but I still objected to the term "premier series". Also, I agreed that it wasn't a bad contest right now because it looked like developing into one at that time.

Don't take bits and pieces from 2 separate posts to 2 separate people and come up with "contradictions". My mind is made up, friend. The Ashes was a great series and it has a great history. It ceased to be one about a decade and a half ago after England started crashing and burning against Australia with monotonous regularity.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Rik's mail came after the 2nd day of the 1st test when England showed some spine and fought back.
See Marc...I do speak sense...sometimes ;):D:lol::lol::lol:

anzac

International Debutant
the other obvious flaw with the current rankings system is the different numbers of tests played in a series between nations.

As I understand it the points are awarded regarding the series result, i.e. won / drawn / lost. The number of matches played in the series should not come into consideration otherwise this creates a great imbalance eg a 2 test series V 3 - 5 greatly favours the home team, whereas a 5 test series nullifies this .......

I suppose they are just scared that we would end up with Australia winning too many 'Ashes clone' series.....

:lol::lol::lol: