• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Wicketkeeper for 1946-2006 World XI

Wicketkeeper for 1946-2006 World Test XI

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

PhoenixFire

International Coach
I see, but will Gilly be up to keeping against Warne, Laker and Murali on real sticky turners? Sticky turners are a hell of a lot more difficult than dry crumbly turners.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
PhoenixFire said:
I see, but will Gilly be up to keeping against Warne, Laker and Murali on real sticky turners? Sticky turners are a hell of a lot more difficult than dry crumbly turners.
I doubt Laker will be getting into this XI.

archie mac

International Coach
Knott in a canter, easily the best Keeper I have ever watched, makes Gilchrist look 2nd rate with the gloves in comparison

The Match

Knott misses nothing and scores 12 and 21 with the bat

Gilly misses two tough chances and scores 43 and 55 with the bat

The two he misses go on to score another 123 runs.

Give me the best keeper

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Your dismissals stats are wrong for Gilchrist (haven't checked the others) he has the most ever - whatever it is now.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
archie mac said:
Knott in a canter, easily the best Keeper I have ever watched, makes Gilchrist look 2nd rate with the gloves in comparison

The Match

Knott misses nothing and scores 12 and 21 with the bat

Gilly misses two tough chances and scores 43 and 55 with the bat

The two he misses go on to score another 123 runs.

Give me the best keeper
Why does he have so fewer dismissals then?

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
Maybe had he kept to a world class bowling attack he'd have got more chances?
Sure? I'm not being a prat about this considering I'm not too knowledgeable in the keeping-aspect. I wonder if anyone can make an argument to show the real difference in that though? There are still 11 wickets to take from each team - regardless of how good your bowlers are.

I reckon Adam is a very good keep and I don't really recall him missing a lot of 'tough chances'. He is more than solid and more than athletic. How much better could you actually be? I mean Knott is behind quite a bit.

archie mac

International Coach
KaZoH0lic said:
Why does he have so fewer dismissals then?

Gil Langley who kept wicket for Aust. said a Keeper should not be judged on how many dismissals he makes but on how many he does not miss.

A hard stat but I can't remember seeing Knott miss any, though I am sure he did:)

Matt79

Global Moderator
KaZoH0lic said:
Sure? I'm not being a prat about this considering I'm not too knowledgeable in the keeping-aspect. I wonder if anyone can make an argument to show the real difference in that though? There are still 11 wickets to take from each team - regardless of how good your bowlers are.

I reckon Adam is a very good keep and I don't really recall him missing a lot of 'tough chances'. He is more than solid and more than athletic. How much better could you actually be? I mean Knott is behind quite a bit.
Stats can't really tell us much about the relative quality of two keepers - apart from maybe the byes conceded per innings. Nobody, to my knowledge, has kept detailed stats of dropped catches, and resultant runs, so we're left with what people have seen with their eyes, and written about.

shortpitched713

International Captain
Sanga is still easily underrated though. His Test average is now above Gilchrist's, and he's no Geraint Jones with the gloves either. I think he can eventually surpass Gilchrist, if only the SL selectors don't keep picking Jayawardene to take the gloves. :@

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
To be fair to Geraint, his keeping has come on in leaps and bounds in the last year.

Unfortunately his batting has gone in reverese.

archie mac

International Coach
marc71178 said:
To be fair to Geraint, his keeping has come on in leaps and bounds in the last year.

Unfortunately his batting has gone in reverese.

True, but would you rate him the best keeper in England ?

JBH001

International Regular
Alan Knott for me.

For reasons mentioned already - and I doubt Gillys run scoring abilities on sticky dogs.

(not that my vote is going to make much difference anyways)

bagapath

International Captain
even though i voted for gilly and i am happy he is winning this, it is still good to see knott getting some considerable support. a champ like him most certainly deserves this kind of respect.

aussie tragic

International Captain
KaZoH0lic said:
Your dismissals stats are wrong for Gilchrist (haven't checked the others) he has the most ever - whatever it is now.
umm.. no they're not (of course I'm not counting the current match in Perth) and Healy still holds the most dismissals ever :)

All time record:

Healy: 395 (366/29) --- 119 tests
Gilchrist: 364 (328/36) ---- 87 tests
Boucher: 364 (350/14) --- 96 tests
Marsh: 355 (343/12) --- 96 tests

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Wow, impressive. Healy only averaged 3.3 dismissals per test where Gilly is averaging 4+. Those stats favor Gilly, really.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
aussie tragic said:
umm.. no they're not (of course I'm not counting the current match in Perth) and Healy still holds the most dismissals ever :)

All time record:

Healy: 395 (366/29) --- 119 tests
Gilchrist: 364 (328/36) ---- 87 tests
Boucher: 364 (350/14) --- 96 tests
Marsh: 355 (343/12) --- 96 tests
*Gets his Guiness World Records 2007 book*

Wicket-Keeping - Most Dismissals (Career)

Adam Gilchrist (Australia) secured a total of 384 dismissals (342 catches, 42 stumpings) in 239 matches between 1996 and 2006.

I guess I understood it wrong or Guiness needs to be shot?

aussie tragic

International Captain
KaZoH0lic said:
*Gets his Guiness World Records 2007 book*

Wicket-Keeping - Most Dismissals (Career)

Adam Gilchrist (Australia) secured a total of 384 dismissals (342 catches, 42 stumpings) in 239 matches between 1996 and 2006.

I guess I understood it wrong or Guiness needs to be shot?
I think you must be talking about ODI's. Gilchrist now has 406 dismissals (360c/46st) from 247 ODI matches ;)

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
aussie tragic said:
I think you must be talking about ODI's. Gilchrist now has 406 dismissals (360c/46st) from 247 ODI matches ;)
I think you're right. :wacko: Well, told ya I didn't pay too much attention to WK. :laugh: