Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17

Thread: Pitches Killing NZ Spinners

  1. #1
    Cricket Web Owner James's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    23,866

    Pitches Killing NZ Spinners


  2. #2
    The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    37,811
    Opposite of India, I suppose.

    In any case, IMO every country should have a couple pitches for seam, a couple pitches for bounce, a couple that turn, a couple for the batsmen, and at least one complete nightmarish pitch just to keep the bullies in line .

    You want to produce complete cricketers that do well in most types of pitches, even if they aren't as dominant on one type.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

    How the Universe came from nothing

  3. #3
    International Regular 16 tins of Spam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Your mom's house
    Posts
    3,557
    Pffft. Like this sort of thing hasn't been said a hundred times before. We have bugger-all spinners now, we've had bugger-all spinners in the past, and...... you get the picture
    Member of the Newtown Cricket Club since January '06 - "Per commissum ad taberna"
    Honorary Vice-President of the "Twenty20 Is Boring Society"

  4. #4
    Hall of Fame Member chaminda_00's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Murali CG
    Posts
    16,305
    Quote Originally Posted by 16 tins of Spam
    Pffft. Like this sort of thing hasn't been said a hundred times before. We have bugger-all spinners now, we've had bugger-all spinners in the past, and...... you get the picture
    You can't produce spinners unless you produce pitches that support them, same applies for quicks really.
    The man, the mountain, the Mathews. The greatest all rounder since Keith Miller. (Y)

    Jaffna Jets CC (Battrick & FTP)

    RIP WCC and CW Cricket

    Member of the MSC, JMAS and CVAAS


  5. #5
    Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Oxford, England
    Posts
    26,854
    Be grateful that you only need one spinner rather than three quicks, so you're not as horrendously stuffed as India are when it comes to getting on an aeroplane.
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

    Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

    Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

  6. #6
    The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    37,811
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Pickup
    Be grateful that you only need one spinner rather than three quicks, so you're not as horrendously stuffed as India are when it comes to getting on an aeroplane.
    Yup.

  7. #7
    The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    37,811
    Quote Originally Posted by chaminda_00
    You can't produce spinners unless you produce pitches that support them, same applies for quicks really.
    Not sure about that. Pakistan has produced some good quality fast bowling despite the pitches being roads quite often.

  8. #8
    The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    37,811
    I think its because Spin bowling is learned, pace bowling is born.

  9. #9
    Hall of Fame Member chaminda_00's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Murali CG
    Posts
    16,305
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker
    Not sure about that. Pakistan has produced some good quality fast bowling despite the pitches being roads quite often.
    There pitches are considerable more supportive to seamers then India or Sri Lanka.

  10. #10
    The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    37,811
    Quote Originally Posted by chaminda_00
    There pitches are considerable more supportive to seamers then India or Sri Lanka.
    The Graveyard of Fast Bowlers?

  11. #11
    Hall of Fame Member chaminda_00's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Murali CG
    Posts
    16,305
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker
    I think its because Spin bowling is learned, pace bowling is born.
    I would say its the other way, the first thing most young cricketers are taught is how to bowl pace, so its really learned. Whereas as most quality spinners its just a natural thing, either you have it or you don't

  12. #12
    The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    37,811
    Quote Originally Posted by chaminda_00
    I would say its the other way, the first thing most young cricketers are taught is how to bowl pace, so its really learned. Whereas as most quality spinners its just a natural thing, either you have it or you don't
    Mate, if you know of a place where kids can bowl 85mph+ by the bunch, please let me know where I can find it.

  13. #13
    Hall of Fame Member chaminda_00's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Murali CG
    Posts
    16,305
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker
    Mate, if you know of a place where kids can bowl 85mph+ by the bunch, please let me know where I can find it.
    Obvisously they don't get taught how to ball fast, that the only natural thing about fast bowling.

  14. #14
    The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    37,811
    Quote Originally Posted by chaminda_00
    Obvisously they don't get taught how to ball fast, that the only natural thing about fast bowling.
    Thats the #1 prerequisite. Then everything else comes in.

  15. #15
    Hall of Fame Member chaminda_00's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Murali CG
    Posts
    16,305
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker
    Thats the #1 prerequisite. Then everything else comes in.
    Not really if you look at Test Cricket now, three of the best fast bowlers are Vaas, Pollock and McGarth and most grade bowlers in Australia would be faster then them. There is more to pace bowling then how fast you are, it helps but its not the #1 prerequistie.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. indian pitches?
    By abu in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 31-10-2006, 06:46 PM
  2. World Cup pitches questionable
    By Hazza in forum World Cup 2007
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-10-2006, 07:47 AM
  3. Mahmood and Panesar power England to series glory
    By symonds_94 in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-08-2006, 10:11 AM
  4. Calling all Off Spinners!
    By chaminda_00 in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 12-04-2006, 11:51 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •