• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England, Australia, South Africa, Pakistan - Who has the best fast bowling weapons?

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
aussie said:
Have to disagree here yo, the bench strenght has a lot of potential TBH, behind the big 4, Anderson at his best can be very good at test level as he showed in India early this year, Mahmood has been very inconsistent to date no doubt, but he bowls 90+, just needs that big serious breakthrough IMO, Broad impressed in England early this year, just needs to keep it up in FC cricket & he could be good & last year in CC Tremlett was doing well also.

So potential also England's bench strenght is pretty good as well..
Never said they don't have any decent bench strength, I just don't think its impressive enough when compared to the other three nations. Anderson can be very good, and Broad was impressive as well, although Mahmood is the English version of Sami as far as I'm concerned. Actually I take that back, Sami was extremely good in ODIs when he first started.

albo97056

U19 Cricketer
I think ure overating mahmood quite a bit - B- come on whats he done apart from getting carted, and gillespie a d... I think uve overated the whole england attack imho

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
So whats the deal now i reckon. We can replace PAK with IND.

Best first team bowling attack i'm willing to give that to South Africa, while the best depth is a tie with Australia & England.

Opinions??

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Using the smack orthdox method...

South Africa:
Ntini, Steyn, Morne Morkel, Nel, Zondeki, McLaren, du Preez (the last two on "if available" bases) and possibly others in future.

England:
Flintoff, Sidebottom, Simon Jones, Anderson, Tremlett, Kabir Ali, Harmison - we're presuming that someone, somewhere has decided that Hoggard is never going to play again (as seems apparent by the fact that 6-game wonder 30-year-old Australians, Amjad Khan and Sajid Mahmood have been selected ahead of him).

Australia:
Clark, Brett Lee, Johnson, Hilfenhaus, Bollinger, Bracken, Siddle, then whoever else you want (Nannes, Geeves, Magoffin, etc.) - we're presuming McNamara was right that Noffke had burnt his bridges.

India:
Zaheer Khan, Munaf Patel, Ishant Sharma, Kumar, Rudra Pratap Singh, Sreesanth, Vikram Rajvir Singh, and probably hundreds more who'll appear in due course.

Pakistan, with Mohammad Asif, Umar Gul and several others do actually still have a damn good attack, potentially - it's just a) people keep getting into trouble and b) no-one wants to play there currently. Both of which rather put a dampener on things.

There's the usual selection of was-good-but-not-any-mores, class-acts and never-likely-to-amount-to-muchs in there. I'll let the usual "nuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrr, actually __ is ahead of __ in ___'s pecking-order" (the attempt BTW is to not post a pecking-order but actually look at who - Hoggard and Noffke aside - are the best bowlers in the country) posts flow in first before actually having a look at who scores what.

Jigga988

State 12th Man
It's really quite difficult, i am going to disregard Pakistan because i think that they have a decent one day bowling attack but not test, though i havn't seen much tests from them lately.

Regarding England i think they got an abundance of good fast bowlers, i dont think there is anyone stand out, i would like to say Freddy is stand out but his figures suggest otherwise.

With India i reckon you got the opposite problem to England. Sharma and Zaheer are quality fast bowlers but the rest are all scratchy, average bowlers, thought RP could do something but he is beginning to fall off.

I personally think it's between SA and the Aussies. Can't really choose, right now i would still have to go with the Aussies. Just because Lee, Johnson and Clark compliment each other well, after that they arn't totally bare, Siddle hasn't given a bad account of himself in the couple tests he's played.

With SA they probobly have the best fast bowler in Steyn, and then a decent supporting act in what looks like a re-invigorated Ntini, but after that there's Morne Morkel who is not quite there yet and cant really think of anyone else that good in their ranks.