• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

NZ Cricket Players Dispute

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Can someone in NZ please give me some idea what's happening, as the UK media reports so far have given me this much info:

1) Someone called Martin Snedden is involved on the part of NZ Cricket

2) Players want more money

3) 120 Players haven't signed

4) NZ picking unknowns v India

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Ok here we go Neil...

Since July New Zealand Cricket have been dealing with the newly formed Players Association which encompasses all first class players, 128 players if im correct.

Now at the moment we've got to the point where the NZC run by Martin Snedden (a lawyer by trade) has called off negotiations after 6 months because he believes that the terms the players are after are far too un-reasonable e.g. a 30% payrise for all first class players & then some more for the international players. The NZC offered them an 18% payrise which was turned down & said they could no longer negotiate, that was there final offer & now they are attempting to individually sign players. The Players Association stated that this is an attempt to break the unity of the players & is a sign that they want the Association squashed.

Currently the NZ state sides are being selected, Canterbury has already said that they are selecting a mix of U19 & Veterans for their warm-up matches.
Whoever the new players are who are being called up to their respective regions they will come under close watch from the NZ selectors unless the 128 first class players return to work.

Its not like the 128 players aren't playing at all, infact now that they're completely out of the domestic scene, they are playing for their clubs & provinces which could be regarded as a good thing for younger players. So at least they are staying committed to cricket & keeping in some kind of shape incase all this does blow over.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
An interesting update here...

Regions have now begun picking off first class players to sign to play first class cricket this season. And alot of them seem to be Academy or U19 players.

Wellington have signed Stu Mills, Sam Fairley, Ben Jansen & Mark Tulloch. Many of them are unknowns but are believed to have some skill about them.

Central Districts have signed Craig Spearman because he was classified as an overseas player after using parent heritage to play for Gloucestershire.

This is starting to remind me about the Super League debacle back in 1997.

Kimbo

International Debutant
Well if you ask me they are just being greedy. Geez... the women dont get paid at all!

anzac

International Debutant
don't forget that Sneddon is a former medium pacer for Auckland & NZ - from the Geoff Crowe era or there abouts, so he is not just 'a lawyer by trade'.......

(this is not meant as any endorsement for him or otherwise, just that he has more of a cricketing background in the game than just as a lawyer or administrator)

:)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I've just seen Cairns and Fleming have taken over negotiations - hopefully sort it out soon.

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
Horrible to see such disputes erupt. I think that the world of cricket has seen more crisis then anyone could imagine. NZ was the last quarter that one would expect trouble though. Evidently there is hope now that Cairns and Fleming have taken over negotiations. For the good of cricket I just pray that all such things blow away quickly.

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
It reminds me of a dispute that broke out in Pakistan while A.H.Kardar used to manage things here. It was too regarding pay rises and a similar player union thing was the issue then as well.
All i can say is that both sides are to be blamed. Players have to be reasonable with their demands and officials need to be less rigid and more understanding.