• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* NZ Cricket Player Signings

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Strike OVER. All first class players available for selection for the domestic season which begins in 2 weeks

[Edited on 11/11/2002 by Tim]

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Its a sad situation at the moment, Mark Tulloch from Wellington said he had received 4 abusive phone calls.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Tamara whats the deal on this Canterbury squad? is it youthful or mixed?

I know from my friends & relations down in CHCH that the likes of Peter Borren, Neil Broom & Leighton Burt are good Under 19 players.

Andre

International Regular
So the team would be:
C Spearman (C)
A Noname
B Noname
C Noname
D Noname
E Noname
B Yock
J Wilson
F Noname
G Noname
H Noname
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I seriously doubt they'd pick Ben Yock. Players like Peter Borren, Neil Broom & Leighton Burtt who played for the NZ U19's this year have a good chance.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
I dunno if Spearman is eligible to be picked any more as he's buggered off to England to play under an EU Passport, strangely he did quite well :wow: I dunno if that's just International or not...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
He's playing as a foreigner!

Must be the first case of a Kiwi playing as a foreigner in New Zealand, but a local in England?

Is he exchange for Twose?

Andre

International Regular
I have a feeling in a situation like this Spearman would get a dispensation from the ICC to play for NZ for the good of the game.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Originally posted by Andre
I have a feeling in a situation like this Spearman would get a dispensation from the ICC to play for NZ for the good of the game.
Hmmmm but he's trying to be a European in order to play in England as a non-overseas player...he has to either be committed to NZ or County Cricket, not both.

[Edited on 9/11/2002 by Rik]

Andre

International Regular
Yes I know that. What I am saying is that for the good of cricket the ICC would make an allowance.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Spearman went to England last year because he had a job offer, however he was approached by John Bracewell to play for Gloustershire, and since he had parent heritage from England he was allowed to play.

I think Spearman would definately be available for NZ, because he's represented NZ before & because he only spent one season in England.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
If he does play for NZ, it'll end his career as an English quailifed player over here - the ECB won't allow him to play as an English qualified if he's playing for NZ - don't want another Symonds on our hands.

As Glouscestershire have already signed up Harvey and Rhodes, he'd have to rely on someone else wanting him then.

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
Originally posted by Tim
Tamara whats the deal on this Canterbury squad? is it youthful or mixed?

I know from my friends & relations down in CHCH that the likes of Peter Borren, Neil Broom & Leighton Burt are good Under 19 players.
The team has 2 17 year old players in it and a few players that played in the under 19 world cup. I had never heard of a few of them myself. Andrew Buckingham and Todd Elliot are from my province and both great players but I believe they will struggle at a higher level. It will be interesting to see how they all go.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Originally posted by marc71178
If he does play for NZ, it'll end his career as an English quailifed player over here - the ECB won't allow him to play as an English qualified if he's playing for NZ - don't want another Symonds on our hands.

As Glouscestershire have already signed up Harvey and Rhodes, he'd have to rely on someone else wanting him then.
Its the old choice of money or international career? I think he'll take the money...he's had much more success in England than he ever had in NZ or in International Cricket.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Good news anyway that the player deadlock could be over soon now that Fleming & Cairns are doing the negotiating for the players.
It seems they are making some good progress and we might see an announcement on Monday or Tuesday.

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
"Mohammad Wasim"

Pakistani international ? How good is he anyone know ?

Auckland should sign some players they need some in the middle order department i think

anzac

International Debutant
hopefully we'll have some good news soon :(

the current situation makes the Pakistan team problems pale in comparison - the only good thing for NZ cricket is they haven't had to play any cricket during this time - if they had then Pakistan's performances would be looking good by comparison!!!!!

:P

Andre

International Regular
I personally rate Mohommad Wasim. He one of those extremely talented Pakistani batsmne who can bat from 1-6 brilliantly, but also copped their '1 bad innings and your gone' policy.