• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England, Australia, South Africa, Pakistan - Who has the best fast bowling weapons?

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Well out of all the major nations these 4 countries all have top fast bowling stocks, which argue well for the future of the game i think. Without reading to much i would be tempted to say Australia slightly but if i really think about it one can't be too certain. So i had a look:

AUSTRALIA:

McGrath
Lee
Clark
Johnson
Tait
Bracken
Gillespie
Hilfenhaus

ENGLAND:

Harmison
Hoggard
Flintoff
Jones
Mahmood
Anderson
Broad
Tremlett
Lewis

SOUTH AFRICA:

Pollock
Ntini
Steyn
Nel
Langevelt
Hall
Morkel
Hayward
De Wet
Zondeki

PAKISTAN:

Akhtar
Asif
Gul
Naved
Shabbir
Nazir
Rao Iftikhar
Sami

All full of quality, as i said i'm tempted to give Australia a slight edge due to how consistent they have been over the years & the recent introduction of Troy Cooley. But England & South Africa are probably just as good on paper TBH.

Views..

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
OK, lets go through and rate them in regards to Test cricket then...taking into account both career achievements and reasonably recent form, as well as displayed potential.

AUSTRALIA:

McGrath: A-
Lee: B
Clark: B+
Johnson: C
Tait: C-
Bracken: C
Gillespie: D
Hilfenhaus: D+

ENGLAND:

Harmison: B
Hoggard: A
Flintoff: A
Jones: B (injury curtailing his rating a fair bit)
Mahmood: B-
Anderson: C+
Broad: D+
Tremlett: D+
Lewis: C-

SOUTH AFRICA:

Pollock: B+
Ntini: A
Steyn: B
Nel: A-
Langevelt: B
Hall: B
Morkel: Have not seen, shall not rate
Hayward: C-
De Wet: Have not seen, shall not rate
Zondeki: Have not seen, shall not rate

PAKISTAN:

Akhtar: Hmmm, A-
Asif: A-
Gul: B+
Naved: B
Shabbir: ... B
Nazir: C+
Rao Iftikhar: C
Sami: D...+

Disagree, or whatever, with any of them.

oz_fan

International Regular
I think at the moment Australia would have to be number one. However once McGrath they could fall behind both England and South Africa. My rankings at the moment would be:
1. Australia
2. South Africa - very good attack. Ntini is probably the most in form test fast bowler currently and Steyn is a good up and coming bowler who should be around for a while. They've got good support in Nel and Pollock.
3. England - probably the best attack when fully fit. They just don't have good back up fast bowlers when the regulars are injured.
4. Pakistan

adharcric

International Coach
The Aussie pace attack is the most consistent with McGrath and Clark in the ranks. Lee provides some pace and uses the new-ball well, but the back-up is nothing to rave about yet.

The English pace attack is potentially the most dangerous in the world. Hoggard is very reliable and underrated with the new ball, while Flintoff can pry out the best of the best. Harmison is too inconsistent and the back-up for the chronically injured Jones is ordinary.

The South African pace attack is balanced and potent. Ntini is one of the best at the moment, but Pollock is on the decline. Steyn has potential and Nel is usually a handful. With Morkel coming through the ranks, this attack could be lethal in years to come. Right now, they are solid but not spectacular.

The Pakistani pace attack could become the best in the world within a year. Akhtar and Asif are world-class already, while Gul has proven himself quite well in the absence of Akhtar and Asif. There is depth but the quality is only decent.

Right now ... 1) Australia 2) England 3) South Africa 4) Pakistan

Really, any of these attacks could be the best in the world (except for South Africa, perhaps). It's about all the guys being fit and performing together. Only the Australians do that.

Dravid

International Captain
vic_orthdox said:
OK, lets go through and rate them in regards to Test cricket then...taking into account both career achievements and reasonably recent form, as well as displayed potential.

AUSTRALIA:

McGrath: A-
Lee: B
Clark: B+
Johnson: C
Tait: C-
Bracken: C
Gillespie: D
Hilfenhaus: D+

ENGLAND:

SOUTH AFRICA:

Pollock: B+
Ntini: A
Steyn: B
Nel: A-
Langevelt: B
Hall: B
Morkel: Have not seen, shall not rate
Hayward: C-
De Wet: Have not seen, shall not rate
Zondeki: Have not seen, shall not rate

PAKISTAN:

Akhtar: Hmmm, A-
Asif: A-
Gul: B+
Naved: B
Shabbir: ... B
Nazir: C+
Rao Iftikhar: C
Sami: D...+

Disagree, or whatever, with any of them.
McGrath deserves an A+

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
As long as Pigeon is around, it will keep Australia on top, I think. Pakistan look the most promising among the others, simply because they are all capable of reverse swing at pace, well almost all. RSA and England are promising but a lot depends on how the youngsters of these 3 sides develop over the next few years. And also the youngsters of Australia once McGrath calls it a day. But I think we may finally be coming out of that lean trot for pace bowling that was the past few years.

adharcric

International Coach
Agreed. Pace attacks are definitely improving, especially with the emergence of guys like Taylor, Munaf and Malinga in sides that were recently crap in terms of pace bowling.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Australia, simple as that.

Pakistan have decent depth but are more for the future, England don't have as much depth IMO (from what we've seen so far anyway in the past 2 years) but their current main 4 can be deadly on their day.

I reckon SA are second best though.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
At the moment, its obviously Australia, but their dependence on McGrath could spell trouble once he retires. Second best is probably England right now, with Pakistan and South Africa tied at third. In the near future I expect Pakistan to go ahead of RSA and England due to the fact that our domestic structure is still churning out quality seamers. Not sure about RSA, but England's bench strength in this department isn't that impressive.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Pakistan have the chance to be awesome. Akhtar, Asif, Gul and Naved is an awesome front-line attack, with Nazir and some youngsters in reserve.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
vic_orthdox said:
Very generous, Jack.

shortpitched713

International Captain
Hard to make a direct comparison really, as South Africa and England will often go with a 4 man pace attack and Pakistan and Australia usually go with 3.

Out of the top 5 for each team in Tests, I'd rate Australia the best. The other 3 come below in no particular order, and are quickly closing the gap with Australia. Pakistan has four proven pace bowlers that have performed well in Shoaib, Gul, Shabbir, and Asif. I don't see them picking all four, but I have no idea who they'll pick when all are fit. The other teams each have three proven bowlers and multiple x-factors. Steyn looks to have potential, and if he performs then South Africa would probably have the most potent four man pace attack right now with him, Ntini, Pollock, and Nel.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
nightprowler10 said:
England's bench strength in this department isn't that impressive.
Have to disagree here yo, the bench strenght has a lot of potential TBH, behind the big 4, Anderson at his best can be very good at test level as he showed in India early this year, Mahmood has been very inconsistent to date no doubt, but he bowls 90+, just needs that big serious breakthrough IMO, Broad impressed in England early this year, just needs to keep it up in FC cricket & he could be good & last year in CC Tremlett was doing well also.

So potential also England's bench strenght is pretty good as well..

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
SirBloody Idiot said:
Hilfenhaus is ****ing awesome, so Australia for a while now.
bloke seems pretty good no doubt, looking foward to seeing him in action pretty soon..