• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

# 3 for 1946-2006 World Test XI

# 3 Position for 1946-2006 World Test XI

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

aussie tragic

International Captain
Now for the # 3 for the 1946-2006 World Test XI

Ricky Ponting (Aus): 107 tests, 9239 runs @ 59.99, HS 257, (33/35), 121 catches

Viv Richards (WI): 121 tests, 8540 runs @ 50.23, HS 291, (24/45), 122 catches

Clyde Walcott (WI): 44 tests, 3798 runs @ 56.68, HS 220, (15/14), 53 catches (incl. 15 tests as WK)

btw, the two runner-ups will go into the # 4 Poll

The Middle Order Candidates

3. Ricky Ponting --------------- Viv Richards -------------- Clyde Walcott
4. Sachin Tendulkar ---------- Greg Chappell ----------- Everton Weekes
5. Brian Lara -------------------- Gary Sobers -------------- Frank Worrell

Last edited:

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Lillian Thomson said:
No contest, Viv.
Precisely. And rather than being an insult or disrespect to Punter or Walcott, the fact that he can so comprehensively outrank two such fantastic batsmen is actually a testament to just how great Sir Viv was.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Viv is the best batsman out of the three. However, I voted for Ponting because I feel Viv would be better in the side a little bit down the order.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
silentstriker said:
Viv is the best batsman out of the three. However, I voted for Ponting because I feel Viv would be better in the side a little bit down the order.
That's fair enough - though putting Viv at 4 or 5 for me would mean leaving out Lara or Tendulkar, and as highly as I rate Punter I'd rather have Richards-Tendulkar-Lara than Ponting-Tendulkar-Richards.

aussie tragic

International Captain
The Sean said:
That's fair enough - though putting Viv at 4 or 5 for me would mean leaving out Lara or Tendulkar, and as highly as I rate Punter I'd rather have Richards-Tendulkar-Lara than Ponting-Tendulkar-Richards.
Sobers is up for the # 5 slot as that's where he is in the 1966-85 XI :)

Fusion

Global Moderator
The Sean said:
Precisely. And rather than being an insult or disrespect to Punter or Walcott, the fact that he can so comprehensively outrank two such fantastic batsmen is actually a testament to just how great Sir Viv was.

Ditto.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Viv has to be in the side, Ponting doesn't, and Viv could be squeezed out when up against the aforementioned Lara, Tendulkar and Sobers - although he would still get my vote above all of them.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
aussie tragic said:
Sobers is up for the # 5 slot as that's where he is in the 1966-85 XI :)
Hmmm....interesting - I wonder will Sobers get picked at 5 or 6? He has to make the side so I suppose it depends on if the consensus is 4 batsmen, Sobers at 5, then an allrounder, or 5 batsmen and Sobers.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
The Sean said:
Hmmm....interesting - I wonder will Sobers get picked at 5 or 6? He has to make the side so I suppose it depends on if the consensus is 4 batsmen, Sobers at 5, then an allrounder, or 5 batsmen and Sobers.

Personally, I won't be picking an all rounder, my reason being what I said in the main thread.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
silentstriker said:
Personally, I won't be picking an all rounder, my reason being what I said in the main thread.
Fair enough, so you'd pick Ponting-SRT-Richards-Sobers, and Lara to watch from the stands?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
The Sean said:
Fair enough, so you'd pick Ponting-SRT-Richards-Sobers, and Lara to watch from the stands?
Yup. Though I wouldn't mind it really if it was a lineup of Richards-SRT-Lara-Sobers. Both are fine in my mind.

No all rounder though, for me.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Well, I admitted he was a great batsman in around 2005, but I was very unimpressed in his early career. I'm not being biased, but he was actually shocking against Harbhajan in India 00/01.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
PhoenixFire said:
Well, I admitted he was a great batsman in around 2005, but I was very unimpressed in his early career. I'm not being biased, but he was actually shocking against Harbhajan in India 00/01.
He still is in India, thats why I don't put him at SRT-Lara. But if he keeps his form up for another year, or drops off but then makes up for it in a tour in India, then he has done enough to be ranked alongside the two.

If he keeps the form up for another year, I will discount his India record for his sheer weight of performances everywhere else.