• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pitches Killing NZ Spinners

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Opposite of India, I suppose.

In any case, IMO every country should have a couple pitches for seam, a couple pitches for bounce, a couple that turn, a couple for the batsmen, and at least one complete nightmarish pitch just to keep the bullies in line ;).

You want to produce complete cricketers that do well in most types of pitches, even if they aren't as dominant on one type.

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
Pffft. Like this sort of thing hasn't been said a hundred times before. We have bugger-all spinners now, we've had bugger-all spinners in the past, and...... you get the picture :p

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
16 tins of Spam said:
Pffft. Like this sort of thing hasn't been said a hundred times before. We have bugger-all spinners now, we've had bugger-all spinners in the past, and...... you get the picture :p
You can't produce spinners unless you produce pitches that support them, same applies for quicks really.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Be grateful that you only need one spinner rather than three quicks, so you're not as horrendously stuffed as India are when it comes to getting on an aeroplane.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Neil Pickup said:
Be grateful that you only need one spinner rather than three quicks, so you're not as horrendously stuffed as India are when it comes to getting on an aeroplane.
Yup.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
chaminda_00 said:
You can't produce spinners unless you produce pitches that support them, same applies for quicks really.
Not sure about that. Pakistan has produced some good quality fast bowling despite the pitches being roads quite often.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
silentstriker said:
Not sure about that. Pakistan has produced some good quality fast bowling despite the pitches being roads quite often.
There pitches are considerable more supportive to seamers then India or Sri Lanka.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
silentstriker said:
I think its because Spin bowling is learned, pace bowling is born.
I would say its the other way, the first thing most young cricketers are taught is how to bowl pace, so its really learned. Whereas as most quality spinners its just a natural thing, either you have it or you don't

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
chaminda_00 said:
I would say its the other way, the first thing most young cricketers are taught is how to bowl pace, so its really learned. Whereas as most quality spinners its just a natural thing, either you have it or you don't
Mate, if you know of a place where kids can bowl 85mph+ by the bunch, please let me know where I can find it.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
silentstriker said:
Mate, if you know of a place where kids can bowl 85mph+ by the bunch, please let me know where I can find it.
Obvisously they don't get taught how to ball fast, that the only natural thing about fast bowling.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
silentstriker said:
Thats the #1 prerequisite. Then everything else comes in.
Not really if you look at Test Cricket now, three of the best fast bowlers are Vaas, Pollock and McGarth and most grade bowlers in Australia would be faster then them. There is more to pace bowling then how fast you are, it helps but its not the #1 prerequistie.

shortpitched713

International Captain
Neil Pickup said:
Theoretically, you only need two really to soften up the new ball. I know I wouldn't be too stuffed with an attack of McGrath, Ntini, Murali, Warne, and Kumble. Heck I could see an attack of Pathan, Agarkar and the three spinners mentioned winning matches overseas.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
16 tins of Spam said:
Actually, with Daniel Vettori, Jeetan Patel, Nathan McCullum and Bruce Martin we have some pretty good spinners. I've always thought we should try and make one of the grounds quite succeptible to spin in a way similar to the SCG.