• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Wicketkeeper for 1946-2006 World XI

Wicketkeeper for 1946-2006 World Test XI

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

aussie tragic

International Captain
The selected Wicketkeepers from the 1946-65, 1966-85 and 1986-05 teams are now up for selection in the 1946-2006 World Test XI:

Adam Gilchrist (Aus): 87 tests, 5188 runs @ 48.48, (16/23), HS 204*, 364 dismissals (328/36)

Alan Knott (Eng): 95 tests, 4389 runs @ 32.75, (5/30), HS 135, 269 dismissals (250/19)

John Waite (SA):49 tests, 2336 runs @ 30.33, (4/16), HS 134, 141 dismissals (124/17)

The likely 1946-2006 World Test XI so far (Polls still running):

1. Sunil Gavaskar (51.12)
2. Len Hutton (54.62)
3. Viv Richards (50.23)

Last edited:

oz_fan

International Regular
Gilchrist comfortably. Incredible batting average and more than capable with the gloves.

cameeel

International Captain
Yeah, Gilchrist no contest. Shows how good he is given the caliber of the other two.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Gilly for me. A bit unfair to the other two in my opinion. Back then batting was not important for a wicket keeper. But then again, Gilly was the one who changed all that.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Alan Knott is the greatest wicket-keeper of all time and based purely on that he would be the only choice. But the difference Gilchrist can make with bat outweighs his inferior (but still world class) wicket-keeping.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Alan Knott, who needs a good batsman like Gilchrist, when you have all the amazing strength of the batting lineup there is?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
PhoenixFire said:
Alan Knott, who needs a good batsman like Gilchrist, when you have all the amazing strength of the batting lineup there is?
If we face pre-WWII bowling lineup, meaning Barnes and company, with Bradman in their batting lineup, you don't think we'll need to bat to seven?

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Could you remind what the exact XI is, I seem to be getting muddled up between the All Time XI, and the one were talking about, thanks.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
PhoenixFire said:
Could you remind what the exact XI is, I seem to be getting muddled up between the All Time XI, and the one were talking about, thanks.
This is 1946-2006 XI. After that we'll be picking a Pre-War XI which will presumebly have players like Hobbs & Bradman and not too shabby bowlers either. Given that, I think there is every need to bat down to 7 IMO.