• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The next English Wicketkeeper?

masterblaster

International Captain
Who should it be?
Chris Read, Jamie Foster, Mark Wallace, Michael Burns, Andrew Pratt??

I think Chris Read definitely should get the go ahead, his batting and keeping are pretty good and is only young

Andre

International Regular
I say Read too, hie only problem being that he is not from a 'fashionable' county. It will probably end up as that Surrey bloke Jonothan Batty!

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Originally posted by masterblaster
Who should it be?
Chris Read, Jamie Foster, Mark Wallace, Michael Burns, Andrew Pratt??

I think Chris Read definitely should get the go ahead, his batting and keeping are pretty good and is only young
Michael Burns??? Eh? This guy is a backup keeper, not very young and doesn't even keep for his county, Somerset. What about David Nash or Mark Wallace?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Originally posted by Andre
I say Read too, hie only problem being that he is not from a 'fashionable' county. It will probably end up as that Surrey bloke Jonothan Batty!
I see Neil and my feelings are now global!

thethirdumpire

Cricket Spectator
Well Alec Stewart said that it was Toby Bailey of northants when asked who wa sthe bets young keeper

Personally i like the look of Ambrose of sussex

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
If Jonathan Batty gets anywhere near England's squad next season then I'm applying for Nepalese citizenship and becoming a Buddhist monk.

Bazza

International 12th Man
I have been saying all along CHRIS READ. He didn't do much wrong and still has the ability. He is not too old and could easily give 10 years of service still. Unfortunately the idea seems to be finding another Stewart - get a guy who can bat a bit and teach him to keep wicket. :(

I have been a fan or Chris Read since I first saw him in 1999, but unfortunately that image of him ducking into Chris Cairns' slower ball will probably stay in the selectors minds and haunt him forever...