• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What makes Stuart Clark so good ATM?

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Obviously for Australia he's done even better. But he's merely turned good to exceptional, not gone from poor to good.
From domestic 'good' to Test 'exceptional' is quite a large jump though.

Do people believe that he could go through his career and finish Test cricket with his currently Ambrose-esque record?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I doubt it, if only because hardly anyone ever has. I wouldn't imagine Clark will play for more than another 4 years or so anyway.

But if anyone at the current time could, I daresay he might.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Clarke is better than mcgrath was at this stage(International matches played) in his career.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
True, though he was older, and amore complete bowler when he came into test cricket than McGrath was.
Let's just say I'm somewhat looking forward to a (hopefully) fit and in-form Clark bowling in England next year.

Top_Cat

True, though he was older, and amore complete bowler when he came into test cricket than McGrath was.
Let's just say I'm somewhat looking forward to a (hopefully) fit and in-form Clark bowling in England next year.
I'd go so far as to say he'll be the difference between the two sides, especially if Simon Jones continues his progress on the comeback trail and plays in that series.

itduzz

Banned
Clark has played mostly in Aus & SA helpful pitches. His real test will come later this year in Ind & Pak next yr. If he does well there too then I'll consider him a gr8 bowler. Right now hes just a green top bully. :laugh:

Top_Cat

Clark has played mostly in Aus & SA helpful pitches. His real test will come later this year in Ind & Pak next yr. If he does well there too then I'll consider him a gr8 bowler. Right now hes just a green top bully. :laugh:
You kid. Both of his series' in Aus have been played on the flattest pitches in living memory. Not one pitch has offered him anything resembling consistent seam movement.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Clark has played mostly in Aus & SA helpful pitches. His real test will come later this year in Ind & Pak next yr. If he does well there too then I'll consider him a gr8 bowler. Right now hes just a green top bully.
8-) 8-)

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
I think there was a thread on here at the start of the year allowing posters to discuss their predictions for 08 (or maybe I was talking to a guy in my team) and I stated that Clark would fall into mediocrity...

biased indian

International Coach
You kid. Both of his series' in Aus have been played on the flattest pitches in living memory. Not one pitch has offered him anything resembling consistent seam movement.
And he did struggle aganist Ind and SL in Aus

21 Wickets from 6 matches @ Avg of 31 and SR of 64

Top_Cat

And he did struggle aganist Ind and SL in Aus

21 Wickets from 6 matches @ Avg of 31 and SR of 64
Exactly. He's only played very few Tests anyway but certainly, only the South Africa series was on decks which helped the pacers and even then, they weren't outrageous. Some seam movement but far from unplayable monsters.

biased indian

International Coach
he is very much capable of doing what Mcgrath did...but the real question is will he be able to do the consistency thing consistently :)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Haha, seriously Corey, itduzz isn't worth bothering about.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
One thing he's benefited from in Australia that he won't to same extent in other countries is bounce. The pitches in Australia have slowed down a bit, but there is still significantly more bounce - even if at times slow bounce - on Australian wickets than on pitches elsewhere else in the world. Given his height and the length he bowls, this is obviously a big factor for him.

Before this summer, I was quite sure he'd struggle on the subcontinent, especially with McGrath and Warne out of the equation. Despite the fact that he "struggled" (honestly, you know you're going well when you struggle to a series average of 31 with the ball on flat pitches against an awesome batting lineup), I've changed my mind on that a bit - he has more tricks up his sleeve than I originally thought. I'm still not completely confident he'll succeed in India but it really wouldn't shock me if he did.

Top_Cat

One thing he's benefited from in Australia that he won't to same extent in other countries is bounce. The pitches in Australia have slowed down a bit, but there is still significantly more bounce - even if at times slow bounce - on Australian wickets than on pitches elsewhere else in the world. Given his height and the length he bowls, this is obviously a big factor for him.

Before this summer, I was quite sure he'd struggle on the subcontinent, especially with McGrath and Warne out of the equation. Despite the fact that he "struggled" (honestly, you know you're going well when you struggle to a series average of 31 with the ball on flat pitches against an awesome batting lineup), I've changed my mind on that a bit - he has more tricks up his sleeve than I originally thought. I'm still not completely confident he'll succeed in India but it really wouldn't shock me if he did.
I thought only the MCG had any usable bounce. The WACA, Adelaide and to a slightly lesser extent Sydney were very, very flat.