• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Jacques Kallis v Rahul Dravid

Slow Love™

International Captain
The Sean said:
Exactly right mate, and it was interesting to see the two points of view on that - some said that he was being selfish and exposing the tail so he'd get the red ink, others claimed it showed faith in them and gave them extra confidence. Chappelli, needless to say, was one of the former, and also had it in for Tugga over his announcing his retirement before the India series and so having a whole grand "Steve Waugh Farewell Tour" thing.

Personally I'm with you though - I think the man's a legend. He might have had a lot not-outs, but the number of backs-to-the-wall tons he made for us over the years, for his leadership by example of the Australian team, for his imbuing of both the Australian team and the Australian cricketing public with a respect for the history and traditions of the game not seen for many years, I reckon he more than earned the right to a few average-boosting red-inks next to his name.
Couldn't agree more.

Chappell annoyance at Waugh's final series hoo-hah was pretty unfair anyway, seeing as I think Waugh himself was a bit embarrassed by it all, and it only happened because of public comments by the selectors as to the safety of his test place, which precipitated his announcement. I've never really bought the story that Australia underperformed that series because they were distracted by Waugh's farewell either.