• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best venue in the world

Matt79

Global Moderator
What do people reckon is the best stadium in the world for cricket? I'd nominate Lords, the MCG, and Eden Gardens as front-runners...

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The MCG for me.

As much as I'd like to vote for my home ground, it's definitely not Eden Park. :(

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
It's a tough one here. I'd nominate one from each country. You choose the best.
  • Australia: SCG
  • England: Lords (or Oval?)
  • India: PCA Ground, Mohali
  • New Zealand: Basin Reserve?
  • Pakistan: Gaddafi, Lahore
  • South Africa: Newlands, Cape Town
  • Sri Lanka: Dambulla
  • West Indies: Kingston

Dravid

International Captain
If I was a player, I would love to play at Eden Gardens. 100,000 people sitting in the stands, about 10,000 more climb the floodlights, about 10,000 sitting on the top of the stands. What can be better than so many people watching you.

Marius

International Debutant
Considering the fact that Wanderers hosted the CWC final I'd have to say that's the best ground in SA. And it is a nice place to watch cricket (so is Centurion for that matter). I'll probably be at Wanderers on Saturday. I've never watched a cricket match at Lord's but I went on a tour there when I was in London, and that was pretty awesome. Looks like a nice place to watch cricket.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Matt79 said:
What do people reckon is the best stadium in the world for cricket? I'd nominate Lords, the MCG, and Eden Gardens as front-runners...
Pretty handy three to start with as frontrunners - I've sadly never been to Eden Gardens but have been to the other two. Lord's has a charm and mystique all its own, even with the modernisations of recent years you can still truly feel the history and tradition oozing out of every corner of it.

The G is a more curious beast - in terms of watching cricket, I wouldn't even say it's the best in Australia let alone the world (SCG and Gabba I reckon give better views of the action in the middle) but it stands alone in terms of the raw, colloseum-esque energy it generates. I imagine Eden Gardens and a number of other subcontinent stadia must feel the same.

I've never experienced the grounds in South Africa or the Caribbean so I can't really comment on them, though The Wanderers receives rave reviews from anyone who has ever been near the place so I'm prepared to accept it must be something pretty special too.

My life goal has always been to set foot on all 7 continents, and I'm not far off now. But I think a more worthy goal now is to go to every Test ground in the world - and I'm still a long way from achieving that...

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Considering the impressive Football stadia we have, and that Twickenham is pretty impressive, our Cricket grounds are pretty poor IMO. Capacities are fairly low and to go slightly off topic, it's a disgrace that London gets three Tests out of seven a year, absolute joke.

MCG for me

Fusion

Global Moderator
Never been to it, but MCG looks the most impressive on TV and from pics. Would love to attend a match there some day.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Lord's is pretty awesome. The Rose Bowl is very picturesque, but obviously isn't as big as the others. The Oval is great, and Taunton has a really good atmosphere too. Those are all the grounds I've been to when they're full.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
At Lords you're aware of the history surrounding it and in a quiet moment you can imagine all the greats from history treading the turf and there are still momento's of a bygone age. The same is not quite true of many of the Australian grounds, although the actual playing area is the same piece of ground, the surroundings have been turned into vast concrete bowls. Although they're great places to watch cricket, you don't get the same sense of history.

Slifer

International Captain
Sabina park or the QPO (queens park oval). both for the intimacy and sheer atmosphere

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
andmark said:
I would either say the MCG or Old Trafford
I gather you've never been there? Doesn't deserve Test cricket at the moment, but should improve with the rebuilding work.

cover drive man

International Captain
Jungle Jumbo said:
I gather you've never been there? Doesn't deserve Test cricket at the moment, but should improve with the rebuilding work.
Andmark says that because every year we go to a match at old trafford and it's great so don't knock andmark down. Have you ever been to old trafford.

Last edited: